Yup, just what my area of the country needs more of! LOL

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Who wouldn't want 4-8" more snow this winter?

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are in the 4-6 range.  I honestly can not wait as it means husband is home on a Monday-Litter box help!  But no for anyone who has to go out I truly understand the dread of yet more snow.

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We got a fresh 8 inches yesterday, on top of the freezing rain. l feel blessed.

laralove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We got 1/2 inch here and 1 inch where my kids go to school. Out for the whole week! I understood the first couple of days, but by Friday, even my rural road was completely free of anything. Didn't even look like it had snowed except for a couple patches in permanently shaded areas in people's yards. Just doesn't make sense to me. That's a day off their summer break!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We didn't know we were to get four inches of snow last night into today. Got up and went to the basement to hit the treadmill and I thought it looked a little white outside (esp considering we lost a lot of snow over the weekend), but didn't think much of it. Didn't look like it was doing much, so I stayed on the treadmill, figuring we got a bit of snow overnight, but no big deal. Well, Rick came down at 6;15 to tell me that it was snowing like crazy outside and if he was going to take me to work, I'd best be getting moving. Fast. No way, I simply couldn't make it. So he left and I went upstairs and got my shower and got ready. 

It was ugly getting to work this morning. I have a hill (well, I can't get to the main road anywhere without going down a steep hill. Got to the stop sign and slid to a stop. Got to the hill and there was a car in front of me with the 4-ways on. Evidently the plow and cinder truck didn't get to the hill yet and somebody was having a devil of a time getting up. I felt so bad for him. Line of cars, all waiting to get up the hill, long line behind me, waiting to get down. We all took turns, slipping and sliding up and down the hill. Til I got down to the bottom, I wasn't handling anything well at that point. Once I got to the main road, I was fine; the main road is slushy, but OK. The worst part on the main road are the drivers who think that 35 miles an hour is too fast. I had to get into the passing lane, just to get away from them. They don't realize that it's just as dangerous to drive too slowly as it is to drive like a bat. There has to be a happy medium. Long line of cars, all going about 30 mph on a road that's really not that bad and nobody wants to pass. So I did. And one was all it took; then people started passing. I can drive in this stuff, but I don't like to if I can get out of it. But I can do it.

Parking lot is terrible, nothing is shoveled. And it's still coming down....we can't see the road from our window in the building. It's all white. 

Area schools are on a 2-hour delay, the ones that haven't cancelled for the day. (My sister is a school teacher and she loves snow days. I thought of her this morning as I was sliding into work. 
  She called me from the comfort of her kitchen (sipping a mug of hot chocolate to boot) to make sure I made it into work OK. I also thought, yet again, that I should have majored in elementary education instead of geography.)

Belize. The day after I retire. I swear.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise

We didn't know we were to get four inches of snow last night into today. Got up and went to the basement to hit the treadmill and I thought it looked a little white outside (esp considering we lost a lot of snow over the weekend), but didn't think much of it. Didn't look like it was doing much, so I stayed on the treadmill, figuring we got a bit of snow overnight, but no big deal. Well, Rick came down at 6;15 to tell me that it was snowing like crazy outside and if he was going to take me to work, I'd best be getting moving. Fast. No way, I simply couldn't make it. So he left and I went upstairs and got my shower and got ready. 

It was ugly getting to work this morning. I have a hill (well, I can't get to the main road anywhere without going down a steep hill. Got to the stop sign and slid to a stop. Got to the hill and there was a car in front of me with the 4-ways on. Evidently the plow and cinder truck didn't get to the hill yet and somebody was having a devil of a time getting up. I felt so bad for him. Line of cars, all waiting to get up the hill, long line behind me, waiting to get down. We all took turns, slipping and sliding up and down the hill. Til I got down to the bottom, I wasn't handling anything well at that point. Once I got to the main road, I was fine; the main road is slushy, but OK. The worst part on the main road are the drivers who think that 35 miles an hour is too fast. I had to get into the passing lane, just to get away from them. They don't realize that it's just as dangerous to drive too slowly as it is to drive like a bat. There has to be a happy medium. Long line of cars, all going about 30 mph on a road that's really not that bad and nobody wants to pass. So I did. And one was all it took; then people started passing. I can drive in this stuff, but I don't like to if I can get out of it. But I can do it.

Parking lot is terrible, nothing is shoveled. And it's still coming down....we can't see the road from our window in the building. It's all white. 

Area schools are on a 2-hour delay, the ones that haven't cancelled for the day. (My sister is a school teacher and she loves snow days. I thought of her this morning as I was sliding into work. 
  She called me from the comfort of her kitchen (sipping a mug of hot chocolate to boot) to make sure I made it into work OK. I also thought, yet again, that I should have majored in elementary education instead of geography.)

Belize. The day after I retire. I swear.
Please take me with you...

4-8" here today!  And I remembered that I left my boots in the car, so I had to wrap my slippers in shopping bags to get out! (It worked very well, BTW.)  Luckily, the County closed before the snow started, so I have a paid day off!!!!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Down here in SW NE there is definitely conflicting reports. It's supposed to start snowing here tonight with one station saying we'll get 1-3 inches and the Lincoln station saying 4-6
We have about 4 on the ground right now because it has never got warm enough to melt anything, our HIGHS for Wednesday and Thursday are in the single digits although some are saying teens. (?) We need the moisture so bad I'm hoping for more! ( that doesn't make me popular!) I just feel so sorry for the feral cats, I don't know how they make it, although at least they are getting food!

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
You're more than welcome to come with me, Barbara. 
 I'm to the point I'll take my chances with the hurricanes. Sounds like those shopping bags worked pretty well for you!

Our County doesn't shut down. Period. We are expected to be at work and, if we can't make it in, that's what vacation days are for. But if we take too many vacation days for snow days, then we get in trouble for that. I took one snow day one year. Just one; it was on Valentine's Day a few years ago and we got 14 inches of snow; I called in and took a vacation day. And got in trouble. That's why Rick brings me into work when the roads are bad. I still get here. And most of the time, I do drive myself. But if we think the roads are going to be really bad, he'll bring me in, then he'll take the Tucson to work. It has AWD, so we both feel a little better about it. Neither Rick's work nor my work ever shuts down, unless it's a die-hard emergency.

We are finally out of the single digits during the day, anyway. Not so much at night, although it's warmer than it had been. But while before it was almost too cold to snow, now we're getting the snow and ice again. We're in another storm warning, starting Tuesday night into Wednesday night. Not sure if that's all snow, or if there's some freezing stuff mixed-in.

Last edited:

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
When I went out to shovel (the second time), a neighbor told me that it's supposed to snow until 5 PM. Now, they are predicting up to 12", which seems right to me, judging by what I shoveled.

Oh, and BTW, a Subaru Impreza makes a lovely snow packing machine!
  I just drive it back and forth in the driveway, over the hump of snow at the foot of the driveway (they plowed in about 18-24" of snow there), and it saves shoveling, if you don't mind having a tiny layer of snow on the driveway. I have since stopped caring what the neighbors think.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
It's unbelievable how much snow everybody is getting in the U.S. this winter. A friend who lives in West Chester, PA just posted today's photos on Facebook. It looks bad.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, and BTW, a Subaru Impreza makes a lovely snow packing machine!
  I just drive it back and forth in the driveway, over the hump of snow at the foot of the driveway (they plowed in about 18-24" of snow there), and it saves shoveling, if you don't mind having a tiny layer of snow on the driveway. I have since stopped caring what the neighbors think.
That's pretty much what we've done with our Subaru this winter...though not intentionally! I've only been shoveling the walkwasys and right up around the garage door.  Gravel driveways are a pain to shovel.  We end up raking stone back into the driveway from the yard in the spring.  Fortunately; none of our snows have been truly deep.  My outback has gotten right through it.  But it's also been DH driving; I've been home a lot this winter! 

We were supposed to get a little mixed stuff here but so far it's just been rain.  Lots of rain.  They said we are still supposed to get something; just a bit later than expected. 

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise

Yes just in time for the belt to break on the snow blower.
Oh, no!  I hope you can get another belt very soon.

After getting about 10" today, we're due to get 4-8" MORE tomorrow night. Oh, my aching back! Suubie, are you ready? Good. Get ready for more redneck snowplowing!

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Here, too, starting around midnight tonight. First we're to get 5 inches or so of snow. Then the freezing rain/mix Wednesday morning. Rick already told his boss that he's not coming into work on Wednesday....he's even had it up to "here". So if he's not going to work, guess who else won't be going to work either? Wednesday is a good day to make sticky buns, I reckon.

Oh, there was talk on our local weatherweenies broadcast last night about a possible nor'easter coming up the coast Sunday and Monday. I haven't heard much about it, just the word "nor'easter" last night. He won't talk about amounts yet.

I am not amused.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, definitely getting sick of it. I think we ended up with around 7 inches here yesterday. I shoveled our driveway three times and the neighbors twice. Overnight it is supposed to start again go most of the day tomorrow, then change to a messy mix, then back to snow. :rolleyes: Then there is the storm Pam mentioned for Sunday into Monday. They have said they may be measuring that one in feet. :rolleyes:

At least this latest storm was pretty:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
No, my yard borders a golf course and I took a walk out onto it this morning with my camera.

I did take a walk along the Bay earlier:

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We were supposed to get 4" today but instead just got 1". However, to make up for it we got a nice layer of sleet and freezing rain on top of it. This is on top the 3" that didn't all melt from Sunday. Oh and there's more coming Thursday, Friday, then Saturday night. Glad I stocked up! :D

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
5 inches on the ground this morning with more coming down. Ice to follow in a couple of hours, then up to 3 inches of more snow this afternoon. Rick and I got out of bed, looked around and then he made the call: Personal days for both of us. Not going into work. (I had already told my boss that if  I didn't show up today, to put me down for a personal day. He said OK.) I already texted with one of my co-workers; he's taking a personal day today, too. We're just tired of dealing with it.

ETA: Another co-worker just texted me: "Not dealing with it. NOT" He's not going into work today either. 

Last edited: