2-3 Year Old Cat Possibly Pregnant

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

caringforcats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Baby Bean won't pee or eat because his tummy is full. How do we fix this? She's trying to make him potty but it's not happening

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Bean will pee when she needs to.

If she's constipated they can add a few drops of olive or vegetable oil to her bottle to soften things up.

Kittens do not necessarily go poo after every single feeding.

caringforcats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah it would appear we had two little boys. Bean. He hasn't eaten since ten. At 7 this morning he hadn't peed either, it's been almost a day.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Your original question did not include the information that Bean is not eating.

Perhaps Bean peed in his bedding and no one saw it.

It's okay to wait until the next feeding if Bean is not hungry.

If Bean is bloated, he may be given a few drops of infant simethicone to relieve gas.

Is Bean lethargic or acting normally?

caringforcats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It seems he's acting normally. He's constipated too and since he won't eat they're taking him to the vet.

caringforcats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, Bean had pneumonia and while he was given antibiotics We may have caught it too late because he just passed away. It was probably mine or my mother's fault for feeding it wrong. She nay take the black baby, but we're not sure yet. Right now we're just letting them grieve. RIP Alex, sweet baby angel.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I feared pneumonia when you reported that Bean would not eat. Since Bean had gained weight, it's likely that at some point Bean inhaled formula into his lungs. Kittens this young do not recover from this. It is usually only a matter of about 24 hours between inhaling formula and death. I'm sorry this happened.

I would recommend that Cocoa stay with his mother for a good 10-12 weeks since he is doing well. This is the preferred amount of time for a kitten to become well-socialized before re-homing. Mom is best for as long as possible.

RIP little Bean.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's more likely the pneumonia was the result of inhaling formula. Nobody's fault, but it happens in hand-reared kittens frequently.

caringforcats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey guys! It's been a long time. Here's an update:

Mama has officially entered "Mama Mode." She's in a room by herself, blocked off by cardboard and stuff that she doesn't try to clear, even though she's been in heat. Well, my big fat Captain stretched up on his hind legs and was looking at the baby, not even in the room, and suddenly, WHAM! Princess clears the cardboard by a good foot and a half and starts chasing my poor 15 pound cat up and down the hall into the bathroom, where my mother has to pick her up and carry the hum-growling mother back to her big fat baby. Now every time my mother tries to comb the baby for fleas (which are much more under control now!), Princess literally SITS on him.

Little guy's eyes are open now, and when he sleeps, he stretches out in between mama's back legs. He's HUGE - I think he was weighing in at ten oz today, and he's almost three weeks old. His ears are standing up and he responds when we talk to him! It's so thrilling to have one baby be thriving. It was heartbreaking to lose two, but it's good to know we have one healthy one.

His name is going to be Stanley from here on out!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He sounds very healthy, and he should weigh about 16 ounces when he's four weeks old, so he's right on track. :)