Adventures in moving

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, that sounds good.

Yes, you have to take your time with all those boxes, and not do too much all at once.

(The reason I like your thread so much, is because it has given me ideas.)

Not just for plans if ever I have to move in the future, with cats/animals.

But also because of the things you've already done...
  1. with getting vet to come out,
  2. transport company for pets,
  3. having a dedicated room set up with crates.
All these things are also helpful if someone has to move due to an emergency situation, flood, storm, anything unexpected.

(It helps to have ideas of what to do, and some animal crates packed away, for these type of situations.)

So thanks for posting your updates.

Total health vibes for Molly, for her vet visit on Friday.

And vibes for all the rest of the fur gang, too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The roof is on and a good thing, too.  Literally minutes after the men left, the skies opened up.  Wind, rain, thunder and lightning.  It is like the universe wanted to test it.

The cats are antsy - Halsey is clawing and crying to get out.  I feel badly but I just want them to calm down for the evening.  Its only 7:30 here but I am going to bed!

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, thunder and lightning is difficult for cats...even if not in a new place.

I would cover them all up again, and hope that they could sleep, too.

When you are exhausted, you have to sleep, too. So hoping you get some quality sleep, without too many thunder sounds to wake you.

(so thankful, that the roofers had finished, before the rain.)

Mother Nature gets angry, fast, it seems...or maybe the universe was making sure those guys did a good job.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Everyone came through OK.  I let Halsey and Molly out this morning - well, the both busted out of jail when I went to feed them.  Surprisingly, Halsey made for Schofield's crate and they greeted one another quiet politely.  No fussing, no growls, just touching noses.

The roof held tight - as far as I can tell.  The roofer is coming by this morning for a final inspection and his payment.  All in all, I'm quite satisfied.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
"...they both busted out of jail'...when you went to feed them.  

That scene is kind of hilarious. I picture 2 cats,...Molly and Halsey...discussing the "jail break" ...the night before. 

They planned to distract you, and then 'make a run for it.'.  I'm surprised the rest of the gang, didn't want in on the action.

I wonder which cat will 'bust out' tomorrow. 

Very nice that Halsey greeted Schofield with no hissing, or growls.

@Ondine...What ages are your cats?  (Junior 6mt-2yr, Prime3-6, Mature7-10, Senior11-14, Geriatric15+).

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Halsey and Molly are 11; Chester, Teresa and Gracie are 10; Josie is 9 and Schofield and Alfred are 4.

They are all wanting out now and most days, I let them out for 15 minutes at a time.   Haven't let any of them out yet without a familiar cat.  (Schofield and Alfred out together, for example).

There's nowhere for them to run, although I am amazed that they find hiding places!

Got Molly to the vet's.  They took blood work - she most likely has thyroid disease.  Not sure why I didn't recognize it - I had my thyroid removed and know the symptoms.  I guess I figured the move was upsetting her.

But she's lost almost 4 pounds, so we are waiting on the test panel to determine our course of action.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise

Halsey and Molly are 11; Chester, Teresa and Gracie are 10; Josie is 9 and Schofield and Alfred are 4.

They are all wanting out now and most days, I let them out for 15 minutes at a time.   Haven't let any of them out yet without a familiar cat.  (Schofield and Alfred out together, for example).

There's nowhere for them to run, although I am amazed that they find hiding places!

Got Molly to the vet's.  They took blood work - she most likely has thyroid disease.  Not sure why I didn't recognize it - I had my thyroid removed and know the symptoms.  I guess I figured the move was upsetting her.

But she's lost almost 4 pounds, so we are waiting on the test panel to determine our course of action.
Hoping that if it is thyroid issues, that it is easily treatable.

I suppose she would be 'hyperthyroid' and not 'hypo', though. (I'm hypothyroid, and need a daily pill) So perhaps in cats it's similar, or even easier to treat with injections, or meds.)

Only thing to do, IS wait for the test results, and take it from there.

Vibes for Molly to get back to good health.

'Hiding places'...
  Yup, hiding places from jail.

It's for every cats protection to be in their crates, but they probably don't see it that way.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've had thyroid issues for 30 years (it runs in the family) and take daily medication.  I only hope they can give me a liquid, as she is awful to pill.  She really hasn't eaten anything for awhile - the vet gave her an appetite stimulant but it hasn't helped.  She just looks so sad.

She wants to eat and drink but her throat must hurt, as she seems almost afraid to.  I tried dribbling some water into her mouth but she gags and hacks.  I am thinking she must have an enlarged thyroid or something else in her throat.  When I see the vet next, depending on the blood work, I may ask for an x-ray.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I hope Molly eats something.

Was going to suggest 'syringe feeding' some Wellness canned wet pate food, which has the same consistency of Critical Care A/D cat food.

Perhaps just watering them down, and dribbling on her tongue, in cheek, might work.

Making it really 'soupy' or finding a really strong smelling wet food, tuna, anything she would try to just lap up.

At this point, I would try anything. even the chicken baby food.

I went online to see if 'slippery elm bark' would be okay to use, but it did NOT mention anything about cats and thyroid symptoms.

(I wanted to try SEB syrup for my rainbow cat Spotty when he had mouth ulcers(CKD), but I did not get a chance to.)

If it does turn out to be thyroid, then yes, there are 'transdermal meds' that can be given, made by a compounding pharmacy, so hopefully you won't have to pill.

They even have a Hills Y/D cat food for thyroid cats, so that may help, if Molly does indeed need it. though the vet will tell you, after the blood results are in.

http://www.hillspet.com/en/us/products/pd-feline-yd-canned

http://www.felinecrf.org/hyperthyroidism.htm

If she does not eat, I would phone the vet, and ask if any other meds, or even nausea meds like Pepcid AC would help.

I really hope you get the blood panels quickly, and then will be advised about what steps to take.

Take it one day at a time.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The vet called this morning (a Sunday!) and said Molly's blood work is normal.  So as I thought, we're going to schedule an x-ray and/or MRI.

She did eat a little - I moistened her dry food (she will not touch wet food) some and she ate a little.  I also dribbled some water into her mouth but she gagged and hacked.  Maybe I was dribbling too fast.

In any case, she is in the bedroom with me - just couldn't see having her in the crate when she feels so badly.  I put her on the bed and she settled right down.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise

The vet called this morning (a Sunday!) and said Molly's blood work is normal.  So as I thought, we're going to schedule an x-ray and/or MRI.

She did eat a little - I moistened her dry food (she will not touch wet food) some and she ate a little.  I also dribbled some water into her mouth but she gagged and hacked.  Maybe I was dribbling too fast.

In any case, she is in the bedroom with me - just couldn't see having her in the crate when she feels so badly.  I put her on the bed and she settled right down.
Oh, that is good news !

And good that she ate a little, too. Yes, maybe dribbling too fast, or water was too cold or too warm.

(I did remember one thing from reading @Angels mommy's thread about her rainbow Angel.In it both Kelly and @GoHolistic had noticed that their cats had gotten very weird symptoms from taking an appetite stimulant called mirtazapine. So they reduced it to 1/8th a tablet versus 1/4th. Kelly's rainbow cat Angel was being treated for lymphoma, though, so he was taking steroids/prednisolone, which also increased his appetite. It's a total different situation, but I just thought I would mention that it was interesting that both cats had weird symptoms on the mirtazapine.

It's post # 245 and post #248...in case you wanted to read it. http://www.thecatsite.com/t/310776/angel-isnt-doing-well/240)

Just thought I'd throw this info out there,  in case Molly is on the same stimulant, or gets weird side effects.

Great that she settled down with you on the bed. So hoping that Molly just got stressed with the move, and will get back to her usual self.

And it was Chester that I worried about.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

awww...poor Molly! i hope she starts feeling better soon.

i'm not sure if this is a possibility with your Molly, but if your vet doesn't find something else that's the problem, it might be worth mentioning the possibility of acid reflux. our jaspurr was just recently (several months ago) diagnosed with acid reflux, not easy to diagnose this in a cat. does your Molly still have her voice? i mean, does her voice sound like she's got a sore throat, or has she lost her voice? our jaspurr started with gagging/hacking, then had clear stomach acid that would come up into his mouth, then lost his voice. the vet and i are managing jaspurr's acid reflux with pepcid ac (i dissolve the 1/4 tablet in water, then mix it into his wet food), as well as smaller meals more often -- i serve jaspurr 5 meals each 24 hours, 4 spaced pretty evenly throughout the day and 1 about halfway through the overnight.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the heads-up.   I will mention that to the vet - I plan on making an appointment ASAP.  Molly's voice is pretty much the same but her purr has changed - it has a higher pitch than it used to and it sounds almost like vibrato, if you know what I mean.

The vet did say her heart rate was a little elevated but I'm not surprised with all the moving and changes and new things she's faced.  She's a game old gal, I'll tell ya.

She has never eaten wet food but drinks plenty of water.  I use Authority Brand foods and sometimes the Tractor Supply, although I don't like that it has Rosemary extract in it, so I use it sparingly.  They were on Blue Buffalo but all of them started tossing it almost as soon as they ate.  Something did not agree with them.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Got the results back and they are not good.  Poor Molly has cancer - an apparently aggressive type.  Her whole insides are full.

I brought her home, mostly because I did not want to make a decision without talking it over with my husband.  He is still in New Jersey.  I so hated having to talk about this over the phone.

Molly is his favorite and I knew he'd be upset.  He never hesitated, though - if she is suffering, we will do what is right by her.  I'm so sad right now, this is all I can write.

Will post more later...

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Got the results back and they are not good.  Poor Molly has cancer - an apparently aggressive type.  Her whole insides are full.

I brought her home, mostly because I did not want to make a decision without talking it over with my husband.  He is still in New Jersey.  I so hated having to talk about this over the phone.

Molly is his favorite and I knew he'd be upset.  He never hesitated, though - if she is suffering, we will do what is right by her.  I'm so sad right now, this is all I can write.

Will post more later...
Oh no, I am so,so sorry!! I know how tough this can be. I went through this with Angel. After finding lymphoma in his tummy. Chemo & a good fight for 2 months & he lost.  I am feeling sad today, I had to fill in an old friend, back to the site a few minutes ago & broke  down crying 3xs in typing one long paragraph! I feel you sadness. I will say a prayer for you guys. I know it's not easy.  

I'm sending lots of big fat hugs!!!!!!!!  

Kelly

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise

Will post more later...
Cancer. Oh, gosh. I am so sorry to hear this.

I cannot almost believe it, because she is only 11 years old. I do know cancer can hit at any age, but still...

Just stunned now, and I cannot even imagine the shock you are feeling.

Keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers, Ondine, Molly, and family.

diana cat nap

Last edited:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so very sorry.  Not at all what you expected.  You and Molly are in my thoughts.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Cancer. Oh, gosh. I am so sorry to hear this.

I cannot almost believe it, because she is only 11 years old. I do know cancer can hit at any age, but still...

Just stunned now, and I cannot even imagine the shock you are feeling.

Keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers, Ondine, Molly, and family.

diana cat nap
Yes, sadly, Angel was only 11 or 12, most likely 12.