Advice please regarding pregnant cat.

majenta mynx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Aww congratulations!! 

I've been at work and just got home and the first thing I did was check here! I'm sure no. 5 will be fine with some extra TLC :) Well done Jessie! Looking forward to seeing pics! x

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry I've not updated since going to the vets. We lost kitten number 5 and Jessie isn't doing too well either. We have the 4 kittens at home with us now but Jessie is in the vets over the weekend. She had a delayed adverse reaction to the anesthetic they used during the operation and isn't well at all. My heart is broken for the kitten we lost and my heart is aching to have Jessie better and back home where she belongs. As you can imagine I've been mega busy since getting home with 3 kids and 4 newborn kittens.
So I will upload the pictures I've taken of the little beauties once I've fed them again and got them nice and warm in their kitty box.
Kitten 1 weighs 100g
Kitten 2 weighs 103g
Kitten 3 weighs 100g
Kitten 4 weighs 105g
So pretty good weights I 'think'

majenta mynx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh wow, so sorry to hear about no. 5 :( That's so sad :( And also sorry to hear about Jessie. She's in good hands tho and I'm keeping everything crossed for her <3 

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you with your own brood and Jessie's babies! x

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Poor Jessie! Neither you nor Jessie needed that to happen. Were you able to see her?

What exactly is going on, and who looks after her on the weekend at the vet? Are they open tomorrow for you to have a visit with her?

I'm so sorry about #5. That's a shame.

You'll have your hands full feeding 4 little ones. Thanks for the weights. Not bad for newborns! [emoji]128077[/emoji]

How much and how often are you feeding them? Are you syringing? Are you pottying them? Are you using the heat pad for warmth for them?

I imagine this is overwhelming for you. Post pictures when you can - no rush.

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Poor Jessie! Neither you nor Jessie needed that to happen. Were you able to see her?

What exactly is going on, and who looks after her on the weekend at the vet? Are they open tomorrow for you to have a visit with her?

I'm so sorry about #5. That's a shame.

You'll have your hands full feeding 4 little ones. Thanks for the weights. Not bad for newborns! [emoji]128077[/emoji]

How much and how often are you feeding them? Are you syringing? Are you pottying them? Are you using the heat pad for warmth for them?

I imagine this is overwhelming for you. Post pictures when you can - no rush.
I went to see them and when I got there I noticed Jessie just wasn't right, obviously I knew she was exhausted from everything she's been through but I just felt like she wasn't looking 'normal' so I asked the vet back into the room and he checked her breathing and heartbeat and told me he had to take her into the treatment room, I stayed with the 4 kittens (number 5 had passed while I was on my way to the vets) and the vet came back and told me Jessie was resting on a drip and she had a delayed reaction to the type of anaesthetic they used during the procedure, he said she was very unwell but he's positive she will make a full recovery but he wasn't willing to allow her home when she was un well especially with it being over the weekend and he knew my financial situation and knew I couldn't afford emergency vet fees. So I agreed that it was for the best but agreed to bring the kittens home as Jessie wasn't well enough to nurse them. The vets is open 24 hours but closed to patients at the weekend (my vets partner has an apartment joined onto the vet building) so she checks in every 2 hours through out the night and he and his other colleague are in from 9 till 6 during the day plus they have cameras throughout the full building which both have 24 hour access to in their own homes. I'm allowed to go and visit her tomorrow and Sunday but will only be a quick visit due to the policy of the public not allowed access over the weekend.
I'm using little bottles that the vet has given me (I did buy syringes myself for the kitten supply box) as he suggested it may be easier for them to take as it's almost identical to a queens nipple. 3 of the kittens are taking 2oz every 2ish hours and 1 of them is taking 3oz every 2 hours.
I'm using a warm wet face cloth to rub on the kittens stomachs to help them do the toilet and so far it's been working. I've also got rice bag type things that I put in the microwave to heat up for under the covers in the kittens box to keep them warm. I'm trying to learn and remember what the vet said as I go but it's so stressfull. I'm just hoping I'm doing everything the right way for them.
We have 3 black boys and 1 black white and ginger girl. The kitten who passed was a black and white with a spot of ginger girl.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like you are doing everything right to me!

If Jessie is better tomorrow are you allowed to bring her home early, or was the vet set on keeping her all weekend? I'm glad you noticed she wasn't herself.

It sounds like the kittens are not fighting the bottles, which is great! You know you have to feed through the night too, right?

I'll bet they gain weight by tomorrow! Ask any questions you may have! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you are doing everything right to me!

If Jessie is better tomorrow are you allowed to bring her home early, or was the vet set on keeping her all weekend? I'm glad you noticed she wasn't herself.

It sounds like the kittens are not fighting the bottles, which is great! You know you have to feed through the night too, right?

I'll bet they gain weight by tomorrow! Ask any questions you may have! [emoji]128522[/emoji]
I didn't think to ask if I could get her home, I could hardly take any of the information in as I was in shock I think. I'm still a bit shocked if I'm honest. I didn't think I would be coming home with just the kittens. I've been so used to spending every night keeping an eye on Jessie that tonight I feel lost. Yeah, I've set an alarm for every 2 hours but I doubt I will sleep anyway.
Thank you so much.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Was not expecting to read that about Jessie. Poor Mama is getting all the bad luck. Here's hoping she will be 100% better when you get to visit her tomorrow. And maybe even ready to come home. 

Remember to take care of yourself while you're mothering those kittens. And do try to get a little rest, if you can. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I was going to suggest that perhaps your husband could take a shift if you show him what to do? You will need some sleep at some point in order to function.

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm currently about to do the quarter past 11 feed. It's 10:55pm here in the uk. My husband is going to do the the 1:15am feed and the 3:15am feed for me so I can try and get some rest as I feel exhausted and I know I need to have energy for the kids, kittens and Jessie when I get her home. I'm just glad she's been spayed so this can never happen to her again. I hate that she had to go through this and be away from her home and without her babies. Breaks my heart.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank goodness your husband is helping. I completely understand your feelings. They are normal.

Jessie will be okay soon, and she will be very happy to be home with her babies. If she's okay, maybe she can come home tomorrow, even if you still have to help with the babies for a couple of days.

It's not often this happens. It's just one of those things. It's really been an odyssey. But she will not have to ever do any of this again!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh, and they each need between 2.5-3 mLs at each feeding based on their weights. I just figured it.

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank goodness your husband is helping. I completely understand your feelings. They are normal.

Jessie will be okay soon, and she will be very happy to be home with her babies. If she's okay, maybe she can come home tomorrow, even if you still have to help with the babies for a couple of days.

It's not often this happens. It's just one of those things. It's really been an odyssey. But she will not have to ever do any of this again!
If I can see she's improved tomorrow then I will be asking to bring her home and she can recover with us with her. She must be so scared being somewhere she doesn't know and being without me and her babies. I couldn't imagine it.
The vet said Jessie is one of the rare cases and he's only ever had 3 other cats have the same problem in his full professional career. He was so apologetic and was genuinely devastated that it happened. But it's not his fault, he wasn't to know she would have a reaction and it's not his fault one of the kittens passed. She just wasn't strong enough to hold on. I still can't believe it's happened the way it has.

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, and they each need between 2.5-3 mLs at each feeding based on their weights. I just figured it.
Have I been feeding too much then ? They've been taking 2-3oz every 2 hours.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
i don't think you're using ounces. There's no way a newborn kitten could drink that much. I think you mean cc's or mL's.

2-3 mLs is the correct amount. They can have more if they will take it.

Last edited:

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i don't think you're using ounces. There's no way a newborn kitten could drink that much. I think you mean cc's or mL's.

2-3 mLs is the correct amount. They can have more if they will take it.
I'm such an idiot. Just checked the bottle and it is mls.
I'm just so used to using oz as measurements as I use them for the kids when they were babies. Didn't even realise that there was a lot less milk than what 2oz would be. My head is totally messed up.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You're fine! You are understandably exhausted, which can mix up anybody. Bottom line: you are feeding the correct amount!

I hope you're headed to bed soon! [emoji]128522[/emoji]