Young cat just went into labor help please

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mommyofsimba

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've just read through this thread and could really feel your "first time kitty mama" jitters when Simba went into labour and the babies were born.  I too would have been exactly like you, questioning everything and worrying myself sick. 

So glad all the babies thrived and are ready to go to their fur-ever homes.  Though I see letting them go isn't as easy as it sounds.

You've done a great job though, and I'm sure their new families are excited about welcoming them into their homes.

Are you keeping any kittens?  Or will Simba be an only cat?

Hi thank you from bottom of my heart for writing. I was so scared I didn't sleep first 3 weeks even more then 3 weeks but beginning was the hardest when they were born. I thought I was going crazy that's how nervous I was. I didn't want to lose any kitten, I made sure if they didn't find the nipple I found it for them and latched them on. I weighed them daily. I love them so much. If I had a big house I'd keep them all. I wish I could keep one. I do have a senior cat Missy who has been separated living with my mom and a dog named Oscar also lives with my mom because The kittens safety were my first priority. But I see them everyday. I told each person if anything happens a week or month a years or years from now and gosh for bid they had to give up the kitten/cat no questions asked I would take them back. No shelters. I strongly believe In forever homes. Right after my dog Soprano had passed away is been a lil over a year he was with me from 8 weeks old to 13 years passed from cancer here came this kitten Simba living on he street dumped. The day she was supposed to get spayed my dad had to be rushed to hospital for heart surgery. She escaped thru an air conditioner. I also feed ferals they all were spayed but recently people have dumped new ones and after I get Simba spayed I will join a trap and release group and get the 1 who I think is simbas kittens dad fixed. There is also a young cat who is blind in one eye and I want to take her in because our winters are so brutal and she is super sweet. If they will come in ill keep them all during winter because I couldn't bear the thought of a cat outside. Any animal it breaks my heart. This has been the most terrifying but beautiful experience in my life. I would do it again and this has made me want to join a rescue group and help and when I get my own bigger place foster as well. I always loved animals but not till the kittens it has made me love even more didn't think that was possible. Thank you for reading my story and commenting. The hardest part is saying goodbye now. I want Simba to be okay so after Monday the 2nd kitten goes and then I will have a break longer. Friday the lil grey had gone. I been blessed for such patient and loving adopters. :rbheart:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It sounds like you have a big heart when it comes to animals.  Simba was lucky that she found you. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Would you consider keeping the little black kitten who cries?

I'm concerned about this needy kitten being alone so much with the single, working girl in the apartment.

Last edited:

mommyofsimba

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you have a big heart when it comes to animals.  Simba was lucky that she found you.  :)

Thank you so much. I'm lucky to have her in my life. I know she is not that affectionate and rough but there's nothing I wouldn't so for her or any animal. Today orange 1 left the biggeat kitten it was hard but thehusband and wife are amazing and even invited me in future to come visit. So far the 2 kittens that left they have given me pictures and updates.

mommyofsimba

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Would you consider keeping the little black kitten who cries?

I'm concerned about this needy kitten being alone so much with the single, working girl in the apartment.
Hi yes I agree I am so attached to the black I noticed simba didn't give the same affection to lil grey and black because they are both girls bUT more to the 3 orange boys that look like her. She plays with black and licks her but I see the bond more with the boys. If I don't feel comfortable with this girl I will not at all adopt black out whose name is mittens. She answers to mittens. I will keep her. I woke up yesterday and she was holding my finger. My heart melted. Today I turned over in bed and she was next to my pillow sleeping. Thw last 2 orange also sleep on my bed. I love them so much. Today orange 1 left. They got home took pics of her bed and eating and litter box. I sent a care package with toys and food also but they had gotten everything. Great husband and wife. Now I spoke to the girl who wants to adopt black. She said she will have days off. She is coming over to give me a scent of hers and the black cat of hers. She is not taking the black kitten tomorrow jist coming to see and meet. Mittens is a crier and so loving. This is my best friends friend so I could see the kitten as much as I want. But I am going to see her tomorrow the girl. She says her cats are forever. She is sweet but I have to do what's best for mittens. I love her so much. I also have to contact the family taking the 2 orange. And build a relationship with them. I'm in no rush because the kittens are happy and healthy. And I want to meet the adopters before. Today was sad but happy he is going to a great family. They named him cheech :-) and lil grey name is phenoix. Thank you for your concern I am also. I will see how my meeting her will go. Hopefully simba will be okay tonight she got nervous when the orange left today. But when I came back she was sleeping and so were all the kittens. The family of cheech said wow you can tell how much love and how great he was taken care of. He weighs 54 ounces. He was the biggest one born remember. ♡. Ps are some kittens more vocal because none of the other 4 never cried. But black always has cried but I feel sometimes it's for attention or shes trying to communicate with me. You look at her and she opens her mouth andit's like a hello comes out. Simba still nursed today she calls them with her thrill sound. I noticed black for last few weeks wasn't nursing when they were but nursed here and there. But she was weaning so maybe that's why. Also she's very smart she was first to litter box in a day. All of them are wonderful :-)

mommyofsimba

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi I just want to update on whats going on. Good news the families for the 2 kittens who left little grey and orange 1 are doing great. The 3 left are the double adoption and the black kitten. It's been a full week I spaced it out slowly. Simba is doing good. She seems more tired. She plays alot with them during the day but they also sleep a lot or she sleeps when they are playing. She is eating but I see a decrease in her appetitie. She might be sick of kitten soft food. I tried to give her a fancy feast adult soft food but then the kittens run to eat it. They eat everything :). She is eating hard kitten chow and hard adult and her treats. The kittens like eating more the hard food then soft. I give both flavors fancy feast is limited for kittens . And they have 3 hard food options lined up. I met with the black kitten adopter she came over she is sweet and I feel she is the perfect fit. Her other cat was rescued from a kill shelter she went purposely there to save a life. And she didn't take the kitten home that night I want the black kitten to stay and bond more because she is a needy lil girl and crys. . The double orange adoption will be leaving one day shy of 12 weeks this Thursday. And the black will hang around the girl Said she would come back and we made friends which is nice I can visit whenever I want. The black kitten Is needy and crier. But happy to play and eat and sleep. She's precious but very needy this girl actually doesn't work that many days. And she brought over the scent exchange. The 2 orange going together the family is nice I am not as close to them as then 3 others. Since she is taking 2 I made a bigger care package. The family taking 2 had 2 that lasted 19 and 20 year siblings and had them as kittens so we spoke and I feel confident. Simba has been okay. I am a little worried now that the 2 are leaving together this week. I want Simba to be okay emotionally. She is still nursing even though it's quick but she lets them. Hopefully her milk will start to dry up. And then she will be fixed. We are still walking on lease and Simba is a great mommy. She has been handling the 2 that have left this far but I am worried about 2 leaving then the black will be just here. She is closer to the boys. Is there anything I can do to make her less depressed or less anxiety with the 2 leaving. I know she has been good this far but I am concerned. Thank you for your advice in advance. :rbheart:

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds as though things are going well. I do not know any tricks to help Simba when her babies leave. Mom cats do tend to have favorites, and she will miss them for a few days. Keeping the black kitten longer will help both the kitten and Simba. I thought you were contemplating keeping that kitten for good? But Simba will get over it, her milk will dry up, and it will be a relief when she is spayed.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I also feel that things have gone very well, a smooth transition, and you have done a wonderful job at keeping Simba's feelings first.

You know, what I have always found is that by the time the kittens are ready to leave, the moms are actually just fine with this, it's when they are taken away before they are ready, which means mom isn't ready either instinctively, that you will tend to see more reaction from her, so honestly I believe things will be fine this week too. 

As far as her decreased appetite, all due to not having to produce milk to support all of her litter, which burns a ton of calories from nursing, so requires more intake.

She doesn't sound unhappy or depressed at all, and I seriously doubt you will see this from her.

mommyofsimba

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 catwoman707 catwoman707 hello and thank you so much to both of you. I can't believe 12 weeks this Friday. Couldn't have done it without the both of you. :-). I was going to keep any that weren't adopted and I was thinking about the black. She is going to spend an extra week. The girl who is taking her I've developed a close relationship. If it doesn't work just like all the kittens I will welcome back with open arms. She met the black kitten who she named mittens and she answers to her name so sweet. Simba doesn't give her the attention like the 2 leaving Thursday. Those are her favorites. I have spaced out the first 2 kittens that left enough time in between. The priority has always been Simba and the kittens. Thank you for saying I did a good job. I'm a little nervous about the 2 going in one day because she is closest but I will report here how it goes. I am glad that is the case I noticed with Simba decreased appetite and sleeping more. I didn't know if that was depression or because the milk is stopping. Thanks for clarifying. She nursed today quick they are so big on her now. But she's doing a great job. They all love the treats. I did notice the kittens are not really into the soft food and Simba is really over it having the kitten soft throughout her pregnancy and nursing so I gave Simba a regular fancy feast cans and the kittens ate it all up with her. Hope that's okay. They always have hard and even soft food always available. The family taking the 2 kittens she's nice but haven't been able to really develop a relationship with her so I hope she gives me updates. I'm glad they will grow up together. Thank you so much for everything. I can't wait for Simba to be fixed after her milk dries up. We we still doing the walk on a leash everyday. I'm going to miss the kittens so much. :heart3: :kitty3:

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It has been my pleasure to help. I've very much enjoyed keeping up with Simba and her babies. I look forward to hearing your next report on Thursday. I'm delighted that the re-homing process is going smoothly, and I know you will miss the kittens. Just ask the person taking the two on Thursday if she minds you calling to check in, and if she'll send a picture as they grow.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You're so welcome, it has been such a pleasure following and advising you, it's wonderful to help people who want help, and are doing their part, as you have done such a fantastic job through all of this adventure :)

Simba is a very lucky girl, a cat couldn't ask for a better more devoted and loving mom!  

mommyofsimba

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 catwoman707 catwoman707 hello thank you both for the sweet messages. Its been such a jounrney thankful to have you both. It's been a little rough since the brothers left. The 2 orange left Thursday. It was bitter sweet to see them go. We are all definitely feeling their presence gone. I been getting updates and orange #3 the smaller one is doing better then orange #2. I'm glad they are together. The family has 2 boys 8 and 10 years old so nice and good boys they came to pick the kittens up with mom and said it was the best day in their life. The kittens sleep with them in the bed already so I am happy but the smaller orange has adjusted more then the orange with white paws.

Now for simba and the black kitten. Simba at first seemed mad but I took her on a walk outside on lease. She hasnt cried or looked for them. She refused treats when they left but a few hours later she ate. Shes been sleeping alot. I dont know if shes tired or depressed. I been playing with simba also shes not one to play but likes playing with a ribbon. The black kitten who crys in previous posts she's very vocal and very smart she has been a wreck. Simba on Thursday let all 3 nurse and since the 2 boys have left her favorites she will not let the black kitten nurse. She does play with the kitten and hugs and kisses licks the kitten. So I thought maybe the shock of being only kitten left. She wakes up from naps or in middle of night and crys the black. She is eating playing and sleeping and using bathroom good. I don't know why she is crying so much. It's making simba nervous and breaking my heart. As soon as I play with her she stops or give her treats. She has her hard food 2 bowls of different ones and water and even soft food I change every few hours. I notice she is liking the fancy feast adult more I've given it to simba for a few days because she doesn't want the kitten food. Simba is trying her best and so am i. The girl has been waiting for 11 weeks because she said she would adopt her when she was 1 week old. The black kitten is 12 weeks. Good part it's my best friends friend and I can visit. I even offered to even pet sit. Black kitten def needs another cat which the girl has. A very gentle loving rescued cat. I'm hoping that she will b ok. She wanted me to drop off today but it's too soon so I told her Thursday evening.

Can you please offer advice because the black kitten is crying alot. If she's crying with nonstop attention from.simba and I I'm worried when she goes to her forever home. The good thing is the girls mom doesn't live with her but rescues and fosters and she comes from a family who loves animals so her mom can give her advice. I'm sending the black kitten with 3 big toys the orange scratcher with ball, scratching post, the cheese play petsrages toy and food and bowls and small toys. And her blanket. And I told her if it doesn't work out I'll take kitten back but she's been waiting 11 weeks for the black kitten. I been lucky with people waiting long to get the kittens.

Okay please let me know about black kitten. I am so worried. I didn't think she would react this bad when simba is still with her. Thank you ♡

mommyofsimba

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think your black kitten is missing her brothers. She may feel insecure with all the kittens gone but her.

I don't know that there is much you can do for her but continue to love her since you say that she is eating well and using the litter box.

I'm still concerned about her being alone all day at the working girl's apartment. Kittens really need company.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have to agree, this is why I really try to encourage people to adopt kittens in pairs, they really love and need the companionship, some even more than others, which I think is the case with this little one.

Plus her being a more vocal girl really amplifies this.

Simba is likely done with it all, she did the mom thing and cared for them well, but at some point they do feel ready to stop mothering, and it becomes more of a friendship type relationship.

If this kitten is going to be alone all day long, she will def. get lonely.

Is there any chance this person would be willing to find a 2nd kitten the same age?

mommyofsimba

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi thank you for quick reply. Thw girl doesn't work alot I found out because I would never give her a kitten. 2 people wanted a kitten and I said no because of their work schedule. She is off this Friday Sunday and Monday and Saturday works a few hours. I am going over thursday evening. She has a sweet black kitten she rescued from the worst kill shelter in new york. She has a cat and I did scent exchange the black kitten sniffs it and does not cry. I agree double adoption are the way to go. Even with the double adoption of the brothers the middle orange had a hard time adjusting even with his brother. The big orange and lil grey are doing great. They left at 10 weeks and a few days after 10 weeks. They have other cats lil grey 3 others that because of scent exchange and a big family is doing great they say she runs the house :). The big orange is best friends with his new brother who is a puppy The black kitten will have the other black cat. I am giving her every thing I can think of to help. Simba hugs and licks her she did a great job. I did notice though her favorites were the boys who looked like her. I think black kitten is very smart she learned her name and answers to it the girl named her Mittens so I called her that and she learned litterbox first kitten in one day. I say hello and she meows hello. The girl is a sweetheart but the priority is the kitten so if there is an issue I will take the kitten back. I wish I could of kept her but I promised her 11 weeks ago. Shes been waiting patiently. Mittens will be leaving 1 day short of 13 weeks old. I hope this extra time will help her. I know she misses her brothers because she did sleep with them sometimes but then slept alone. And simba plays with her more then I ever saw her. I will also be bringing her and if my gut sees mittens very upset I will bring her back. The girl has also prepared for mittens with getting what i asked. And I have a luggage full of stuff for her to bring with her. This one really breaks my heart. I been so upset about this. Sarthur2 Sarthur2 catwoman707 catwoman707

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You are under no obligation to give this kitten away if you prefer to keep her. If it is upsetting you terribly, all you have to do is let the girl know. I'm sure she would understand. It sounds like the girl could easily acquire another kitten instead of yours. You said the girl's mom does rescue and fostering, so there are probably plenty of kittens available.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Again I agree, the bottom line is, do not do anything that you will have regrets about.

If it feels okay in your gut, that you know you will miss her and she is special to you, that's one thing.

But if it doesn't settle right, for instance if she was found that she works all the time, then you can change your mind and it is what it is, but all in all I think things seem pretty good, she has done what you wanted her to in preparing for the kitten, etc. so I'm sure it will be fine.

Sometimes the anticipation is much worse then the act :)

Last edited:

mommyofsimba

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi thank you so much to both of you. Sorry for late response I again was very sick. I'm better now. Meant to write this last week. Last Thursday Mittens went to her forever home. I extended her time for extra week and its so important to share that to my surprise a real miracle happened. I al still in shock how everything tirned out. She actually didn't cry when I brought her in carrier I put inside the huge carrier her blanket and some toys. At the girls home she was fine. I stayed for 2 hours and she was exploring. The girl said she played a little and ate a little and sent me pic of black kitten sleeping. I sent with the kitten every single toy possible bed food bowls you name it. I know this girl will do amazing with Mittens. The other cat is very sweet but just looked and didn't really go near mittens first day. Now they are best of friends! A true miracle. I set up mittens play area food are and litter area. The girl spent 4 days off from work and since she has gone to work she has kept me posted. And her days arwnt long. Mittens and the 4 year old cat smitten are perfect. I did everything gentle. Every transition for each of the kittens and Simba. My priority is Simba now. The kittens are all safe healthy and happy. Everyone has given me updates. Its been very quiet and i cant lie i cried because raising them for 3 months i became so attached. Im glad i waited to give them to their forever homes extra time. Simba hasbeen sleeping seemed a little sad in begining bUT never cried as to loil for them. She has been waking me up to play and I played with her. She lovess if i throw her soft ball she brings it back to me. Like playing catch. I bought her some more toys and a new cat tree. She hasnt used cat tree. I know it has said to get rid of all the scents of kittens but they sometimes slept behind my bed on the long curtains and one of their beds she sleeps on and she always slept on hard floor. She will get fixed now right after thanksgiving and she does have her love interest the cat who is the father and I would love to have him be part of our family. He does need to get fixed also. This has been the most scariest and amazing experience. I didn't think I could do it. Thank you again from the bottom of my heart. I will post some update pics of the kittens.

Also simba has decreased her food intake drastically. She is eating her treats and hard kitten food she doesn't want her hard adult food that is in a bowl next to it she is drinking water. She doesn't want soft kitten or soft adult food ive tried different flavors maybe she will eat 1 bite if that. I gave her fresh roasted chicken she didn't eat it at all I chopped it up. But like I said she is eating hard kitten food and treats. She is now over a year. About 16 or 17 months old. Should she still be eating the kitten hard food. Could this be depression? We are still going out for walks and play. My concern is when she is fixed the night before taking the food away how do I know when too. Because they say after midnight usually but that is for a morning appt she has a later in afternoon appt. How many hours does a cat really need minimum to fast before surgery? Can I leave the water down. I really feel bad her not eating all night. I know it will affect her. She has anxiety and I don't want to dramatize her more then she is. Also to get her in her carrier which is huge she really puts up a fight I tried everything so I am worried when day of surgery if I can get her in. I've tried leaving it open for a few days in the room and putting her toys or treats or blanket in it but she won't go. It has a top opening and the regular opening is one easier then the other? I don't mind getting scratched on arms a little but don't want my eyes to get scratched out. ONE of the vets I called to make appt told me to give her benedrayl? Is that even ok a small Cat taking benedryl. That was his answer for my question of her being nervous to go inside the carrier. I really don't feel comfortable with that. Is there an alternative action with calming simba down please? Sarthur2 Sarthur2 catwoman707 catwoman707

mommyofsimba

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Simba sleeping ♡

Mittens updates from forever home truly a miracle how she is doing. I also will be visiting in a few weeks because the girl is friends with my best friend and we became friends. :-). I became friends with the others also.

Mittens sleeping

Mittens and her new big sister smitten

Luggage sent with mittens that I believed helped her transition
The day mittens left. Drinking from an extra water bowl I have placed around my home ♡

Last edited by a moderator: