Young cat just went into labor help please

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mommyofsimba

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When treating for fleas you will treat them all.

You have been such a loving guardian for Simba and her babies and I applaud and thank you for that. [emoji]128149[/emoji] :clap:

I am happy that you are keeping the kittens together with mom for longer, they will be so much better pets for it. I have faith that the last two will find lovely homes as the others that are spoken for. :)

Re: Simba vomitting today...
Did you see any hair in it?

Have you changed food?

I know how upsetting it can be to try and get our kitties into their carriers. I like to leave the carriers out with a bed or bedding in them. My cats love sleeping in them so when I have to take them to the vet if I'm lucky I just have to toss a treat in and close the door. (Doesn't always happen because they are smart and I'm probably more anxious and they pick up on that.) :D

Love the updates and think you're doing a fantastic job! :hugs:

Hi thank you so much for your kind words and support. This has definitely been an experience for me. I didn't know anything but with the help of this site and the people like you I been able to have did my best. Ps you said trey all the kittens but do I have to retreat Simba as well because she never was scratching and has a full dose of advantage put on her. But I do walk her 2 to 3 times outside in backyard. It's only been over a week since they were all treated I wouldn't want to overdose her on flea medicine.

The only new food would be Simba has been eating the kitten chow a lot. They eat the same soft kitten food Simba nd the kittens and I add extra because even though I put it on her side she goes and eats theirs. They have half a room with lots of space nsa toys and I hope the new owners at least the 3 I have I know will be good to them and I will def send them off with the toys they love so much.

There was no hair in vomit and she hasn't vomited again the next day soft stool but back to normal. I am taking Simba in the week coming up before she gets fixed for a check up.

She is going to bathroom in their litter box and she doesn't fit so I bought a bigger one but it might be to big so I have 2 small ones.

The carrier I purchased it and had it out a month with a blanket inside and would put treats in it. I don't know since she was dumped at my house whether she had bad experience with cages or carriers. The day came to get her in carrier and well it didn't go so we'll she scratched me badly and I was bleeding. The whole drive there end back she cried and even while t the office where she scratched the vets face and cut his nose and made him bleed. Shes pretty tough and rough. I love her so much. I am really dreading how to get her in carrier because she does fight and will scratch and bite.

I am really worried about how she will do with departing because they will be going at different times. They are 7 weeks today Friday :rbheart:time flies and still nursing but very decreased. They are slowly weaning and eating soft and hrs food and water. To be honest I am worried how sad I will be because we all live in a studio apartment and are so close. I been with them nonstop.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
When are you planning to begin giving the kittens away?

It can be really hard to part with kittens! Knowing the people taking them helps a lot.

I don't think Simba needs a checkup before getting spayed. If she is that difficult to put in the carrier, it's best to just do it once to get her to the vet's to be spayed. They will check her over that day.

If you think Simba does not need Advantage then do not put it on her.

mommyofsimba

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They are so cute! [emoji]128149[/emoji]

Yes, you will need to dose each kitten again and Simba too, or the fleas will just go from cat to cat.

You can let them move around the full room if you'd like.

I don't blame you for not wanting to give the kittens to the rescue group so young when they have a mom plus each other. It will all work out.

Thank you so much. Okay yes i will dose all of them again was worried to soon. No scratching recently past few days have to get to store to buy more. Someone recommended to buy the large dog and get syringe and measure it out to save money. I had gotten before for large cat advantage.

They have plenty of room with new toys. They been enjoying full room for part of day but it's not really kitten proof I'm trying too. I'm making sure the 3 that have homes will have their happy toys. I'm going to make care package. For the rescue north shore animal league I asked if they would be caged and the man said yes I don't believe in that so hoping for double adoption. I went to petco for the kittens and they have adoption there and there was a 3 yr old cat that was adopted from petco 3 years prior and now returned because woman was moving. My worst fear. People just don't care and it breaks my heart. The homes where they are going I want to keep In contact and I told the 3 people if for any reason something happens you do not take them to a shelter I will take them back.

Because they are getting bigger and I play a lot and kiss them and hug them so much my asthma has come back very badly. The doctor said it is from the kittens and cats. I'm on inhaler and a steroid for my lungs. I also have an air purifier that does pet dander. This happened years ago when I took in a senior cat and she slept on my chest I ended up in hospital. But I built up an immune and refused to ever give away any animal I have rescued. Simba doesn't sleep with me. She has a bed and towel and since little will sleep on floor wood or tile. She loves the hardness. She did live in a tree before I was able to get her down and feed her so maybe that's why.

I really want all these kittens to have forever homes. I'm praying last 2 can go In a pair.

I'm making appointment for Simba for pre spay appointment. So far so good.

Because of her anxiety I am very worried when 1 kitten at a time will go is there a certain way. It breaks my heart to be honest. She's even during her lease walk in backyard comes inside to see them and she watches them although she doesn't sleep with them or play she does nurse and wash and lick them. They have their hard food and water and I give soft food 2 to 3 times a day but they nibble they don't really eat a lot at all. I'm going to weigh them tomorrow on their 7 week bday and I'll post weights. I took a little break from weighing.

Thanks always for the support :rbheart:

mommyofsimba

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When are you planning to begin giving the kittens away?

It can be really hard to part with kittens! Knowing the people taking them helps a lot.

I don't think Simba needs a checkup before getting spayed. If she is that difficult to put in the carrier, it's best to just do it once to get her to the vet's to be spayed. They will check her over that day.

If you think Simba does not need Advantage then do not put it on her.

I I just wrote you. Since they were less then a week old the 3 people have been waiting so I had said 8 weeks but I might ask for longer for them. I want to spay her at 8 weeks and then give her another week. I am so worried how Simba will take the kittens going it's breaking my heart thinking about it. 2 do not have homes and will be staying much longer. I am in no rush and these people have really been so wonderful and I've developed friendships with them. I seriously wish they would take double kittens but they already have. I will be delivering them to the house because I don't want them caged and want to make sure everything is okay. I'm taking it very seriously.

I agree about the check up before spay but When I called they said Simba needs blood work before getting spay. Maybe a way to make money from me. This is a new vet. Simba recieved shots and rabies and blood work for feline aids which was negative but it was a terrifying experience and she needs a female vet. She scratched the male vet made him bleed it was so nerve racking. I called today and left messages. I will call some more places. I need a place close and that is good because theirs been some sad stories of vets around me. Also for the stitches it will be hard again you are right to get her inside the carrier so maybe dissolving stitches that they do for real ferals. I consider her half a feral if that makes sense.

As for when the kittens are ready to leave how many days apart can they go.? And her being spayed I hope will calm her down because I know she's going to take this hard as will I. I wish I had a real apartment or house. If my situation was different I'd keep them all.
The 3 are going to homes with real animal lovers but lil grey is going to a family big house with 3 cats. So I know that's going to take a little bit for lil grey to adjust so I'm making sure to give him all the toys bowls bedding even the shoebox they love so much. I also am worried about the other cats eating the food of the kitten. The big orange is going to a big house to an amazing woman that is older with her husband her last dog and cat has passed away from old age she just adopted a puppy and made sure it's a breed I forget the breed but it is supposed to get along best with kittens and they are both cream colored. She already bought the cases of food bed and toy scratcher so that's wonderful. And black my love crys to be picked up and held I walk around with her she's so loving she going to a home with 1 3 yr old female cat who is very lovable and to a girl who loves animals and I told all people of there's a problem you give me back the kitten you don't take to shelter. I play with them nonstop this is gonna be a tear jerker for me when time comes. But more for Simba.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hmmm. You can have Simba's vet records transferred from the original vet to a new one. A blood test is not necessary at all before a spay. I would decline that.

The kittens need to stay with Simba until they are 12 weeks old.

I think your little gray kitten may have a hard time with 3 other adult cats. He may need to be re-homed with a sibling.

As long as her kittens do not all go at once, Simba will adjust. She needs to see you take the kittens though.

mommyofsimba

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmmm. You can have Simba's vet records transferred from the original vet to a new one. A blood test is not necessary at all before a spay. I would decline that.

The kittens need to stay with Simba until they are 12 weeks old.

I think your little gray kitten may have a hard time with 3 other adult cats. He may need to be re-homed with a sibling.

As long as her kittens do not all go at once, Simba will adjust. She needs to see you take the kittens though.

Hi yes called another vet said no problem I am looking in to take her in end of next week when they closer to 8 weeks. Today they are 7 weeks :-). Then I can tell the 3 who have homes that Simba needs to be with her kittens and she is still nursing I will not just take a kitten while in process of being weaned. The big orange I think will be first to go as the woman has experience bottle feeding newborns. I hope for 10 weeks for these 3 because I don't want them not to adopt them when I secured homes for 7 weeks already. If not 10 then 9. I hope they understand. The black kitten her new mom is coming to visit this week. I will discuss with her. Plus vet and also you had said get Simba fixed while babies are still there. The 2 who do not have homes will stay with me for however long. I want so badly to adopt together. I had mentioned about lil grey and he said he would ask his wife but that she prob would say no because of so many cats and this is for their daughter who is 15 who lives with them and loves cats. They also have rescued and bottle fed newborns that were abandoned so they have that experience. I will do weighing tonight. At 8 weeks in one more week they should be 2 pounds. I will talk to everyone. I just don't want to lose the homes that I set up from the first days they were born.

Also when they do go off to new homes how much soft can food and how many hours for them to tell the owners. I am different because I feed them some nibble on and off but I do it more then 2 times for soft. I still do the round paper plate with 3 cans mushed around because Simba eats with them even though she has the same kitten food. There is food left over. I also today put down the bigger large litter box because Simba bowel movement a few times a day was on floor she couldn't fit inside plus the kittens they need big so hope they use it. While I'm typing this some already used it!

Will post weights later. Thank you so much.

mommyofsimba

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Weight for Friday 7 weeks old October 2nd

Black has always been just behind orange 1 and 2. I noticed last week she isn't nursing every time. She is nibbling on soft food and hard and drinking water. Her stool is good I checked. Should I give her some milk replacer. She does cry a lot but when I pick her up and give kisses or she plays she is good. But she crys for Simba a lot and in general but kinda always been the crier of the group. The last weight I have for her is sept 19 at 23.5 oz

October 2 Friday

Orange 1- 36.8oz reached the 2 pounds mark yay!!!!!
Orange 2- 34.9oz
Orange 3- 32.8oz
Black. 32.3 oz fallen behind should I be concerned?
Grey. 31.1oz Is this ok for little grey?

All nursing and weaning with soft food and kitten hard and water. Stools good. Did notice very needy and doesn't nurse as much and crys but then I try to get her to nurse and she will for a little but I think her teeth are hurting Simba. Any signs to look out for. I am going to regain weigh ins

:rbheart:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They are all looking great, and don't think it's needed to, but if it makes you feel better then go for it :))!

You've done a fabulous job btw!

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Their weights are fabulous! There is not one single thing you should worry about. You have done well!

Now they just need to continue maturing and weaning and spending time with mom!

mommyofsimba

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They are all looking great, and don't think it's needed to, but if it makes you feel better then go for it :))!
You've done a fabulous job btw!

Hi thank you I will post the weights for week 8 and 9. My bronchitis turned to pneumonia and my dad was in hospital. Sorry I haven't been on. I also want to post about some concerns I have with the kittens ld appreciate your feedback. Thank you so much.

mommyofsimba

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Their weights are fabulous! There is not one single thing you should worry about. You have done well!

Now they just need to continue maturing and weaning and spending time with mom!

Hi sorry I haven't been on I was sick and my dad was in hospital. I am posting weeks 8 and okay week 9. Please let me know what u think. I also have some concerns I will post and could use your advice. Thank you so much

mommyofsimba

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Weights are in :-)
"""""""""""""""" Week 8 Week 9

"""""""""""""""" Oct. 9. Oct 16
Orange 1. """"" 41.7oz. 46.5oz
Orange 2. """"" 40.3oz. 45.4oz
Orange 3. """" 38.3oz. 44.1oz
Black '""""""""" 37.5oz. 42.3oz.
Grey. """""""""""" 36.7oz. 41.0oz.

Please let me know thank you :rbheart: I have some concerns I would like to share and appreciate any feedback. How are the weights for all of them? What is the goal weight for week 10 coming up. They will start to leave at week 10 I want them to stay for 12 weeks but the families thought they were getting them at 8 weeks and because that's to young I said minimum 10 weeks. But I'm secure with all the families taking the kittens and will be in constant communication. Please let me know and read next post. Thank you

Week 7 October 2 Friday

Orange 1- 36.8oz
Orange 2- 34.9oz
Orange 3- 32.8oz
Black. 32.3 oz
Grey. 31.1oz

mommyofsimba

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Simba is still nursing today they are 9 weeks. Is this ok? They are eating soft and hard but not a lot. I also had to put simbas hard adult food she eats friskies grilled hard and they climed to her food. She also eats soft kitten food and the kitten hard food. They are all eating it. Like they don't want their kitten food. They rather eat her adult food. Is this dangerous because they are 9 weeks.? Also for week 10 they will start to go to their forever homes. How many days in between for each to go when they start going to their forever homes??? That's my biggest question. That's my main worry how Simba will handle it. The family for lil grey stopped by to meet and play and exchange scents I sent them a towel to give to their other cats and they gave me a Blanket I haven't introduced yet to lil grey. But will. She did great. They want to get her on week 10 so they can spend whole weekend nonstop with her. They also live 2 hours away and been waiting since they were only 2 days I secured a home with that family thankfully. I wanted lil grey to go last but the family has experience with newborns. I can always change the date because my main concern are the kittens. Orange 2 and 3 are going together double adoption. Is it better for them to go first or last?

Also I had a big problem with a few vets don't know if this is common but because she is still nursing they refused to spay her and said her milk needs to dry up first because it could cause infection. Also that it's dangerous for kittens to be nursing on a mother who has antibiotics and anesthesia and pain killers after the surgery that they would absorb it. So now I have to wait I called so many places. When they leave she will go. I'm very disappointed with vets decision because I wanted her to be fixed while they are here and could cope better.

Looking back at black weights she was more to the top of weights like orange 2. And has fallen. She's the crier. But the most affectionate. But all they do is play and are happy. I bought more toys and they sleep. I am really sad when they do leave. But I'm trying to see the calendar and dates so that they don't leave close together how many days do you recommend please?

Saying goodbye is going to be the hardest.

tsukiyomi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Simba is still nursing today they are 9 weeks. Is this ok? They are eating soft and hard but not a lot. I also had to put simbas hard adult food she eats friskies grilled hard and they climed to her food. She also eats soft kitten food and the kitten hard food. They are all eating it. Like they don't want their kitten food. They rather eat her adult food. Is this dangerous because they are 9 weeks.? Also for week 10 they will start to go to their forever homes. How many days in between for each to go when they start going to their forever homes??? That's my biggest question. That's my main worry how Simba will handle it. The family for lil grey stopped by to meet and play and exchange scents I sent them a towel to give to their other cats and they gave me a Blanket I haven't introduced yet to lil grey. But will. She did great. They want to get her on week 10 so they can spend whole weekend nonstop with her. They also live 2 hours away and been waiting since they were only 2 days I secured a home with that family thankfully. I wanted lil grey to go last but the family has experience with newborns. I can always change the date because my main concern are the kittens. Orange 2 and 3 are going together double adoption. Is it better for them to go first or last?

Also I had a big problem with a few vets don't know if this is common but because she is still nursing they refused to spay her and said her milk needs to dry up first because it could cause infection. Also that it's dangerous for kittens to be nursing on a mother who has antibiotics and anesthesia and pain killers after the surgery that they would absorb it. So now I have to wait I called so many places. When they leave she will go. I'm very disappointed with vets decision because I wanted her to be fixed while they are here and could cope better.

Looking back at black weights she was more to the top of weights like orange 2. And has fallen. She's the crier. But the most affectionate. But all they do is play and are happy. I bought more toys and they sleep. I am really sad when they do leave. But I'm trying to see the calendar and dates so that they don't leave close together how many days do you recommend please?

Saying goodbye is going to be the hardest.
As for adult food it shouldn't matter. Kitten food is preferred for it's fat content I believe but adult food shouldn't hurt them in any way.

The milk thing sounds normal to me since when I was speaking to those from the rescue group I got Vincent from they mentioned his mother would be with them for a few weeks longer than the kittens so that her milk could dry up.

Don't know anything about separating them though I can't really comment on.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
To me, this is always the hardest part.

But then again how I do it is, at 9 weeks the kids go to be fixed then into a foster home near Petco where we have our adoption events, and mom stays behind a week to dry up and get spayed, then goes to foster for adoptions.

I hate pulling them all at once!

However, with you letting 1 or 2 go at a time, it won't be quite so sudden for mom.

The last one will be the hardest.

Kittens don't need to nurse at all anymore if they are 9 weeks, and basically still do for the comfort part of it. 

But the only way to get it stopped is to separate mom from kids so she can dry up, which I don't think will happen with yours.

Just don't let her go and get prego again!! :)

You don't need to space with days in between. Even 1 or 2 a day is okay.

mommyofsimba

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As for adult food it shouldn't matter. Kitten food is preferred for it's fat content I believe but adult food shouldn't hurt them in any way.

The milk thing sounds normal to me since when I was speaking to those from the rescue group I got Vincent from they mentioned his mother would be with them for a few weeks longer than the kittens so that her milk could dry up.

Don't know anything about separating them though I can't really comment on.
Thank you that helps alot. They have their kitten soft food and kitten hard but last 2 days they are eating so much of her adult hard food. I really appreciate you feedback. :-)

mommyofsimba

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
To me, this is always the hardest part.
But then again how I do it is, at 9 weeks the kids go to be fixed then into a foster home near Petco where we have our adoption events, and mom stays behind a week to dry up and get spayed, then goes to foster for adoptions.
I hate pulling them all at once!

However, with you letting 1 or 2 go at a time, it won't be quite so sudden for mom.
The last one will be the hardest.

Kittens don't need to nurse at all anymore if they are 9 weeks, and basically still do for the comfort part of it. 
But the only way to get it stopped is to separate mom from kids so she can dry up, which I don't think will happen with yours.
Just don't let her go and get prego again!! :)

You don't need to space with days in between. Even 1 or 2 a day is okay.

Hi thank you. I am dreading when they leave you have been with me thru day 1 with my worries so you know everything :-). I can't thank you enough. I'm blessed to have found such wonderful homes. Simba is doing so amazing with them. She wakes them uo to be fed. Not all 5 are nursing some will still sleep or play. Bit last 3 times ive seen all 5. We still do walks on leash everyday and after they leave I'll wait a week or 2 for milk to dry up and take her to be fixed. What a journey. Would u say the biggest orange can go first. Or the doble adoption orange 2 and orange 3. I'm trying to figure out which ones to go at what times. As I type this 2 are on my bed they climbed up to sleep. They have so many beds I purchased but now been sleeping on couch or behind bed on a blanket or anywhere. Simba and I have each other but it's going to be very hard. Can you comment on the weights please because I don't know how much they should weigh. I posted above a few threads up. Thank you so much :-)