"you abuse your cat because you called it a bad name"

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
...Anyone else experienced this? I called my cat literally "my little dumb dumb" and on another post at a different time "my spoiled bastard"

Woke up both times to see a bunch of weirdos going "cute cat, bad name"
"why don't you like your cat"
"if you hate your cat, rehome it"
"cat deserves better"
etc....

Basically, I mistreat my animals because I don't ...... Goo-goo ga ga over them? Or baby talk them?
I don't know. What's your take? I found it funny personally because I don't know anyone IRL who puts the effort into their pets as much as I do. :blush: Do you think it's wrong to call your pets ""bad words" ????

Here's the dumb dumb. Lol
hfhf.jpg

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I called Jeff a butthead one time and she literally stopped dead in her tracks and gasped at me. I apologized immediately. :)

Regarding what you said, I too had the same experienced, when I posted a thread about not liking my cat, Figaro. Cats are individuals and we don't always like their personality or their habits, just as they don't always like our personality or habits.

You love your cats, you take care of your cats, and that is what matters, unless, of course, they are like Jeff and they really do know what you are calling them. :)

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When the cats are acting out just because they can, I'll call them jerks in a normal tone of voice. I have no doubt that if I rushed them and boomed "I LOVE YOU" they would run, so I think context and tone of voice matters.
Now, the important part. I can call them jerks any time I want. If someone walked in here, and started calling them jerks, they'd leave with a boot-shaped bruise on their behind :lol:

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If calling your cats a bad name is the worse you do, you are not a bad cat parent, the bad people are the ones who do not alter, let their cats roam free in the dangerous outside, do not take them to the vet, and the worst - mistreat them physically. Anyone who calls you a bad person because you SAID something bad to your cat does not have a clue and are not worth even wasting time thinking about.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those are the type of people that need to be ignored.
I've called my cats bad names before and it does not translate to being a bad cat parent. Most people tell me that I go above and beyond for my cats. One of my cats was an a**hole, another was kinda stupid, and I loved them both dearly, but that did not stop me from coming up with a few nicknames that alluded to their nature. I'd like to ask those people that posted on your site if the only nickname they ever gave their child or spouse was complementing. If they say yes...they're lying.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The worst I have called my cats are dork and dork-butt. My son (jokingly) calls them mindless animals. My dork-butts are spoiled. and well cared for.

I agree with R rgwanner .

I'd like to ask those people that posted on your site if the only nickname they ever gave their child or spouse was complementing
The worst name I have called my children is "dork." I also called them "monkey-butt" when they were little My husband is my geeky nerd-dork.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, my cats tell me I'm a horrible cat parent when I stop scratching that perfect spot after only half an hour. They have never complained when I call them bad names, however. :headscratch:

Words are much less important to cats than actions, and tone of voice. Bear in mind, of course, that tone of voice doesn't come across in posts. I really think we should all assume that, when we're talking about a regular on TCS, their tone of voice when talking to their cats is loving, no matter what they're saying.

SpecterOhPossum SpecterOhPossum , did this happen to you on TCS?

Margret

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I must be a really bad cat parent then. Considering the names I call Samai when she decides to totally turn my arm into a scratching post and chew toy for no reason. I can't even put the names I call her on this site.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to call my Tik (RIP) jackass and bless him he really was :lol: He could be a bit of a bully but he was my jackass and it was part of his personality. If anybody else tried calling him they would get told. He was also my lovely lovely Tik cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, my cats tell me I'm a horrible cat parent when I stop scratching that perfect spot after only half an hour. They have never complained when I call them bad names, however. :headscratch:

Words are much less important to cats than actions, and tone of voice. Bear in mind, of course, that tone of voice doesn't come across in posts. I really think we should all assume that, when we're talking about a regular on TCS, their tone of voice when talking to their cats is loving, no matter what they're saying.

SpecterOhPossum SpecterOhPossum , did this happen to you on TCS?

Margret
Mine does stuff to get a rise out of me so I assume she kinda likes it, she'll do something bad (like go into the kitchen) and just stand there; waiting for me to yell or walk in and put her back, and nope; it was one of those real stupid facebook groups!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
nope; it was one of those real stupid facebook groups!
Glad to hear it!

I've been avoiding FaceBook since my brother the Electrical Engineer informed me that, in his opinion, Mark Zuckerberg is the worst threat to personal privacy in the world. The thing about TCS is that, to a certain extent, we all know each other here; we have a history with cats that's open to all members. So even though some of us occasionally say stupid things, I've seen very little flaming of other members, and when I have seen it it was about something like politics, not stupid ideas about what cats care about.

Margret