A New "Raw"some Beginning... (yup - another one LOL)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
THANK YOU :hugs::hugs:

:woohoo: :banana1: :dance: :banana2: GREAT BREAKFAST TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Everyone - including Pipsqueak had about 1/2 ounce of the NM Lamb!!!!! Walden and Wendall had 50% NM Lamb and 50% NVorg. Chicken. The four P's all had 1/2 ounce of NM Lamb and 1/2 ounce of NVorg Chicken mixed with Wellness Chicken and Herring. OK - it did take a little Fortiflora to get Presley started. Perkins, Perla and Pip all ate very well for me. Pip did leave a little - then asked for more food about ten minutes later. Offered him his plate back and sprinkled the WL on top and that got him going again :bigthumb:

I have to say - I love the NM Lamb so far. No upset tummies and everyone seems to like it. Tomorrow I will push to 75% NM Lamb!!!! :cross: :wavey:

parsleysage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you Anna
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How nice to have you drop in
I was so shocked that my babies all lost a few ounces
not gained. SO how come they look like they are bigger
Except Pipsqueak and Perla. They are just perfect now. The other four boys - well - I guess they are not as porky as I thought

Awww, so glad to hear about the weigh-ins!!!  It's good they have lost some weight.  I know you are a happy mama esp because Nature's Menu seems to be the trick your P's needed to like raw!  Knock on wood OF COURSE!

And yeah, I dropped in out of the blue heehee but been reading since day one!  Catching up on you raw-feeding ladies is my favorite part of the day!  I just keep the forum open on my browser and when I come back: refresh!  

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, Anna, I'm also glad you dropped in, because I missed the weigh-ins somehow! :dk:

Wow - we're having the opposites. :lol3: I thought mine were losing weight, and they gained! And of course I'm having the same thing - the ones that need to lose it aren't. :lol3:

I WANT NATURE'S MENU FOODS! :lol3:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awww, so glad to hear about the weigh-ins!!!  It's good they have lost some weight.  I know you are a happy mama esp because Nature's Menu seems to be the trick your P's needed to like raw!  Knock on wood OF COURSE!

And yeah, I dropped in out of the blue heehee but been reading since day one!  Catching up on you raw-feeding ladies is my favorite part of the day!  I just keep the forum open on my browser and when I come back: refresh!  :clap:
AWWWW thank you !!!! We love an audience :flail: This is NOT an easy thing to do - transitioning to raw with the kitties. BUT we are all wanting this so badly for our kitties - we will persevere and keep trying :D :clap::clap::clap:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, Anna, I'm also glad you dropped in, because I missed the weigh-ins somehow! :dk:
Wow - we're having the opposites. :lol3: I thought mine were losing weight, and they gained! And of course I'm having the same thing - the ones that need to lose it aren't. :lol3:
I WANT NATURE'S MENU FOODS! :lol3:
YOU have to get some NM for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG the meat is gorgeous and NO BONES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap::clap: I am going to order some Hare Today Pork and rabbit next week too. ;)

I wonder if I should be worried about the slight weight loss. Even though the fatties need to lose some - Pipsqueak and Perla are just perfect and can not lose anymore IMO. Larry says I just like plump pets :lol3: YES - he is right - I like them a bit fatter - even my horses, I always wanted them "beefy" :lol2: I will keep a closer watch on weights. Two week weigh ins from now on :nod:

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think you should be worried about it. Have you talked about what their ideal weights are with the vet? Because I KNOW my idea of what was healthy is fatter than what IS healthy. :nod: I'll just never get over last year at the vet. I thought Shel was a little thin, and she said he could stand to lose a pound. :lol3:

I'd show pictures, but they never look as bony in the pics as they do in person.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dinner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :woohoo: :jump: OK we are on to something here ladies :happy3: The NM Lamb is getting better and better reviews from the critics as the days go on. Tonight was about 50% NM Lamb and less than 25% NV chicken. Added in for extra push was GO trout. Just a tad of Fortiflora for Presley - all other's ate well. Perla even came for dinner tonight and pigged out. I honestly think the NV is the problem and tomorrow will be 75% NM Lamb with canned only. No NVorg. chicken tomorrow. I still have about two pounds each of NVorg. chicken and NV Lamb. Once those bags are gone, I am done with the NV products. Way too many large bones. :nono: The only NV product that I might keep in rotation is the NV Organic Chicken. The bones/cartilage are not nearly as large and sharp as the other proteins. I am going to order some Hare Today Pork and Rabbit next week. I would really love to get some Rad Cat - and pushing one of the natural stores to contact their distributor to see if they will stock it :cross: :cross: Wouldn't that be wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I told the store owner that once people got wind of the Rad Cat, the ingredients - it will be a big seller. :D

OH - Pipsqueak does seem to like the NM Lamb too - although he is a lover of the NVorg. chicken too. As long as I pick out the bones and cartilage - I won't worry about feeding that to Pip. Next up after the introduction of the NM Lamb will be the NM Turkey - probably Tuesday. Because Monday will be 100% NM Lamb :cross: :nervous: :lol3:

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think you should be worried about it. Have you talked about what their ideal weights are with the vet? Because I KNOW my idea of what was healthy is fatter than what IS healthy. :nod: I'll just never get over last year at the vet. I thought Shel was a little thin, and she said he could stand to lose a pound. :lol3:
I'd show pictures, but they never look as bony in the pics as they do in person.
When I took the three P's in for their distemper shot in December - the vet said that all were about one - two pounds overweight :eek:. Honestly, I don't see it. OK maybe a pound but no more :lol3: Pipsqueak lost too much when he was on the Baytril and feeling sick :(. But he is back eating well again and I am offering him an extra meal or two during the day. He doesn't eat at much at one feeding as he used too. He is not thin - but I am used to him being a bit plumper. He does run around and play more than he ever did before. Just more energetic and kittenish :lol2:. The raw is taking credit for that change in Pip. A wonderful change too :D :clap::clap::clap: Funny thing is ..... they look a bit more round than before raw :confused: but weigh a little less...... strange - but I am not worried - they are happy and very, very playful babies :rub: ;)

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The four P's sure told me off this morning :mad:. Even got a bite from Pipsqueak :lol3: after serving him breakfast. Today was 75% NM Lamb. No GO!!!!!! :(. All four of them were very disgusted with me. Perla took :dash:. Perkins stared at :shocked: Presley covered :hide: and Pipsqueak gave it to me :wife:. :flail: OK - so momma is going to fast again. SHOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope this doesn't back them off all together again and I have to start over :yelling:!!!!!!! I will go back to 50% NM Lamb and stay there for a few days. I guess the plan for 100% NM Lamb has been squashed. Walden and Wendall will be my 100% raw eaters. I wonder if the four P's will be 50% raw eaters :dk: Seems every time I try to push it more - they all refuse to eat - no matter what toppings I put on. SO tonight I will offer 1/2 ounce of NM Lamb and add in 1/2 ounce of NV org. chicken (since that combo has been working) and 1 ounce of Weruva Mack/Jack just to get them back on track. Perla didn't even come back down to eat at all. When I came back upstairs - she was waiting for me on the counter - I offered her a different wet food with just a little NM Lamb NOPE - :dash:. She came back in the kitchen about 1/2 hour later and I fed her WL chicken :sigh: Don't want to be doing that. She is already addicted to the WL. THEN she wanted MORE food about 1/2 hour later after the WL chicken. Offered more NM Lamb - :dash: again. :rolleyes: Finally she ate some canned Wellness later. These four P's are turning into the four PIA'S..... :lol2:

I just have to take this process turtle slow or slower, more like snail pace with Pip, Perla, Perk and Pres. Walden and Wendall are my raw eating champs :clap::clap: and make life so easy for momma :heart3: :rub:

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
These four P's are turning into the four PIA'S..... :lol2:
:flail: :flail: Oh Lauren - I don't mean to laugh at your frustration, but they WAY you put it was just too funny! :hugs:

I just have to take this process turtle slow or slower, more like snail pace with Pip, Perla, Perk and Pres.
Slow works!

:vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: they're good with the 50% again tonight and don't drive you completely crazy!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:flail: :flail: Oh Lauren - I don't mean to laugh at your frustration, but they WAY you put it was just too funny! :hugs:
Slow works!
:vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: they're good with the 50% again tonight and don't drive you completely crazy!
HEE HEE !!!!!! The four PIA's did eat the 50% mixture with the 50% Mack/Jack. BUT :crazy: it took some convincing that I wasn't tricking them again. :rolleyes2: I will definitely keep them at 50% for a few more days and see if I can push to 75%. Just don't think these PIA's will ever be at 100% :flail: :bigmouth:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, look at it this way. If you feed them at 50% for the next WEEK, they'll be so used to it, maybe they won't notice when you do bump it to 75%! :flail:

Well.... we can dream..... :) :hugs: :heart3: :vibes: :D

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
WELL- I can't even get them to eat 1/8 of an ounce of the NM Lamb anymore - those "Picky Four's"..... :sniffle: No more NM Lamb for those four. Good news first :D - Walden and Wendall had 100% NM Lamb this morning. :clap::clap::clap: Those boys are my champs :lovegrin:

NOW - the Picky Four's. What a PIA this morning again. The ferals got an excellent meal today :lol3: Anyway - can you believe I even had to use some Fortiflora to get Presley and Perla to even eat Wellness Beef/Chicken :frusty:. Still they ran off. It seems they are associated the Fortiflora with raw meat now. :shocker: Unbelievable to me. I am not upset at all - I just feel so badly for my four babies that they are yet again stressed during mealtime. After trying a few different thing's to get them to eat. I just let them settle. Cleaned up and went upstairs. Rehydrated five patties of S&C freeze-dried Lamb. They all ate like they were starved :sigh: Pipsqueak had a fresh can of Wellness chicken and ate 3 ounces !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Plan (what number plan am I on now with the Picky Four :scratch: :think: )....... I will try the Nature's Menu Turkey tomorrow and give them a break today. IF the turkey is not well taken - then I will move to the Nature's Menu Chicken. I am thinking from now on of doing it this way - the way Carolina suggested. Making a pea sized ball of raw and putting it next to the wet food on the plate. Since mixing it in with the wet has not been consistently working - I will try that other way. One thing for sure is that they LOVE the S&C freeze-dried dog patties. I do know they love Bravo meats too - but I think I have to supplement those meats. I found this out when Wilbur was eating Bravo last Fall. That was the meat that Presley would gobble off my finger - just raw meat - no topping's, no mess, no fussing. :hmm: Maybe I might go back to sitting on the floor and hand offering the raw meat again :lol3: It seemed to work back then very well.

Dinner will be more rehydrated S&C and some EVO canned. Walden and Wendall will have NM Lamb mixed with NVorg. chicken for dinner. My happy raw eating carnies - the two W's. :rub: :rub:

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, I'm finding that the plan to introduce 25%/50%/75% then go to 100% doesn't work for my kitties. Yes, it needs to be introduced slowly, but they don't seem to want anything (other than NV rabbit LOL) at 100%. Yours are also used to getting variety - so once you introduce the proteins and they've eaten them up to 50% for a day or two, you may find you need to rotate proteins they already know. :dk: And down the road, like I'm doing, you may be able to mix the proteins, so they don't have to eat more than 50/50 at a meal. :dk: Don't forget - you can mix the rehydrated patties with the other raw too. :nod: I know that too many proteins can cause GI issues.... but if you stick to only two - maybe three - proteins in any given day, you may not have a problem. :dk:

It's definitely a process and a labor of love, and you're finding their preferences and limits, that's for sure! :hugs: :hugs: :heart3:

BTW - Bravo definitely has balanced meals. They also have unsupplemented meat OR meat/bone mixes. :nod: You just have to make sure which ones you're buying, that's all. :D And yes - the Bravo meats were VERY juicy!!! I had the unsupplemented, so I don't know about the balanced stuff. But I'm sure you'll find out. :D

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lauren, here is what I do when they start getting finicky on the transition - I give them a break.... Say they are at the 50% level and I notice they are not eating well..... I serve them the next meal a meal that they love, without the meat they are being transitioned to.... usually this is the last meal of the day - and the next day I still move on to the next level. This seems to reset things.
I also rotate the base meats. So, in your case, you can do that with canned, or with re-hydrated S&C, or whatever flavors they eat and love. I never do my intros with one flavor - the only constant is the percentage of the meat I am introducing..... but the "base meat", I am always rotating to keep things interesting. The more they love this base meat, the more successful your rotation will be.
It is ok to give them a break - just pick up from the level you were before, and keep going from it when you come back to it. I did the same with NM lamb..... and they love it now.....
For Hare today Rabbit, when I got to 100%, I skipped 2 meals to give them a break, as they were sick and tired of it - only the last meal of the 100% day was rabbit..... and was successful, as they had had their beloved turkey and lamb on that day for a reset.....
You need to play by the ear..... If they are tired of it, give them a break..... Try to give them 2 meals on each level, and you should be good to go :wavey:
:hugs:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, I'm finding that the plan to introduce 25%/50%/75% then go to 100% doesn't work for my kitties. Yes, it needs to be introduced slowly, but they don't seem to want anything (other than NV rabbit LOL) at 100%. Yours are also used to getting variety - so once you introduce the proteins and they've eaten them up to 50% for a day or two, you may find you need to rotate proteins they already know. :dk: And down the road, like I'm doing, you may be able to mix the proteins, so they don't have to eat more than 50/50 at a meal. :dk: Don't forget - you can mix the rehydrated patties with the other raw too. :nod: I know that too many proteins can cause GI issues.... but if you stick to only two - maybe three - proteins in any given day, you may not have a problem. :dk:
It's definitely a process and a labor of love, and you're finding their preferences and limits, that's for sure! :hugs: :hugs: :heart3:
BTW - Bravo definitely has balanced meals. They also have unsupplemented meat OR meat/bone mixes. :nod: You just have to make sure which ones you're buying, that's all. :D And yes - the Bravo meats were VERY juicy!!! I had the unsupplemented, so I don't know about the balanced stuff. But I'm sure you'll find out. :D
:doh3: I never thought of mixing the rehydrated patties in with the raw frozen meat meals.... might "spice" things up for them too. YEAH the 25/50/75/100 plan doesn't work for these four. I get to about 50% just fine then when I move to 75% all bets are off. THEN when I go back down to save myself - they still refuse..... The only meat I ever go to 100% was the NV rabbit. I really have to wonder if I was able to keep that going if I would be farther along in this process than we are now. I am going to Four Legs this afternoon to look at the Bravo products they have. :cross:

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lauren, here is what I do when they start getting finicky on the transition - I give them a break.... Say they are at the 50% level and I notice they are not eating well..... I serve them the next meal a meal that they love, without the meat they are being transitioned to.... usually this is the last meal of the day - and the next day I still move on to the next level. This seems to reset things.
I also rotate the base meats. So, in your case, you can do that with canned, or with re-hydrated S&C, or whatever flavors they eat and love. I never do my intros with one flavor - the only constant is the percentage of the meat I am introducing..... but the "base meat", I am always rotating to keep things interesting. The more they love this base meat, the more successful your rotation will be.
It is ok to give them a break - just pick up from the level you were before, and keep going from it when you come back to it. I did the same with NM lamb..... and they love it now.....
For Hare today Rabbit, when I got to 100%, I skipped 2 meals to give them a break, as they were sick and tired of it - only the last meal of the 100% day was rabbit..... and was successful, as they had had their beloved turkey and lamb on that day for a reset.....
You need to play by the ear..... If they are tired of it, give them a break..... Try to give them 2 meals on each level, and you should be good to go :wavey:
:hugs:
Will do, thanks :hugs:. I will give them a break for dinner tonight... and will try just the NVorg. chicken in the morning. I think that is a good plan too - if I see them backing off - not offer that meat at the next meal, instead off them something I know they will devour. That way mealtime won't turn into a circus :dizzy: :spin: :crazy:. Tomorrow night I will intro the Nature's Menu Turkey. AND I never thought of using the S&C as the base meat.... I just hope that doesn't throw them off of the S&C though - they are really tough ones. The only thing that seems to get them eating the raw meat (and they have trained me) is the tuna-based grain free wet foods. Like Weruva, Fussy Cat, or BFF. Then they will eat the raw meat - but not because of the raw meat, they eat because of the tuna. I have even been thinking of using tuna juice to entice them. I DO have more tricks up my sleeve :lol3:

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have figured out that Perla, Perkins and Presley are addicted to Fortiflora. They are expecting sprinkles even for canned food. Nope - not doing that :lol3: I am going to keep meals for the four P's wet food for now to get them back eating well again without the use of Fortiflora. I will not be ordering more Fortiflora - even though I want to so badly. It has become a huge issue with those three and I have to break them out of that drug addition :lol2: What I did do this morning was what I did before introductions with them. I sit on the floor when I feed Wilbur. I had plates ready for any takers. YEP - there were taker's. Perkins and Presley each had one ounce of NVorg. chicken - straight from my hand!!! No toppers - nothing. Just the meat. That made me very happy. Of course, Walden and Wendall wanted some too. They had 100% NM Lamb for breakfast but I still let them have a taste. Perla and Pipsqueak do not come into the raw eating circle on the floor - never have. OH well - they don't know what they are missing :lol3: I will do this for a couple of days and see where we are at. I will try to introduce Nature's Menu Turkey in the raw eating circle tonight at dinner!!!!! :lol2: :cross:

I am running to Costco today - they have an excellent selection of quality meats. Will be picking up some organic chicken breast for the kids to see if anyone would love a little piece of fresh chicken meat!!! :wavey:

Last edited: