2-3 Year Old Cat Possibly Pregnant

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't give up.  We've seen kittens come pack from this.  If the kitten isn't eating as much at feedings, try feeding every hour.  Make sure the formula and kitten are both warm. You can try a tiny smear of light karo syrup or honey on the lips or gums if she is too tired to eat.  We have seen kittens come back from this but it takes work and diligence.

Did you check this kitten for fleas?  If you see any pick them off or you can use a flea come and then dip it in a dawn and water solution to kill the fleas.  I don't know how long it takes for flea eggs to hatch so you need to keep checking.

raffaellothecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just caught up on the entire thread. I hope all your babies are doing well, and please keep us posted! I only have one kitten that I find so stressful to deal with when he gets sick so you're a star for nursing a mom and her babies at once! Good luck! :) 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

caringforcats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We gave little Bean to a new family. They will give her a better life, and take care of her. (As you may have seen on the other thread- oops!)

In other news, big BD is fat and happy. Princess isn't too concerned with the removal of Bean. I will keep everyone updated!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hopefully Bean will pull through. Please keep us updated.

Last edited:

caringforcats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: My friend is a great mother for baby. She makes sure to feed her on time and every hour (though at night she's gonna feed her every two hours) and I'm trying to figure out how she's gonna keep her warm at night cuz rice packs do not work forever and an hour at whatever her room temperature is definitely wouldn't be good.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Update: My friend is a great mother for baby. She makes sure to feed her on time and every hour (though at night she's gonna feed her every two hours) and I'm trying to figure out how she's gonna keep her warm at night cuz rice packs do not work forever and an hour at whatever her room temperature is definitely wouldn't be good.
If the rice pack is microwaved for  5 minutes it should hold the heat for 3-4 hours.  If sh is feeding every two hours she can have 2 and put a new one in at feeding time.

caringforcats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Bean made it through the night and I'm told by her mother that she is looking better. Her cord is starting to fall off. We may be able to have this baby survive, and I'll be so pleased if she does. She wouldn't have with us. We gave our best, but sometimes our best isn't the best that can be given.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Give mama kitty some canned pumpkin to eat (not pumpkin pie filling). She can also have boiled chicken and cooked rice and scrambled eggs.

Have you thought of putting Bean back on mama after she's grown some and is suckling well?

caringforcats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Bean has a bit runny poo. Its not the runs but it's not as firm as yesterday. Mama and BD are doing excellent.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's from formula. Which formula brand are they using?

I assumed it was your mama cat since Bean is with experienced caregivers.

It's normal when switching from mom's milk to formula. They can mix the formula with clear pedialyte instead of water for now.

caringforcats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Got some amazing news today. 4Days ago, Alex (bean) was 2.4 ounces.

Today, he is 4 ounces even.
He's gained .4 oz every day since we gave him up!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hurray! :)

Bean has almost doubled her weight!

This is music to my ears!

How's Cocoa doing?