Yup, just what my area of the country needs more of! LOL

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I saw that they named it Pax and told Rick it should be called Pox! Although the whole idea of naming winter storms is a little ridiculous....I don't remember them anyway; I just say "You know that storm back in 1996...." or whatever year I think it might be. And none of the other forecasters call them by those names, do they? Sometimes I think The Weather Channel has gotten a little too big for its britches. We tend to stay with our local weatherweenies.

Anyway, I digress. I'm sorry about your pipes. I'm glad it happened when you were right there to shut off the valve, but your poor DH having to deal with it again. I don't know about your area, but around here (central PA) it's going to get really cold again tonight. We'll probably have to turn the heaters on in the basement so we don't have burst pipes.....ours are insulated, but when it gets way down below 0, there can be problems anyway.

I think the south is supposed to get another round of ice? Something like that. It's going to be nasty.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw last night our 4-6 is 6-8.  I need to get some pet safe ice melter as we are out.  Husband gets payed Friday so maybe I will have less crowd if all went to stock up Wed, wishful thinking I know:p

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise

Now, it's up to 12".

Belize, here I come! (Sung to the tune, "California, here I come"."

I'm right there with you! 

Ok, latest forecast for here from TWC is Snow Showers both Thursday and Friday. From our local weatherweenies is snow showers.

From Accuweather? 4-8 inches starting Wednesday night and going into Thursday.

I give up.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They have issued an air quality alert for this area.  They said it's the same inversion that happens when it's really hot only it's because it is so cold.  They said that it has been very cold long enough to trap the soot close to the ground.  That's supposed to be why it has been so foggy in the mornings.

I honestly could handle the snow, it's the constant frigid cold that is getting to me.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have ten inches of the white stuff and the weatherman says more is coming in the morning.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Another change in our forecast.....now they're saying about 2 inches. Whatever.

When I got into Hannah this morning to come to work, she said it was 0. Then I watched the temperature go down to -6. I had to put gas in the car this morning and I thought my hands were going to turn into ice blocks....and that was even with gloves. Cold. Cold. Cold.

Stay safe everyone. And warm!

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Well, our total Thursday was 11 inches. It stopped very late afternoon, but then started back up again last night. They finally let us out of work yesterday around 1:15. Rick had brought me into work, so I was just going to hang out at work til he came to get me. Our administrative assistant had brought one of my co-workers into work and she was taking him back home. So they told me to hop in the car and she'd drop me off at his place until Rick got out at 3:30. His house is about 8 blocks from where Rick works so it all worked out. Bob and I curled up in the recliners in the living room and watched "Recount" (about the 2000 presidential election) until Rick came to get me. His cats took turns going from one lap to the other. 
 One would curl up with me, then go over to Bob and the one who was with Bob would come over to me. 

We dug out two trails for tires in the driveway and that was how Rick got the car up the driveway last night. It was that or let the car down by the road. We'll do a good shoveling on Saturday. Rick was so disgusted this morning that he didn't bother to dig the truck out. He brought me into work and took the Tucson. 

2-4 inches in the forecast for tonight into tomorrow morning (Saturday). After that's done, we'll go out and shovel. 

I'm done. I'm just done.

We are to get above freezing today. But our lows are going down into the minus numbers again over the weekend. Then, according to our weatherweenies, we are due for some 40s and maybe even a 50-degree day by the end of next week. Man, the water is going to be running then! The river is really icy and so are our creeks. Ice jams may be the next thing as it all starts to melt.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Honestly, All I have to say at this point is :censor: Yes, I live in New England. Yes, it snows here and we should expect it. But, enough. Enough of the every few days here comes a significant snowstorm. Enough.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It started snowing again late this afternoon.  We are only supposed to get 2 inches, 6 inches just south of us.  That's on top of everything that's already on the ground.  The stuff that's on the ground has packed and gotten really icy, now there will be a layer of snow over it so can't see the icy spots anymore.  I have had enough of this stuff now.

I know the proper term is climate change, but I could certainly go for a dose of global warming right now.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
There is at least 10" of fresh snow out there this morning. :hmm:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I know. Believe me, I know. And each time it snows, the shoveled part of the driveway gets narrower and narrower. We've about had our fill of shoveling. This two-week period has done everything but send me over the edge.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Only about three inches of snow overnight. Right now, it's kind of like a bit of freezing drizzle. Rick brought me into work this morning and, as he was driving through town, I was looking at the mounds of snow. It's every where. I haven't seen this much snow in years. And poor Rick fell this morning. He was going up the outside basement steps to clean a bit, hit the first step, and went down. He's hurting....his butt and his hand; I think his butt in OK as he seemed to hit right where his wallet is in his pocket. I wanted him to ice it all and perhaps call the doctor, but he was being a male and said it wasn't necessary. 
 I worry about him.

Many years ago (mid-90s), we got a ton of snow. Every day, we got more snow. We had been talking about it to DS's GF on the phone. She wanted to come down for a four-day visit, so she caught the bus (she lived in Manhattan and we're in central PA). Well, about a week or so before she decided to come down, we got hit with a huge thaw and tons of rain. It just poured for days on end. It got rid of most of the snow, but then we had flooding. And then all the water iced over because we went back down into the freezer. She got into town on the bus and DS went in to pick her up. It took them well over an hour to get home (it's normally 10 minutes). We were a little worried about them, but figured maybe he had stopped off at a restaurant for a bite. But he couldn't get into town without going way out through the back way because our main road was flooded and iced over; there was a huge ice jam on the river and it had flooded all the main roads. So then, of course, he had to come home the same way....over the back roads. He said it was really ugly. And his GF never did get to see all the snow in our area that winter.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so glad that all our snow is gone. Those of you who are still dealing with snow, please be careful and take good care of yourself.

kathyfromcanada

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can remember one time when we still lived in Toronto, that I left work at 4:00 and never got home until 10:30 at night!
 Needless to say I wasn't a happy camper. We had to commute to Barrie which is normally a 1 hour drive from Toronto. However both lanes of Highway 400 were closed and we had to use alternate routes as there were numerous pile ups on the highway. Topping that of course with a white out conditions and very high winds! As a typical Canadian, I've never been more happy to see a Tim Horton's in our life! Lol  Bruce's bladder was about to burst and I was starving. 

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly, All I have to say at this point is
Yes, I live in New England. Yes, it snows here and we should expect it. But, enough. Enough of the every few days here comes a significant snowstorm. Enough.
I have to agree with what you're feeling.  I live in Minnesota and it gets cold here...BUT this winter has been exceptionally horrible.  First, we've been putting up with that icky Artic Vortex day after day for months.
  And now, yesterday and today the temps finally got up into the 30s and lower 40s  which is about where they should be this time of the year and the snow is finally melting.
But that's all we get,
  we are supposed to be getting a blizzard Thursday into Friday,  and after that the Artic Vortex thing is coming back.  
  Everyone here is really crabby and super sick of winter.