Adventures in moving

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise

Cancer. Oh, gosh. I am so sorry to hear this.

I cannot almost believe it, because she is only 11 years old. I do know cancer can hit at any age, but still...

Just stunned now, and I cannot even imagine the shock you are feeling.

Keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers, Ondine, Molly, and family.

diana cat nap
Yes, sadly, Angel was only 11 or 12, most likely 12. 
 ( @Angels mommy ...I don't know why I thought Angel was older.)

I guess the real reason that I think it unfair, is that Ondine, and her fur crew, all made the move successfully.

So I was just hoping for all good, and nothing bad, (minor cat fights, maybe), but somehow it doesn't seem to work that way.

Life throws so many curves.

@Ondine...I'm glad you brought Molly home. Thoughts of strength and peace to you and your husband.

The way you describe your cats, and the things that you have done for them, just shines the the love you have for them through.

Even Teresa the princess, knows that.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is such terrible news, and it seems worse, coming at a time when you are moving and hope to be well settled with everyone. I am so sorry.:vibes::vibes:

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you everyone.  Yes, it stinks.  The vet gave her a shot of depomedrol yesterday and she slept very well last night.  She had some chicken broth then and again this morning, so she does feel a bit better.  She even groomed a bit!

We've had her and her brother, Halsey, since they were about three weeks old.  Their mother was feral and had made a nest in an old house across the street from my old job at the county courthouse.  Renovators came through and put the nest outside, thinking mom would come get the kittens.  After four hours, I got a box and took the rest of the day off to hit PetSmart and get KMR and bottles.  My co-worker ended up taking two kittens and I got Molly and Halsey.

They were the beginning of my work with feral cats, TNR and rescuing.  With the help of a compassionate local attorney, Genora, we trapped mom and had her fixed - she was eventually taken to the attorney's farm.  Genora has TNRed most of the neighborhood around the courthouse.  She taught me a lot.

I intend to enjoy Molly for as long as she is here and give her lots of attention, if she wants it.  She was never a huggy type of cat - a head scratch here or there was fine with her.  She has been sleeping with me and I noticed she does ask for my hand to be touching her when she falls asleep.  Whatever she wants, she gets ...

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am going to post about Molly in Crossing The Bridge.  I don't want this post to be sad anymore.  Thanks for all the support.

All the other kitties are doing well.  No hisses, growls or punches.  I am going to put out their water fountain today and see what happens.  (They each have their own bowl of water right now).

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Changing the subject

How are you doing? Are you settling in and getting used to your new area?

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for asking, Karen.

I think I am getting the map of the area settled in my head.  Made a wrong turn yesterday but realized i knew where I was.

Men coming Saturday to help rearrange the furniture, so I can get all the boxes and totes filled with books out of the living room, so I can get the TV hooked up.  Its like dominoes!

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good day today. Every morning, I clean out everyone's crate and scoop poops. I let the cats out two at a time while I do this. Today, Schofield and Alfred were out and I decided to let Halsey join them.

The three if them sniffed noses, nodded and went on their way. No fireworks, no fussing. I could almost hear them saying "S'up?"

Last edited:

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Good day today. Every morning, I clean out everyone's crate and scoop poops. I let the cats out two at a time while I do this. Today, Schofield and Alfred were out and I decided to let Halsey join them.

The three if them sniffed noses, nodded and went on their way. No fireworks, no fussing. I could almost hear them saying "S'up?"
  Excellent update. That greeting of the cats had me smiling...slightly laughing. 
Nice that they went on their way, respectfully.

Was wondering about that 'water fountain' set up, though.

Do you think that the 'water fountain' area, for cats, is similar to 'water cooler areas in office buildings'...and therefore your cats will just gather around, and start to gossip about you, or the 'boss' ?

I figure our cats, probably do give each other signals at the water stations, ...so really nothing new, and I've never heard of a fight at a water bowl, so hope that yours behave, too.

Sounds like they are getting used to each other, well.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The fountain is being ignored.  Thought it strange at first but realized I'd put the Rescue Remedy in it.  They wouldn't drink their water when I added it, so I stopped.  Now they aren't using the fountain. I didn't think they could taste it.

Other than that, all's quiet.  I have people coming tomorrow to rearrange furniture, so we'll see how the cats are after all that hub-bub.

Last edited:

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:)   Excellent update. That greeting of the cats had me smiling...slightly laughing. :D Nice that they went on their way, respectfully.

Was wondering about that 'water fountain' set up, though.
Do you think that the 'water fountain' area, for cats, is similar to 'water cooler areas in office buildings'...and therefore your cats will just gather around, and start to gossip about you, or the 'boss' ?
I figure our cats, probably do give each other signals at the water stations, ...so really nothing new, and I've never heard of a fight at a water bowl, so hope that yours behave, too.
Sounds like they are getting used to each other, well. :clap2:  

:lol3: Thats funny di, you're crack'n me up as usual my friend! I can see them now, all gathered around the fountain, "who does she think she"s fool'n? We know she's spiking the water." [emoji]128526[/emoji].

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nice update.
any bites on your house yet?
The house hasn't been listed yet - my husband is still getting it ready.  Paint, rug cleaning, etc.  He found several of our new replacement windows had sprung leaks, so they have to be replaced as well.  Always something.

The realtor comes next week to take pictures, so hopefully, it isn't too long after that.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise

The fountain is being ignored.  Thought it strange at first but realized I'd but the Rescue Remedy in it.  They wouldn't drink their water when I added it, so I stopped.  Now they aren't using the fountain. I didn't think they could taste it.

Other than that, all's quiet.  I have people coming tomorrow to rearrange furniture, so we'll see how the cats are after all that hub-bub.
Thats funny di, you're crack'n me up as usual my friend! I can see them now, all gathered around the fountain, "who does she think she"s fool'n? We know she's spiking the water." [emoji]128526[/emoji].
I think I better read this thread, quietly in the background, for now, since I thought that @AbbysMom was actually asking if there were any "bites" as in "cat bites or scratches" on Ondine's new house.

Goodness, I had no idea she was asking about the other house. 

Glad that the cats are adjusting quietly.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You guys!

I do have a question.  After tomorrow, when the furniture is in its proper place and the living room is cleaned out, do you think its too early to let the cats explore?  I can close off all the bedrooms.

I ask because Josie is so depressed, I brought her into the bedroom with me last night.  She hid under the bed until I got in it, then she jumped up and went through her bedtime routine.  (Clawing me until I was in the right position for her to lay where she wanted, then circling the bed a few times before plopping down).  She was up once or twice to use the potty and have a bite to eat but otherwise was right by me in bed.

I am not going to take her in tonight because of all the coming hub-bub tomorrow.  But I wondered if letting them explore might be pushing it a bit.

Gracie, Teresa and Chester have not come out of their crates for a couple of days.  They just sit in the carriers while I clean around them.

There has been no fussing or fireworks at all - I think both groups think they have moved in on the other group, if that makes sense.  So it seems to result in everyone being super polite.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

You guys!

I do have a question.  After tomorrow, when the furniture is in its proper place and the living room is cleaned out, do you think its too early to let the cats explore?  I can close off all the bedrooms.

I ask because Josie is so depressed, I brought her into the bedroom with me last night.  She hid under the bed until I got in it, then she jumped up and went through her bedtime routine.  (Clawing me until I was in the right position for her to lay where she wanted, then circling the bed a few times before plopping down).  She was up once or twice to use the potty and have a bite to eat but otherwise was right by me in bed.

I am not going to take her in tonight because of all the coming hub-bub tomorrow.  But I wondered if letting them explore might be pushing it a bit.

Gracie, Teresa and Chester have not come out of their crates for a couple of days.  They just sit in the carriers while I clean around them.

There has been no fussing or fireworks at all - I think both groups think they have moved in on the other group, if that makes sense.  So it seems to result in everyone being super polite.
I would let at least a group of them out and see how it goes.  Maybe not all of them at once.  Also being sure to keep a close eye.  I like to use yummy food rewards for new situations.  Something they would love like canned tuna or salmon or plain cooked chicken.  You want them to associate the new surroundings with something yummy and good.  I also would keep the first explorations brief.  I try in new situations to make sure the interactions end on a positive note.  This sets the stage for the future.  You can do this multiple times during the day, but in very short burst.  I like to start with just 5 minutes.  Then the first group back to cages and bring out the second group.  Repeat the same thing again an hour or so later.  You can then gradually increase the time if all goes well.

I hope it will all go smoothly.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise

You guys!

I would let at least a group of them out and see how it goes.  Maybe not all of them at once.  Also being sure to keep a close eye.  I like to use yummy food rewards for new situations.  Something they would love like canned tuna or salmon or plain cooked chicken.  You want them to associate the new surroundings with something yummy and good.  I also would keep the first explorations brief.  I try in new situations to make sure the interactions end on a positive note.  This sets the stage for the future.  You can do this multiple times during the day, but in very short burst.  I like to start with just 5 minutes.  Then the first group back to cages and bring out the second group.  Repeat the same thing again an hour or so later.  You can then gradually increase the time if all goes well.

I hope it will all go smoothly.
Tomorrow will be two weeks since they have been there, and they do already all know each other, so I would agree with @ShadowsRescue.

It actually might help the cats to sniff the familiar furniture that they remember from before, and have already scent marked, as their own, too.

Sort of like making them feel more comfortable, with having their familiar stuff around them.

I'm not sure of the groups, though, since I figure the girls, Gracie and Josie would not be a problem with Chester, but not sure if Teresa should explore on her own.

And Halsey, even though there were no fireworks with Alfred and Schofield...I'd still be wary of having the outdoor guys mixing with the indoors, unless the outdoor guys are very gentle guys.

I think swapping groups, back and forth, is a good idea, but I'm not sure who the two groups are, right now.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are actually three groups - Halsey, Josie, Chester and Gracie (and the late Molly) lived in the majority of our old house.  Teresa had her own room, where Chester (her brother) would visit from time to time.

Alfred and Schofield lived in an enclosure outside.  They could see the inside cats and vice versa but never formally met.

I have been releasing them, mostly two at a time since we set the room up.  At least once a day - sometimes twice.  They have all learned that after I finish cleaning their crate, I put their small bowl of dry food in.  They run back into their crates then and I move onto the next two.  I've released Halsey, Alfred and Schofield together and so far, no fussing.

Chester and Teresa have so far not come out much.  I tried moving their carriers out of the crate but mostly, they stay hunkered down inside them or run and hide behind a crate.  I am a little worried about them but they aren't as social as the others, so they are taking their time adjusting.