A New "Raw"some Beginning... (yup - another one LOL)

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just commenting that when I said what's the issue with bones, I meant it just seems that everyone is having trouble with bones, not that I don't understand that they need them. 

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just commenting that when I said what's the issue with bones, I meant it just seems that everyone is having trouble with bones, not that I don't understand that they need them. 
Sally, I think it can take a bit of time for their bodies to adjust in digesting them.... this is what it seems to me.... Bugsy and Hope are doing just fine..... I will keep Bugsy's diet mostly bone free because of his IBD - it has been observed that a 100% bone in meal can be hard to digest for these kitties, and there is a risk of leading to pancreatitis. So..... :nono: keeping safe for him. Lucky.... for some very odd reason can't digest them now.... That is not to say that she will be in the future.......

I will not say that eventually I will not feed them bones.... Even Bugsy might be chewing bones if his mouth starts gets better (don't know how crunching a big bone might feel in a raw mouth from stomatitis....)..... And I do not pick the bones from the Hare Today food... I just work in rotation, and I am sure their little bodies will get better and better in digesting them :nod:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lauren - you are making progress.... seems that from 4 PIA's you are going down to 3.... or maybe 2.... now that Pips is eating NV from your hand :crackup:
Weird that Perkins had diarrhea..... is it diarrhea diarrhea, or just soft poop?
He shouldn't have it..... Especially since he has been eating chicken before.... hasn't he? Or he never ate a full meal of raw chicken?
Hope he gets better soon...... and I LOVE IT that he loves the chicken!!! :hyper: :clap::clap::clap::clap:
I AM making HUGE progress and wait until you all hear about my morning :banana1: :banana2:

Thanks, Carolina :hugs:... Perkins poop was just soft and stinky. BUT he has really been eating a lot of canned food and even some kibbles over the last week. Now that we are getting back on more raw I know the poops will firm up again. He has been fine since that one stinky blob. :lol3:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yep - we all are or were having some issues with the sharp, larger sized bones in some of the commercially made diets. I am just picking out the bones and cartilage now.

LAURIE :eek: :nervous: GUESS WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Perkins did the same thing as Ming Loy this morning YIKES. I was feeding them the raw NV Chicken medallion and all of the sudden he was backing up and pawing at his mouth and gagging. It was pretty scary to see. I thought I got out all of the bone fragments but apparently not. He was fine a minute later and somehow dislodged it on his own. :sweat:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
WOO HOO - SNEAKY WORKS!!!!!!!!

YEP!!!!!! I am ONE HAPPY MOMMA this morning :banana1: :dance: :banana2: :rockout: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This morning I tried a new technique and it worked beautifully. I fed the four P's downstairs a wet meal CORE. BUT only about 25% of a meal :eek:. They were furious with me and still very hungry. SO I said "OK - come on upstairs and you will get the special raw treat" (HEE HEE - SNEAKY :winkblue:) They all came running after me. Pipsqueak, Presley and Perkins all had 1.5 ounces of NV Organic Chicken each!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nothing on it - just meat - no topper's. I set out paper plates and they all devoured the meat. I did de-bone it but not good enough because Perkins had the same problem that Ming Loy for about a minute and then was fine. It was scary to see though :nervous: Perla didn't want any - so I gave her the rehydrated WL. I want her to get used to this routine too and hopefully she will eventually join in on this morning ritual. :cross: I am very happy about this because I really don't want to have to do the mid-day raw treat, would rather make it "part" of their breakfast and I found a way :woohoo:. NOW I can just get the raw into them this way in the mornings. Doesn't take that much more time either. Walden and Wendall are still in their room so they can't bother the four P's and push them away from the raw food.

Perkins also had some fresh chicken again this morning. Presley is not sure yet and neither is Pipsqueak - about the fresh organic chicken. One thing I have learned about this whole process, is that if you just keep offering and keep offering and keep offering :bigmouth: eventually they will take that lick and then that will lead to a bite and then you are on your way. BUT setbacks are still possible and I get that now.

Five weeks ago when I started this I never thought Pipsqueak would ever eat raw meat - on it's own - just the meat. I was wrong, and I hate to be wrong :flail:, but on this one I am glad I was wrong. Just don't give up - whoever is reading this - DON'T GIVE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is just the next step in this "new starting over" raw process. I am hoping I can add the raw into their bowls at mealtime downstairs again. But I will certainly not go there anytime soon. This is working SO well. This was THE best and one of the biggest meals they have had in awhile. They each had about 2 ounces of food just for breakfast :clap::clap::clap: :D

p.s. OH - can't forget about mentioning my awesome raw eating boys - the two W's. :heart3: They each had 1 ounce of NM Lamb and a few pieces of cut up fresh organic chicken :clap2: :rub:

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: Lauren - that's BRILLIANT! Yes - SNEAKY MOMMA! :flail:

BTW - for Perla, what you can consider doing (and it will be cheaper) is boiling her some of the fresh chicken. See if she'll eat that instead of rehydrated WL chicken (which is cooked anyway). IF she eats it, then you can SLOWLY cook it less and less! SNEAK her chicken into being... raw!

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
BTW - for Perla, what you can consider doing (and it will be cheaper) is boiling her some of the fresh chicken. See if she'll eat that instead of rehydrated WL chicken (which is cooked anyway). IF she eats it, then you can SLOWLY cook it less and less! SNEAK her chicken into being... raw!
oooooh... great  idea!

And, Lauren, wonderful news on being a "sneaky mom" and getting them to eat so much raw this morning. 

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: Lauren - that's BRILLIANT! Yes - SNEAKY MOMMA! :flail:
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: Oooooooooooo - You are my "sneaky" assistant in this process!!!! :hugs: GREAT IDEA!!!!!!!!! Will try that. Yep - I want her coming around asking for the "treats" too. The problem is the five very pushy boys. Whenever she is about to take a lick or a bite, someone tries to push their way in and I have to push them away - which sometimes startles Perla and then she runs off :dash: SO annoying. AND if I bring her into the bathroom, then she thinks it IS a trick - even though it IS :flail:. But she just knows. If she just casually comes into the kitchen asking on her own - then I have a better chance with her. I just can't run around shooing the other five away while the :princess: is trying to taste something new. Just an ongoing dilemma :scratch:.... Will try the boiled chicken :D :D :D :clap:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:banana1: :dance: :banana2: Another GREAT morning over here in my Rawsome Camp!!!!!!!!!!! The new breakfast arrangement is working almost too good to be true :lol3: (better add-in some of these
) Same thing - 25% wet food downstairs in their spots. Then upstairs we go to the raw treat spots (although it IS a meal - but they don't know it :rofl:) Pipsqueak, Presley and Perkins ALL had 1.5 ounces of NV organic chicken :shocked:. Presley and Perkins also had fresh cut chicken. Pipsqueak is still unsure about that one :lol2: Perla had the lightly boiled chicken (thanks, Laurie :winkblue:). I am a very happy momma with this new "sneaky" plan. I did try to offer a teeny bit of Nature's Menu Turkey - they only wanted the Nature's Variety. I have not yet tried the Nature's Menu Chicken - maybe, maybe, maybe :cross: :cross: they will like the NM Chicken. :nod:

Walden and Wendall had NM Turkey and fresh cut up chicken this morning. My perfectly well-behaved raw eating boys :heart3: :rub:

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yay!
  Laurie's plan of cooking the chicken for Perla may just pan out (no pun intended...get it?  Pan out?
)

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yay! :)   Laurie's plan of cooking the chicken for Perla may just pan out (no pun intended...get it?  Pan out? :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: )
OH I like you Sally - thanks for the laugh!!!!!!! :flail: The cat's are all liking small pieces of fresh raw organic chicken now. :bigthumb:

So for dinner - nothing too exciting but everything went well. I only offer the raw for the breakfast meal and the bedtime meal. So dinner is always very easy and no sweating involved :sweat: :lol3: The four P's had Weruva Chicken and Duck. Of course, the two W's. had their raw meal as usual. They enjoyed NM Lamb and a few pieces of fresh cut up chicken. Of course, they licked their plates clean. My good boys :rub: :rub: :heart3: :heart3: AWWWW heck - they are ALL so good - I love my little darlin's :D :clap::clap:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Another good round of "hand-fed" raw meats this morning. AND Pipsqueak :thud: ate some Nature's Menu Turkey. BUT.... then when I went to offer Presley the Nature's Variety Chicken - that little brat - he smelled the Nature's Menu Turkey on my hand and ran off :mad: ARGH.... I couldn't believe it. :lol3: OH WELL... he did come back and ended eating another whole medallion of the NVorg. Chicken! Perla did not want breakfast this morning :nervous:..... I had to go to the dentist for that crown :paranoid: :sick: (it went pretty well, though - :bigthumb: - half my face is numb :lol2:) and when I got home the :princess: Perla was waiting at the door :shocker: SHE never waits for me like that. So she was hungry - she had 1 oz. of Nature's Menu Lamb :woohoo: mixed with Weruva Chicken :dance: She is kind of a pain right now. She is off schedule with meals and is demanding "private" feeding times. :rofl: Truly - that one IS a spoiled little adorable :princess: - I LOVE HER SO :heart3: :rub:

Walden/Wendall - Nature's Menu Turkey and fresh cut up chicken. SUCH GOOD BOYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rub:

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yep, there always has to be that ONE. :lol3:

But :woohoo: on the Pipster! :clap: :bigthumb: Ming Loy hopes Presley will come around sooner rather than later and realize that he's a carnivore! She'll even share some of her turkey. :)

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yep, there always has to be that ONE. :lol3:
But :woohoo: on the Pipster! :clap: :bigthumb: Ming Loy hopes Presley will come around sooner rather than later and realize that he's a carnivore! She'll even share some of her turkey. :)
AW Presley sends his love :kiss: :rub: :kisskiss: :rub: Momma will keep tryin' with the "Donut" :lol2: Tried to offer him some fresh cut up chicken - NOPE :rolleyes: He doesn't even like Whole Life :jaw: but he loves Fortiflora :slant:

Last edited:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow Lauren, your crew is really making progress now :clap::clap::clap::clap:
Yep, yep, there is always "the one" and "the :princess: it seems..... here in my house it turns out to be the same kitty, coincidentally :lol3: :rolleyes:
Hopefully one day this will be all behind us..... our introductions will be some weird exotic meats - "hey Lauren, have you tried crocodile meat yet? :lol3:"

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow Lauren, your crew is really making progress now :clap::clap::clap::clap:
Yep, yep, there is always "the one" and "the :princess: it seems..... here in my house it turns out to be the same kitty, coincidentally :lol3: :rolleyes:
Hopefully one day this will be all behind us..... our introductions will be some weird exotic meats - "hey Lauren, have you tried crocodile meat yet? :lol3:"
:spit: OMG - crocodile :lol3: IF it comes to that - I QUIT :lol2: :dash: :D

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Breakfast went very, very, very well today :jive:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let's see. Walden and Wendall has NM Lamb and fresh cut up chicken. EASY..... OH SO EASY with those two :rub: :rub:.

Perla had Weruva Chicken/Duck - 2.5 ounces :shocker: and some rehydrated S&C chicken. She was HUNGRY! even though she had a HUGE bedtime meal of S&C rehydrated Duck.

Pipsqueak, Presley and Perkins :dance: all had almost TWO OUNCES EACH of Nature's Variety Organic Chicken :happy3: !! I pick out the bone fragments and have to push Pipsqueak away from the pile - :lol3: he doesn't understand why I am not offering that to him. He just LOVES this morning ritual so very much :lovegrin: and so do I. They started out downstairs as usual with .25 ounce of Weruva chicken/duck. Then upstairs we go. They are SO down with this routine and it has been working beautifully. They just sit on the counter in their spot waiting for the raw meat :clap::clap::clap: Pipsqueak also ate about .25 ounce of Nature's Menu Turkey too on top of the almost 2 ounces of NVorg. Chicken :shocked: I was thinking of trying to just start off with the raw in their bowls downstairs - but I am too "chicken" :lol3: I am worried they will reject the meat again and I am so happy about the way this is progressing that I will just keep this up for now. I really don't mind and it actually takes less time this way than the other way I was feeding them before - running from bowl to bowl with topper's. No more topper's needed :woohoo:

I would like to try Primal Rabbit - when it comes available again. I am waiting for NV Rabbit and Primal Rabbit..... I am thinking the cat's might really like the Primal rabbit since they ALL loved the NV rabbit. We will see.

Last edited: