Your Latest Irritation

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I thought about this one earlier today. I squeeze the toothpaste from the bottom. My husband squeezes from the middle. For a long time, it irritated me every time I brushed my teeth. I always thought I had to fix it. We finally got past this "irritation" when I decided to use a different kind of toothpaste. Now I have my tube and he has his. So, maybe there is sometimes a way to overcome some of the things that irritate us. Did you solve a similar issued?
We did exactly the same thing with toothpaste as well as shampoo and shower gel. He leaves the caps off, so he has his bottles, and I have mine.

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My latest irritation is trying to open the pickle jar and it is just about glued on! :lol: For some reason, this has always sent shock waves of anger:bawling: through me, I don't know why and I hardly ever get mad! My mother would tap a knife along the rim and this has been my coping strategy :lol: all these years. All being said, I would rather have super-sealed food than food exposed to the elements!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My latest irritation is trying to open the pickle jar and it is just about glued on! :lol: For some reason, this has always sent shock waves of anger:bawling: through me, I don't know why and I hardly ever get mad! My mother would tap a knife along the rim and this has been my coping strategy :lol: all these years. All being said, I would rather have super-sealed food than food exposed to the elements!
We have something like this, but not exact:
Slide the pointy thing under the lip of the jar, give it a little lift until you hear the air escape and the jar lid opens with ease!
I've used a knife in a pinch, and one time I used pliers. I don't recommend pliers :biggrin:
Another trick that sometimes helps is running the jar lid/jar under super hot water, dry with a towel immediately. This USUALLY allows an easier-to-open lid.
If the butterknife fails, I hope this helps! :D

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't stand the sound of people chewing or popping gum and I can't stand to watch them chew gum.
It's weird because some people chewing doesn't bug me but others do, usually it's only if they prefer to chew loudly with their mouth open. It's just...so unnecessary.
What's even weirder is the sound of dogs (or cats, even) noisily eating, chewing, licking, etc., doesn't bug me.
What DOES bug me is one of my beloved cats loves to sleep on our bed, which is super great, until he decides to take a rather noisy bath at 1:30AM. During the day he isn't loud but between the hours of 11PM and 6AM it's like his tongue is made of sand paper, LOL!

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a friend who doesn't chew food with his mouth closed. I have something with this, my mom was very very strict raising me about this (well, and everything else :D ) and now I really can't stand seeing people eating without cllsing their mouths well, or making noise while drinking. The sound of chewing itself, even if I am not seeing the motuh open, makes me feel really unnerved.
So yeah, last afternoon I had a tea with him in a caffee and he was eating chips with his mouth wide open... I had a very hard time, and a nausea feeling until he finished :S

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a friend who doesn't chew food with his mouth closed. I have something with this, my mom was very very strict raising me about this (well, and everything else :D ) and now I really can't stand seeing people eating without cllsing their mouths well, or making noise while drinking. The sound of chewing itself, even if I am not seeing the motuh open, makes me feel really unnerved.
So yeah, last afternoon I had a tea with him in a caffee and he was eating chips with his mouth wide open... I had a very hard time, and a nausea feeling until he finished :S
Same here! It's not a slam at anyone personally of course, but it's unnerving.
A few times I've eaten food and made a loud smack sound and was grossed out by myself.
I guess this is really a "thing". Everything is a "Thing" nowadays! xD
What Is Misophonia?

I'm a quiet person and love my quiet. Due to our way of making a living, this isn't always possible with guests in and out and staying in the same building as us but I do love that quiet when it happens.

As if I don't already sound like a certifiable nutcase, dogs barking for no reason is an annoyance but dogs barking for a legitimate reason is not. Hounds baying in the woods or herding dogs using their voice to assist rounding up a flock sends me into a transfixed state of relaxation...an urban neighbor with a frustrated dog living life on a 4 foot chain is not. Their barking seems to have frustration, boredom and desperation attached to it; maybe that's why I dislike that type of barking. I'm glad we're rural. :/
Our summers are very short but I once heard some coon dogs baying late at night (1:00AM or so), and opened our window and we fell asleep to the sound. It was very relaxing for an odd reason. Another time, livestock guardian dogs were out with their flock and sense a potential predator, they alerted that predator with deep, commanding barks. It was soothing, almost made me feel protected, too.
(With cats, the sound of a distressed cat [in the bath, scared at the vets, the strained "NO" type of call, etc.] makes me cringe with some weird instinctual "this isn't right" feeling. We were able to catch a rather intelligent, elusive feral 12-16 week old kitten once, and his screams and cries [and terrified urinating] once caught made me cry. I don't cry a lot. But that sound of pure terror was like scraping sand paper covered nails on a chalkboard. I wanted to let him go to stop the crying. It rips on your soul, but after he was calmed, handled, and adopted out he was a marvelous companion [and extremely handsome] for a long, happy life with an owner that adored him.)

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Same here! It's not a slam at anyone personally of course, but it's unnerving.
A few times I've eaten food and made a loud smack sound and was grossed out by myself.
I guess this is really a "thing". Everything is a "Thing" nowadays! xD
What Is Misophonia?
Oh, yeah, that's me. Totally feeling anger when adults chew with mouth open, and totally trying to educate children to do things well :D I haven't feel the need of killing anyone yet, so I guess I am not that bad ;)

Small dogs barking do really stress me, there is something in their pitch that feels so wrong. And, at least in Spain, small dogs are sl spoiled that they are barking with anxiety all the time. I am rural too, so I don't usually have to hear dogs smaller than a German Sheppherd.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, yeah, that's me. Totally feeling anger when adults chew with mouth open, and totally trying to educate children to do things well :D I haven't feel the need of killing anyone yet, so I guess I am not that bad ;)

Small dogs barking do really stress me, there is something in their pitch that feels so wrong. And, at least in Spain, small dogs are sl spoiled that they are barking with anxiety all the time. I am rural too, so I don't usually have to hear dogs smaller than a German Sheppherd.
It seems in the US that a lot of dogs are spoilt no matter their size :(

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It seems in the US that a lot of dogs are spoilt no matter their size :(
Oh, here too, but at least with medium and big dogs people feel "oblied" to teach them the basic commands and will not let them jump over other people. With small dogs, it is usually "do whatever you want".

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This talk about dogs reminds me how bad prissy little dogs get on my nerves. I don't like going to somebody's house when I am dressed up with church clothes, shoes, stockings, etc. and their prissy little dog is glad to see me. He is so glad to see me that he jumps on my legs, ruins my stockings and the owners think it is cute. Worse than that is when I sit on their sofa and the dog wants in my lap, on my dress, blah, blah, blah. I don't subject people to that with my cat and I think it is rude. However, I do realize it is not the dog's fault, but the owners.