Adventures in moving

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, so cool about Josie and Gracie. :9: They also probably just loved sleeping with you guys, and/or just hanging out in the bedroom. :smile2:  
(Now, you have me thinking what our cats would actually do with a bag of gold. 2 of my four would probably just spend it, boys, and the 3rd boy and girl would invest or save it.)

Maybe, what you can do...before your husband has to go back, is make sure to keep some of his clothes, and not wash them. :cringe:  
(I know your husband might think..."no way, I like that shirt, pants, I need my clothes"..."there is no way I'm giving my clothes to our cats"....But it would only be temporary, and would only be used if Chester starts to retreat into his crate again, or begins that glaring look. If Chester seems fine, then the clothes can be washed.)  Maybe an old t-shirt would do.

In all honesty, I really don't think our cats have favourites, they just love seeing everyone in their pack/family,
:rub: :cat:   and they change who they spend time with, from day to day, or hour to hour.
I figure they have to make the rounds, as in check on everyone, and all their territory, too. 
I'm sorry to tell you this but they certainly do have favourites. I'm not one of them. Cry.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
My blighty never blinks at me at all. Whyyyyy? Cry.
Chester seldom blinks at me, either.  He will blink when my husband asks him but soon wanders off.  Probably thinking "What's up with that guy?"
In all honesty, I really don't think our cats have favourites, they just love seeing everyone in their pack/family,
  and they change who they spend time with, from day to day, or hour to hour.
I figure they have to make the rounds, as in check on everyone, and all their territory, too. 
I'm sorry to tell you this but they certainly do have favourites. I'm not one of them. Cry.
Well, maybe your definition of favourite is different. It does not mean that they have to be with you 24/7.  And I have seen many photos of your cats on this site, 
and they are most definitely laying on top of you, or near you, so perhaps your definition of 'favourite' is just different. They totally love you, but may just like spending time with whoever is moving about, carrying groceries, or who they don't see as often. Can also be that they like certain spaces in the home better than others... Different beds, sofas etc., hiding spots.

Plus they may like their quiet and solitude, as well. My cats like to sleep away from me, many times, to get a good sleep.

If they ignore you, it does not mean that you are not loved by them, it just means they feel like something different that day. Some like action, some like quiet. (I like to joke about favourites...it's just silly fun.)

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise

The gang of three were allowed into the house today.  Schofield came right in, followed closely by Halsey.  Alfred stayed at the top of the steps and checked it out from there.  Halsey and Schofield toured the areas open to them (the living room, dining room, kitchen, hallway and main bath).  Each used the potty in the bathroom, then came to the sliding glass doors and watched the birds for a bit.

Alfred watched them but did not come out of the sun room, so I was unable to let Teresa and Chester out.  They didn't seem to care, though.  I'll try again in a day or so.

Tonight, when I went to give them the bedtime snack, both Halsey and Schofield bolted to the stairs, although the door was closed.  They are ready, I think.

Josie and Gracie were both on the bed this afternoon at dinner (as opposed to running under it to avoid being taken back to the sun room).  They've learned fast.

Gracie was actually waiting for her dinner, which is a good sign.
So true, a great update.

(I'm a little on 'pins and needles' since I cannot wait until Teresa ventures around, and how she will be acting)...but like you said before...

"Slow steps...slow steps".  (Deep breaths, and patience is a virtue...or some such saying...that's for me, not you...you seem to have a lot of patience.) 

Or maybe just doing things in logical steps, too.

Hoping for no fireworks, or minimal fussing.

And quite impressed on how the 'gang of three' boys are doing. Halsey really seems to be taking things well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The gang spent most of today in the house proper (living room, dining area, kitchen and main bath).  Schofield, who is a chatter, walked around the space, calling back to me.  I think he was saying "is this OK?  How about this?"  He even nudged me and asked for pets, which he had not allowed for a few years.  I think he's really a house cat but our circumstances had us having to keep him outside before.  He really seems happy to be inside.

Alfred, on the other hand, has tried to open the sliding glass doors!  He wants out.  At some point, I will have an area screened in so he can come and go but that's a future plan.

They are now both on the ironing board, lounging while watching the bird feeder.  Life is good.

Teresa and Chester are in the sun room, I think still in their crates.  If they come out, they come out.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Alfred and Schofield are shedding.  The sun room is aswirl with hair.  This is a clump of Alfred's hair after about four swipes with the brush.  He has discovered he likes being brushed.

Schofield has turned into a lovebug.  He approaches for pets and will put his paw on my arm for more.  He was such a grumpasaurus outside - I think he's just a house cat at heart.

Gracie and Josie refuse to come out of the bedroom.  They have it good and know it, I guess.  Chester and Teresa are still not coming out of their crates.  I guess they feel safe in there.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Alfred and Schofield are shedding.  The sun room is aswirl with hair.  This is a clump of Alfred's hair after about four swipes with the brush.  He has discovered he likes being brushed.

Schofield has turned into a lovebug.  He approaches for pets and will put his paw on my arm for more.  He was such a grumpasaurus outside - I think he's just a house cat at heart.

Gracie and Josie refuse to come out of the bedroom.  They have it good and know it, I guess.  Chester and Teresa are still not coming out of their crates.  I guess they feel safe in there.
I could make a cat hair sweater with all the hair I've brushed off of ours lately, it's crazy.  

Sounds like everybody is slowly making the transition.  

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I discovered Teresa and Chester have been coming out - but they just go into each other's crates.  At least they're out.

Josie and Gracie are not coming out of the bedroom - it is at the end of a long hallway and they can't see past that, so they're not moving.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks!  That's Chester and he is.  But he's also very timid.

Gracie and Josie came out of the bedroom - just to the end of the hallway but it is progress.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
@Ondine...Would you be terribly offended if I suddenly jumped to "Team Chester and Teresa"?. 

I was rooting for "Team Halsey and the boys," and I will probably be switching teams, all the time, but I tend to go with whoever I think has to make the biggest moves, or seems like the 'underdogs'...'undercats' in this case.

Schofield sounds like a sweetheart, with all that calling back to you, touching your arm for more pats, and not being a 'grumpasaurus'.
  Oh, gosh, that is hilarious.

Alfred, the wannabee escape artist, will have to be closely watched, or harnessed, to prevent future break-outs.

And you mentioned that Halsey and Schofield first "toured" the rooms...making it sound like they were on an episode of "houses of the rich and famous"...which is great to hear.

The tour seemed to go well.

As for Gracie and Josie...hmm...those two girls sound like they want you to install an intercom in the bedroom, so they can 'buzz' you in the kitchen and order up cat-room service.

I hope you don't give in to the girls, and pamper them, or else you'll wind up having to do this with all your cats, and have intercoms in all the rooms.

Don't let the other cats catch on to this method by the girls.

I'm not so sure what is going on with "team Chester and Teresa"?

Coming out of their own crates, just to switch to each other's crates.
  What is that about? 

Is one of the crates better than the other, does it have a better view, better bedding.

Are they trying to confuse you? ...so they can have some fun.

Not sure, but I know I like their shenanigans.

Hope all the cats are getting more relaxed and keeping you entertained.

Last edited:

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Switch away. They need the support. They've each come out now, although Chester does a run or two around the room and goes right back in. He's always been the most shy of the cats, so I am not too worried.

Josie comes out right away now. She takes up a chair and watches the birds. A squirrel jumped on the windowsill and they had a nice conversation. She kept looking at me. I wondered if she wanted me to invite him in for a playdate.

I let Halsey into the bedroom and he and Gracie had words, so he'll have to behave before we try that again. Honestly, if the house evolves into three zones, I won't mind.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Chester, in your avatar, looks to be such a big cat, but I guess size has nothing to do with being shy. He probably does not want any of the other cats to mess up his fur.

Yes, those girls probably wanted to exclude the boys from the bedroom. And maybe the bedroom is already claimed. Gracie looks to be the boss, there.

Three zones sounds good, as long as you don't let that 'squirrel in for a playdate' with Josie. Then there would have to be 4 zones, and that may be too much right now.

The zones will mix, eventually, since I have 4 siblings and they seem to be 'exchanging heated words' from time to time, so I can imagine that the 'teams' will be doing the same, mixing, and keeping you busy.

Sounds good, all around.

I'm just glad that the outside boys didn't gang together and pick on Halsey.

Last edited:

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was surprised at that, too, but they were never true buddies. Schofield barely tolerated Alfred, who is so sweet and a little dense, so it never bothered him. Alfred has made friends with both Chester and Teresa through the bars of their crates, anyway.

Chester only weighs about ten pounds (Halsey weighs 18). The rest range from six pounds (Josie) to 11 (Teresa).

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Sorry for the blurry picture but this is what Josie and Alfred watch when they sit in the dining room.  I made a big crate, using PVC pipe.  Then I zip tied wire grids to it (the frame is 6' tall x 2' square).  It allows the small birds to eat without hassling from the big birds.  Bonus is that it drives the squirrels crazy.

I have had up to six goldfinches on the feeders at once.  I also have house finches, chickadees, wrens, sparrows and a Downy Woodpecker!

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry for the blurry picture but this is what Josie and Alfred watch when they sit in the dining room.  I made a big crate, using PVC pipe.  Then I zip tied wire grids to it (the frame is 6' tall x 2' square).  It allows the small birds to eat without hassling from the big birds.  Bonus is that it drives the squirrels crazy.

I have had up to six goldfinches on the feeders at once.  I also have house finches, chickadees, wrens, sparrows and a Downy Woodpecker!
(My guess was that Chester was 13 lbs...but my guess at weights are always off. I guess his photo just makes him look fluffier. So Chester is a lean 10 pounds. 
)

That is a very neat design for protecting the small birds from big birds and squirrels.

But because I am not bird savvy...how do the little birds get in there? Unless the little birds are the small size of hummingbirds?

Or can they easily fit through the wire mesh? Will have to look online for sizes.

It's so nice that you get to watch the birds out your dining room window. Well good for the cats, too, of course.

(I used to think that any very yellow, or small bird had escaped from someone's house...but now seeing your goldfinch, makes me realize that I may have seen some of these coloured birds, or other types, too.

I think I need binoculars to identify them, though. I'm better at seeing cardinals, wrens, robins, red winged blackbirds, and the occasional blue jay. Much bigger birds.)

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The grids I used have 1" square openings, so the smaller birds have no problem getting in and out.

The American Goldfinch has a range in Canada from Newfoundland to British Columbia, so you may very well have seen one.  Their feathers fade in winter to a golden olive color.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So I put up a screen door in the hallway - Josie and Gracie come from the bedroom and the gang of three come from the living room and meet.  No fireworks - the boys actually seemed bored.  Gracie retreated to the bedroom but Josie hung out for a bit.

The only issue is that I now have to have a litter box in the living room (hopefully, temporarily - its a small room).  But it that helps get everyone to live together, that's fine.

Chester came out this morning and sat on the steps, looking into the living room through the glass door.  I was stunned.  He was only there for a few minutes and dashed away when he saw me looking but that is progress as far as I'm concerned.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, I spoke too soon.  This evening, when I set the screen door up and let everyone out, Josie pitched a fit and hissed and screamed at anyone who dared to look at her.  I actually though she was going to knock the door down. 

Well, two steps back for every one step forward.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Chester looking through that glass door is definitely progress.

Well, I spoke too soon.  This evening, when I set the screen door up and let everyone out, Josie pitched a fit and hissed and screamed at anyone who dared to look at her.  I actually though she was going to knock the door down. 

Well, two steps back for every one step forward.
But why was Josie so upset? Was it the screen door placement. Does she find screen doors confining.  Was that hallway 'off-limits' to other cats.

Wow. Josie's reaction was a little dramatic, but I guess she got her point across...loud and clear.

As long as no cats get into full-on tussles, then having a screen door 'attacked' seems okay. Better the door, than the cats.

I hope she calmed down, enough to eat afterwards.

As long as steps are being made, be it in any direction, then things are moving along. Sure, we all want forward, but these things are bound to happen, from time to time.

I just realized that it has been a month, yesterday?  That means that all the progress that your cats made in this move is phenomenal.

4 weeks is not really that long of a time. Kind of incredible, if you ask me.

I think it was your 'initial set-up' that did it, and then having furniture in place, letting them out to explore, having your hubby come down. Probably all the day-to-day things that also contribute to helping your cats feel positive in their new place.

Little aggravations are bound to happen. (If they didn't then I'd find it odd. Let's just blame that outdoor squirrel.
)

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was thinking something similar this morning - they really have come a long way in just a month.  I was gone most of the morning on errands and left the set-up with the door.  I am not even sure if the girls came out.

Josie is the smallest cat and I think she must have felt a bit threatened, especially when three big boys are staring at her.  Chester and Teresa each used the larger potties I set up on the sun room, so they are out and about, too.

There was some sort of tiff on the ironing board - l found lots of hair.  It is where the best view of the bird feeder is.  I think Alfred and Schofield had a discussion about who was going to get the best seat.

The screen door set up adds the same amount of space for the girls as it took away from the boys, so I don't think that was it.  After the boys are in bed, I leave the bedroom door open at night, so Josie and Gracie explore the living room at night.  I think Josie may have expected to be able to do that and was startled to see other cats out there.