Yup, just what my area of the country needs more of! LOL

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just watched a guy spend 20 minutes getting out of the parking lot.  By the way he parks I could tell he wasn't a very good driver, I was watching because I was afraid he would hit another car namely mine.  He was giving it too much gas so he was getting stuck and had no control.  He got stuck so no one else could get out.  He finally had three guys helping him, I guess one got frustrated and got in and drove while he pushed.  I have had enough of this winter.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I'm, too, sick of this weather. Freezing rain and ice today. It will make for a lovely commute to and from work. Hopefully I'll have a half day today.

Oh, a blizzard coming this weekend too. Yay. not.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Our power went out at 6:00 AM today due to the ice (but no snow).  It just came back on 5 hours later.  Of course, there was no heat, and it was 56F in the house, and I'm dressed in a hoodie, 3 pairs of sweatpants, DH's Marine Corps knitted hat, and 3 pairs of socks--with somewhat grungy hair. I look like a cast member from Breaking Bad, except that I'm too fat to look like a meth addict.

At least they closed work today, so I didn't have to venture out in the mess.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm glad you got your power back!

I think this is the storm to push me over the edge. I was dealing with it OK until now.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Thanks! The power seems fine now, but 350,000 PECO customers in the Tri-State area are without it, and 80% of my county is without power.

My neighbor's tree had many big limbs come down against my house, on the deck and the shed roof, which has 3 huge ones on it. I don't think there's damage, but, due to the snow, it's hard to get out there. What steams me up is that, last summer, he made a comment to DH about how the tree needed to be cut down, but he couldn't afford it. DH kindly offered to help him for free, but he declined. I think he should be over he, apologizing and offering to help and/or to see if there's any damage. How the heck he not see it or hear the noise? It started around 5AM! DH is going to have a chat with him later. I've taken photos. Those limbs came VERY close to the living quarters of our house--and the next time, we may not be so lucky. They were right over our heads in the upstairs bedroom.

When one branch broke, Marge and I were in the nearest room, and we both ran into the next room just in case.  The cat and I were both tripping over each other, which was funny!

Last edited:

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
His insurance will pay for it now (and your damages) so l guess he saved money 

Scary. l'm glad you guys are okay. And your house.

We had a neighbour's tree flatten our connecting fence, squashed our shed and the kids' (at the time) playstructure. The crack of it first starting to come down sounded like a gun shot.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just went out and I didn't have any problems getting out of the parking lot and they haven't done any cleaning.  I didn't have to go out but it's not going to get warmer in the near future and I didn't want to deal with it when I needed to go somewhere.  Of course with sleet on top of thick snow it took a while to get the car cleaned off but I drove out with no problems.

There were guys out there earlier with shovels, pieces of cardboard behind their drive wheels, and up to 3 people pushing them.  It's not that bad they were doing that typical thing, the tires start spinning give it more gas.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
We just lost power again, of course just as I was going to start dinner, but it was only out for 40 minutes. At least I don't think we have any more branches down.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We lost power for 7 hours.  Had mini fire on line/brush.  The limbs that fell of our pine came awfully close to car:(  We can not afford to do anything with that tree and we do not plan to stay much longer so even if money was there I would just leave it be. 

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd happily take snow over the deluge of rain we've been getting lately!
You say that; but if you lived up here you'd be as happy as I am that we escaped this storm with only rain!  So so grateful even!!  DH is tired of going to work with 2 layers of thermals under his regular clothing!

Our power went out at 6:00 AM today due to the ice (but no snow).  It just came back on 5 hours later.  Of course, there was no heat, and it was 56F in the house, and I'm dressed in a hoodie, 3 pairs of sweatpants, DH's Marine Corps knitted hat, and 3 pairs of socks--with somewhat grungy hair. I look like a cast member from Breaking Bad, except that I'm too fat to look like a meth addict.

At least they closed work today, so I didn't have to venture out in the mess.
Ugh...that's what I hate about losing power here.  The heat and also our water!  I want a fireplace or a wood stove or something!  I keep thinking if I say it enough; one will magically appear!

Thanks! The power seems fine now, but 350,000 PECO customers in the Tri-State area are without it, and 80% of my county is without power.

My neighbor's tree had many big limbs come down against my house, on the deck and the shed roof, which has 3 huge ones on it. I don't think there's damage, but, due to the snow, it's hard to get out there. What steams me up is that, last summer, he made a comment to DH about how the tree needed to be cut down, but he couldn't afford it. DH kindly offered to help him for free, but he declined. I think he should be over he, apologizing and offering to help and/or to see if there's any damage. How the heck he not see it or hear the noise? It started around 5AM! DH is going to have a chat with him later. I've taken photos. Those limbs came VERY close to the living quarters of our house--and the next time, we may not be so lucky. They were right over our heads in the upstairs bedroom.

When one branch broke, Marge and I were in the nearest room, and we both ran into the next room just in case.  The cat and I were both tripping over each other, which was funny!
Oh that's no good!  DH and I tried to get a neighbor to let him help get a tree down but she refused as well.  There was a huge dead limb tangled in lower branches hanging above where DH's bed was.  This was back when we were dating.  The branches that came down on our fence earlier this year were from a neighbor's trees that she is rather attached to. She was upset with us for taking down our own trees that were unsafe; she's not giving those up!  They are closer to my house than hers of course. 

Noodles can sympathize with Marge; she was in here when the branches broke.  It took a while for both cats to settle down afterward!

Last edited:

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
We have more branches of that tree down. I really need to get outside today, and assess any damage and to see if the tree is ready to come down in its entirety. 

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Our son lives in Lancaster County down there and I've texted him to see if they're Ok with their power. It's hundreds of thousands of people there without power. Really nasty. Son is OK; they spent the night in the family room around the fireplace. He said they heard trees breaking and cracking all over the place with all the ice. They had many brownouts, but never really lost power.  I'm glad yours came back on and that you're all OK. 

We had another inch of very light snow last night. The plows have been going up and down our road for a while again. Getting windy, too, although as heavy as this snow is, it's not going anywhere even with wind gusts. We shoveled out yesterday afternoon....did it in two sessions. There was a nice coating of ice over everything.

Am at work this morning. 

We're good for now.....until Saturday night when the next round is due. (They're no longer talking "nor'easter", thank goodness!)

Last edited:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I heard about the power outages and wondered how many TCSers were affected. :vibes::vibes::vibes: that everybody's stays on now!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's snowing again and is supposed to turn bitter cold again the next couple of days.  We have seen so little of that this year, I wish.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I walked out to the kitchen to refill my coffee mug. Looked out the window and saw flakes gently floating down to the ground. Not a lot, not yet. But there are snow flakes out there.

We didn't get anything yesterday (Saturday), so that was good for us.

ETA: We may have had 2-3 inches, certainly no more than that.

Last edited:

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like Thursday we could see quite a but of snow.
It depends on the track of the storm whether it is more inland or coastal but we could see 1 -3 inches or 8-10 depending.
I'm so done with the snow.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
They haven't decided what's going to happen to us on Thursday yet. As you said, it's all about the track of the storm at this point. We'll get something, but amounts haven't been mentioned yet.

It was 1 degree F when I came into work this morning. We are to get down to -13F tonight. OK, that's cold. 

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
We had 3" on Sunday night; we're due to get 8-10" more from the Wednesday storm.  I find the storm's name totally inappropriate: "Pax", which means "Peace" in Latin.
    I suggest "Dolor in asinum", which means "Pain in the butt" as the name for the next storm. There are still quite a few people in my county without power. Many just got it back yesterday; now there's another 1/4" of ice coming our way. The most common question from strangers in stores: "Do you have power? I hope you do."

Remember the pipe in the garage that burst a few weeks ago? I was just out there, scooping litter boxes...you guessed it. I got sprayed with ice-cold water, as I had to run past it to get inside to shut the main off. At least it happened when I was out there, instead of when I left for work. Poor DH, who got home in the wee hours from working an 18-hour shift, had to be awakened .

Last edited:

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Now, it's up to 12".

Belize, here I come! (Sung to the tune, "California, here I come"."

Last edited: