You're not going to believe this... Lazlo's anemic

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just wrote out a detailed post and forgot to copy it into Word before hitting "submit."
(I keep getting messages about a missing security token. Driving me nuts).

Anyway...

Yes, Lazlo has the same gene pool as Tuxedo. Don't know if he has the same father, but he has the same mother.

Lazlo was throwing up a lot in December. It seemed to be hairball based, but we got blood work (including liver and kidney function) and x-ray done in January (though hairballs don't show up on xray, we could at least make sure it wasn't something else). Vet said everything looked normal. (Chum's vet says that his lymphocytes were slightly elevated. Now they're low).

He started throwing up again. I started the hairball treatment and zantac. But he seemed "off." His appetite was off. And I thought his gums and paw pads looked too white... but I thought - or hoped - it was my imagination.

So we took him to see Chumley's vet.

Long story short (for me), his physical exam found:

He was severely dehydrated (he hadn't eaten much in four days - they get wet food 4x a day, so not surprising);
He hadn't lost weight (only been a few days since his appetite went),
His thyroid felt slightly enlarged.

Obviously I'd told her about Tuxie.

So we did blood work again. It was only 5.5 months ago, but six months is a few years at his age. She included liver, kidney and thyroid. She also tested for FIV (just to make sure), and hemobart and the other buggies. There's nothing in his blood eating his red blood cells.

His hematocrit is 21%. Below 25% is anemic. 21% isn't horrible. We caught this early.

She obviously gave him fluids. She also gave him a shot of convenia (he had gingivitis and bad plaque on his back teeth, which is disturbing, because it didn't get this bad in 5.5 months, and the other vet said his teeth and gums looked great). She also gave him a shot of depo. (Depo, in the end, is what saved Tuxie's life).

He responded quickly. He's been meowing for "dinner" again, drinking water on his own, and seeking out "brushies."

But right now... we're where we were with Tuxie (though the numbers aren't so dire, knock wood). So far, a mystery. She's calling the lab to see if they have enough blood (we'll know tomorrow if we have to bring him back in): she wants to see his B12 and iron levels.

I'm trying not to freak out. I don't want to scare Gary, and everything worked out for Tuxie (knock wood), and we caught this much earlier.

But Lazlo could use some vibes.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Many comin' Lazlo's way! (And of course
for you & Gary)

I'm running into the same thing - many of mine are genetically related, thus I'm seeing the same genetic issues in several rather than just one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
More for your gang too, Nat.

Yup, Spooky and Shel are also part of the same gene pool...

At least Spooky was the only one with problems with her teeth from such a young age, but I guess the anemia (or the gingivitis) shouldn't have come as a surprise. Re: the gingivitis, we just see the vet so frequently, and everyone gets an annual - I was really upset he got the "all clear" on his teeth just this January, and clearly there was a problem already by then. I HATE it when you trust a vet and find out you shouldn't have! Really shakes the faith.

The only reason we took Laz to see Chum's vet was because she did such a great job with Chum - it just seems that where Western medicine doesn't manage the problem, Chinese medicine can help, and his regular vet had run out of ideas for what to try re: the vomiting. (This isn't the "great" vet we refer to as "Tuxedo's vet" though). I know - a lot of vets LOL. But I guess this is a good illustration as to why! I wonder if we'll start taking them for "annuals" every six months, and just alternate vets LOL. (Not a bad idea, actually).

And even though I suspected this... I guess I wasn't prepared for the news.

calvin&i

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Lots of vibes for Lazlo and you, laurie. Your crew is so luck to have you and Gary to take care of them.

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry that Lazlo has been doing poorly. Sounds like he is on the mend now, thanks to your loving care.

Lots and lots of going out to all of you.

Robin

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

He responded quickly. He's been meowing for "dinner" again, drinking water on his own, and seeking out "brushies."
I'm sorry Lazlo been sick
I'm glad he's beginning to feel better again.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks all.

The problem is it'll be temporary. We have no idea how long the depo will work. We may never know the cause of the anemia (we don't with Tuxie)... and it just always leaves that linger of worry. It was a real roller coaster with Tuxie, and hopefully it won't be that bad with Laz as we caught it earlier.

And it was bad enough worrying about Chumley's FIV with one immuno-compromised kitty in the house... *sigh* But it is what it is. At least Chumley's grooming buddy doesn't come from that gene pool. Well - we don't think he does. But he could, I guess. He was rescued from the RV park. I have to stop driving myself nuts!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When it rains, it pours "sick kitties" all around
>>>>>> I am sorry to hear this news about Lazlo BUT I think you were quick to get to the bottom of this and as you said, you are catching this sooner than you did with Tuxie. So that is GOOD news. Just hang in there, right? What else can you do - One day at a time.........TONS TONS TONS of vibes to you, Gary and Lazlo tonight

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
and for you and Lazlo.
I think even if you expect the news, we're never really ready to hear that one of our guys may be sick.

At least you did catch this early on, so hopefully it'll be under control in no time. I know it's hard not to worry about what could be floating around in their genes, especially in your case where a number of them are related, but it really is what it is. Just because it might be there doesn't mean it will ever be active, and you could look at it as a precaution - something you know to look out for in the others as they grow up.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've had at least 2 vets tell me that it can take a series of Depo shots (3) to knock out chronic inflamation. You may be bringing him in for follow up shots for a while.

Sending major vibes to Lazlo!

And
to you and Gary.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yup, for Tuxie it is lifelong. It's down to about every year now. But it was years to get to this point. His problem is his immune system sees his red blood cells as a virus and attacks them. The depo suppresses his immune system to stop (or slow) that process.

We'll just see what happens with Laz.

lovewhiskers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh Laurie
Lazlo and Tuxie have approx. the same age right? I am thinking this might mean that Lazlo has been compensating really well all these years for the defficiency or has a less serious defficiency. The other two fantastic positives are that you are armed now with loads of knowledge about this disorder, and you have a great WM vet and a EM vet. You did not have this when you began dealing with Tuxie's illness.

How is he doing today? We are sending loving thoughts your way

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Laz is OK.
Not running around or playing or anything, but definitely eating, and "bouncing" up to his top spot up in the cabinet above the cat trees for his meal.
Technically the depo is a 2-week thing. But his eyes look better, and he's still drinking water and eating closer to a normal amount of food.

And Marina, you are SO right! At least we're armed with information and experience. I can't help wondering if the switch to all wet is what caused him enough stress to weaken his immune system enough to bring this on.... (we switched in November, and December he started having problems). ...but he now gets "kibble" snacks whenever he asks for them in addition to his four main meals, so hopefully he's not stressing about food.

I was waiting to hear back from his vet as to whether or not we needed to bring him in for another blood draw to get his B12 and iron levels checked - but she called Friday late, and yesterday was Saturday LOL, so I won't know until Monday.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
And Marina, I forgot to answer your question about the age. Lazlo, Sheldon, Spooky, and Tuxedo are litter mates born late April 2002, and that's the order in which we brought them inside full time. They solidified our... cat rescue "career." (A stray, Booger, officially launched it LOL).

Laz came inside full time on July 6 (2002); Shelly on July 15, Spooky Dec 28 (after a failed adoption), and Tuxie April 22, 2003.

There was a 5th, but he was adopted out to one of the vet techs. I asked - and he's still doing great. But she also knows to be on the alert now.

lovewhiskers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so glad to hear Laz is doing OK Yes, I totally understand your theory about the stress and the food, we know what stress does to kitties. It could also be just him getting up there in age. Did you hear back from the vet?

I also saw your thread about baby girl Spook. SIGH
. Gosh, I really hope she is just a bit under the weather...

A very big hug to you and Gary and tons of love for all your kids