Yesterdays Oprah

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stay home for a while and then back to work. I took 6 months off after my daughter was born, and it was great!

vicious vaness

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you would've asked me this a year or two ago, I would've said that I wouldn't want to become a housewife. But, I started working at home. I realized that there's so much more time to do things. Now I wouldn't mind it.

I can't pick any of those options, because my choice isn't up there. I would like to continue working at home when I have kids.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lionessrampant

Myself, I was all ready to be a working mom until I sarted babysitting these kids whose parents both work full time. I could never do that to my children. It's easy to tell that these are bright kids who have never, never gotten the attention they need from their parents...especially school-wise (we're talking a 10-year old who can't spell words like "this" or "talk"). Yeah, sure, they show up to basketball games and school pageants, which is important, but you have to be there to know what's going on with your kids at all times, what's happening in their lives. Most of the time, kids won't talk, so you have to watch and monitor.
see, as far as this kind of stuff goes, I really don't think it has anything to do with the mom working but everything to do with what kind of parents they are. and from what you've told us about these parents, both of them could be home and the kids would still turn out messed up
anywoo, like i said, my mom worked full time all through my growing up years and like i said in another thread somewhere, my mom was on me like white on rice, she knew what i did before i actually did it
that was because she was a good parent, both my sister and I have turned out to be (fairly) productive citizens

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am all about going back to work..I don't even want kids and I can't imagine being at home with bratty kids all day..I would LOSE it!! I couldn't not work, I would be so bored.

snuzy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My mom was the only mom I knew who worked full time. (actually, more than full time (10 hour days 5 days a week including alternate weekends and holidays--she was a nurse) Everyone else had their moms home when I was a kid, but I had to go to my aunt's house. (which wasn't bad, but I really missed having a mom at home like the other kids) Because of that, I knew I wanted to stay home when I had kids, and I have. I did work every other weekend and filled in for vacations sometimes, so my husband spent a lot of time caring for the kids which was great. The hospital I worked at closed about 6 years ago, and since then I haven't been working. I do volunteer at the animal shelter, foster care for cats and kittens, and put together a monthly newsletter for a mother's group I belong to, but I wouldn't mind working now. Unfortunately, my available hours between getting my youngest on the bus and picking up my oldest do not coincide with hospital shifts. ( I wonder if it bothers my kids that most of their friends have moms that work but theirs doesn't
)

I agree with an earlier poster that it would be great to work from home when you have kids.

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think it depends on the situation. I was at home full-time when my kids were little. I don't work now- but I'm in school part-time for a BSN degree, which I hope to get within the next few years.

I don't regret it, but it has been a pain putting any kind of a career on hold while my kids were little. I'm lucky in the fact that what I've chosen to do is a good second career. I'm not even the oldest student in my microbiology class this semester, but I'm one of THE oldest

But I wouldn't have done it any other way. Since I had such a hard time concieving both times (endometriosis and a hormone disorder) I didn't even know IF I'd ever get pregnant, and I sure didn't want to put my kids in daycare all day. It was a stretch- esp at the beginning, but worth it.

I hate seeing moms on both sides of the issue picking at each other like bratty kids
You do what's right for YOUR family, and don't let anyone make you feel bad.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I deffinatley want to stay home with my kids. One thing I really want, is that if I have to go back, I want my kids in a Christian school. I don't judge any parent's on their decisions in this matter. Growing up with my mom being single and hearing her say she wished she could be home with me and all probably put it in my head the most, but truly I want to be involved in my kids life. I don't want to miss things like first steps. I want to teach my kids their ABC's and what not. That's me personally.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When we have children, I want to be able to spend time with them while they are young- I'd love to be able to stay home with them. My mom was a daycare provider, which she ran out of our home, so she was with us while we were young, and I loved it.
I also believe it depends on the family and their financial situation, and that it doesn't always have to be the mom- I think its awesome when the fathers are able to stay home with the children as well.

Hopefully when we do have children, we'll be financially well off enough to let one of us stay home with the children until they are in 1st grade at least. If not, I'm sure I'd be home with them for 3-6 months before returning to work.