"you abuse your cat because you called it a bad name"

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
...Anyone else experienced this? I called my cat literally "my little dumb dumb" and on another post at a different time "my spoiled bastard"

Woke up both times to see a bunch of weirdos going "cute cat, bad name"
"why don't you like your cat"
"if you hate your cat, rehome it"
"cat deserves better"
etc....

Basically, I mistreat my animals because I don't ...... Goo-goo ga ga over them? Or baby talk them?
I don't know. What's your take? I found it funny personally because I don't know anyone IRL who puts the effort into their pets as much as I do. :blush: Do you think it's wrong to call your pets ""bad words" ????

Here's the dumb dumb. Lol
View attachment 305690
Pretty kitty:petcat:

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine does stuff to get a rise out of me so I assume she kinda likes it, she'll do something bad (like go into the kitchen) and just stand there; waiting for me to yell or walk in and put her back, and nope; it was one of those real stupid facebook groups!
I used to have Facebook...I deleted my account long ago...To me Facebook is good in alot of ways BUT bad in alot of ways ...So I been deleted my account...Not for any particular reason..just wasn't interested in having it..And it CAN be STRESSFUL...I think in ure case what probably happened was some of the people on there..took offence to the particular names u used...Cause I call my boy names like sugar boo..honey bee..my baby...Etc..But ignore those people...U love ure CATS...n the KITTIES know that...and thats ALL that matters..Oh yea forgot...couple other names...hunk of fir..little bugger..angel from heaven...newborn son..:thumbsup::):hyper::wave3::petcat::whitecat::catman::catlove:So keep loving ure cats n ignore those people...:agree:🙂

Last edited:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to have Facebook...I deleted my account long ago..
I was going to delete my FB account. But I have to admit that the marketplace works. I've sold a lot of stuff on it and have more to sell, so I'll keep it for now. That and the Daily Dalek and lost and found pets in my area are the only reason I have it.

SirenSong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow ... I guess my cats are heavily abused then ... I rarely call them by their names ... more often I refer to them as things like "dummkopf" or "dough brain" or ... when they're getting particularly on my nerves ... less innocent things (various curse words) ... I work in construction and have a mouth on me that could make a sailor blush. I'm only occasionally angry when I'm calling them whatever I'm calling them but ... honestly ... Journey comes running when I shout "HEY YOU CAAAAAAT" (like that guy from the Goonies says "HEY YOU GUUUUUYS"). They don't know what we're saying. I've been to hell and back for these darn furballs so nobody can tell me that I "abuse" them because I call them "bad names" ... jeesh ... some people need to get a life.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
I was going to delete my FB account. But I have to admit that the marketplace works. I've sold a lot of stuff on it and have more to sell, so I'll keep it for now. That and the Daily Dalek and lost and found pets in my area are the only reason I have it.
Oh I didn't mean to delete it..I was just saying I don't have it..By no means delete it just because people want to say things on there...Just ignore people that talk BS...sorry for word..but its true...I was just letting SpecterOhPossum know not to let what people said on FB bother about little cat names that was used...Thats all...

Last edited:

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I didn't mean to delete it..I was just saying I don't have it..By no means delete it just because people want to say things on there...Just ignore people that talk BS...sorry for word..but its true
And I was basically saying this towards SpecterOhPossum....to not pay attention to what people had to say on there...FB. .. about any names has for cats..

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I didn't mean to delete it..I was just saying I don't have it..By no means delete it just because people want to say things on there...Just ignore people that talk BS...sorry for word..but its true
I was going to delete it because I don't like FB, not because of people in groups. I am keeping it for now only because I have stuff on the FB Marketplace for sale.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I personally don't do it - at most I call them my boogie monsters or silly goose :lol: or "Naaaauuggghhtty" if I catch them doing something bad. But that is just my own nature.

My best friend though, does call her kitty names like "My/The little S**t" "I love you, you friggin' bastard" etc and the like. Keep in mind my friend is the sweetest bubblest person ever and says so as a play joke because if anything, she adores her pets, is very gentle with them, knows how smart they are and spoils them rotten. When she says it she says it with a goofy laugh. So if what you said is considered abusive by others then goodness, what comes out of my friends mouth is borderline serial killer level!

If someone were to say it in a true mean fashion or yelled, I would punch them in the face no question, of course.

I think it's hard online because people only see the words, right? Not how they are said, so it probably looks worse than it does. Even if you add cute emojis or however. It's not entirely fair, but I reckon friendly "name calling" is best reserved for in person and not on posts. There is a lot of sad-animal related things online from all over the world so it is no wonder people are sensitive about it.

Anyhoo you clearly love your cat and take good care of it, so it's all good to have a little fun. We all know they are never literal! :biggrin: And BTW your kitty is sooooo CUTE!

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats don't understand much of what you say, except their name, the words 'treat' and 'no'. Possibly 'get down'. So I don't feel bad about saying bad words to them. I once had a cat named PIMA. Stood for 'Pain in my ....". She was well loved and lived to be 20.
The care is what matters, not the words (that they don't understand anyway).

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
I personally don't do it - at most I call them my boogie monsters or silly goose :lol: or "Naaaauuggghhtty" if I catch them doing something bad. But that is just my own nature.

My best friend though, does call her kitty names like "My/The little S**t" "I love you, you friggin' bastard" etc and the like. Keep in mind my friend is the sweetest bubblest person ever and says so as a play joke because if anything, she adores her pets, is very gentle with them, knows how smart they are and spoils them rotten. When she says it she says it with a goofy laugh. So if what you said is considered abusive by others then goodness, what comes out of my friends mouth is borderline serial killer level!

If someone were to say it in a true mean fashion or yelled, I would punch them in the face no question, of course.

I think it's hard online because people only see the words, right? Not how they are said, so it probably looks worse than it does. Even if you add cute emojis or however. It's not entirely fair, but I reckon friendly "name calling" is best reserved for in person and not on posts. There is a lot of sad-animal related things online from all over the world so it is no wonder people are sensitive about it.

Anyhoo you clearly love your cat and take good care of it, so it's all good to have a little fun. We all know they are never literal! :biggrin: And BTW your kitty is sooooo CUTE!
Exactly..I call mine...cute little names..as u can see in my post....Its like I said I think the people took offense to the specific names that SpecterOhPossum listed..Like I posted to SpecterOhPossum...Dont worry about what people say....just continue loving ure KITTIES..n the KITTIES will know they are loved...Its like u said u do little names..I do little names..but no its not in my nature either to use particular names...but SpecterOhPossum im sure loves her kitties n they know that...And thats all that matters..just ignore people comments about it...if they are being negative

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do think that in some cases, a person who speaks aggressively may be inclined to behave aggressively. But of course it depends on the tone and context too.

I can't do it, except cutesy insults like stinky or dopey. When I had my first dog, I read in a dog book to use the word "dummy" instead of "bad" or "no" (because a dog may hear those words in regular conversation and feel scolded). I tried it for a while and just couldn't. It felt so toxic and verbally abusive. But other people may not have those hang-ups so go wild :D.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I sometimes call Rocket the little *itch. But, in my defense, it's usually when she is being especially bratty and either hissing at the boys or has chased the boys just because they walked past her. I love her dearly and cater to her every need (including doing the oh so horrible sharing food sometimes, small bites of cheese or meat or asparagus which she adores with no seasonings). Actions mean more than words and anyone who thinks I mistreat my cats for the words I sometimes say is entitled to their opinion. It doesn't actually impact me and I don't really pay them mind. I know, my cats know, people who know me know and my vet knows that my cats mean the world to me..... even if Rocket can be a little *@&#% from time to time.

This is the "who me? I didn't do it!" Face

IMG_20190902_163217.jpg

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
I do think that in some cases, a person who speaks aggressively may be inclined to behave aggressively. But of course it depends on the tone and context too.

I can't do it, except cutesy insults like stinky or dopey. When I had my first dog, I read in a dog book to use the word "dummy" instead of "bad" or "no" (because a dog may hear those words in regular conversation and feel scolded). I tried it for a while and just couldn't. It felt so toxic and verbally abusive. But other people may not have those hang-ups so go wild :D.
I dont n cant use such words either..as u say..But I use cute words like hunk of fir...baby boy..etc..And yea certain words do sound mean..I personally dont use them...Like u I can't..which im a soft hearted person anyway..Like u said some people can...and NOT mean no harm...But me Im a softy..:):catlove:

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Im gonna say this...I think..now this is my nature..im a softy..Personally I call my kitty..hunk of fir..baby boy..new born son..bunny ears..lots of cute names..no personally I couldn't call my boy what some people call their cats or dogs..cause it sounds harsh..But at the end of the day..I dont personally know the person..So I cant judge...Thats me:thumbsup::)WHATEVER floats their boat..as long as kitties are loved:wave3::cloud9::redheartpump::heartshape:

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
...Anyone else experienced this? I called my cat literally "my little dumb dumb" and on another post at a different time "my spoiled bastard"

Woke up both times to see a bunch of weirdos going "cute cat, bad name"
"why don't you like your cat"
"if you hate your cat, rehome it"
"cat deserves better"
etc....

Basically, I mistreat my animals because I don't ...... Goo-goo ga ga over them? Or baby talk them?
I don't know. What's your take? I found it funny personally because I don't know anyone IRL who puts the effort into their pets as much as I do. :blush: Do you think it's wrong to call your pets ""bad words" ????

Here's the dumb dumb. Lol
View attachment 305690
Im gonna say pretty kitty

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise

Now I do call my kitty sometimes when he gets into something..u little s...But I couldn't use the b word..no offense SpecterOhPossum _OK..I still say people see words n sometimes thats all...like said above..

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, in that case, a lot of loving cat owners would be guilty of abuse, myself included :rolleyes:
As long as, in the outset of things, they are loved and well cared for cats, if they get on your nerves from time to time I don't see the problem with it because, let's face it, as cat owners we all know that sometimes our feline friends can be a pain in the ass :biggrin: I think people throw the word "abuse" around a lot more lightly nowadays since social media, especially Twitter, has really taken off and it has undermined some serious, genuine abuse cases. Just take no notice of these people - they don't know you, so don't know what they're talking about and some people just like starting fights online for some sad reason.

Toffee and Fudge get called "little f*ckers" or "little bastards" when they've done something they shouldn't have, and Fudge's nickname is Fat Bastard sometimes (among many other positive nicknames too).

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Toffee and Fudge get called "little f*ckers" or "little bastards" when they've done something they shouldn't have, and Fudge's nickname is Fat Bastard sometimes (among many other positive nicknames too).
:flail:

For the first six months of my Dalmatian's life he thought his name was 'Damnit Luke..No'.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow ... I guess my cats are heavily abused then ... I rarely call them by their names ... more often I refer to them as things like "dummkopf" or "dough brain" or ... when they're getting particularly on my nerves ... less innocent things (various curse words) ... I work in construction and have a mouth on me that could make a sailor blush. I'm only occasionally angry when I'm calling them whatever I'm calling them but ... honestly ... Journey comes running when I shout "HEY YOU CAAAAAAT" (like that guy from the Goonies says "HEY YOU GUUUUUYS"). They don't know what we're saying. I've been to hell and back for these darn furballs so nobody can tell me that I "abuse" them because I call them "bad names" ... jeesh ... some people need to get a life.
:flail:
We had a grouchy old mare once that conked me in the side of the head when I called her an old bitch, if that makes anyone feel better.