Yes, ANOTHER "when is my cat going to give birth" thread...but HELP!

sianithomas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, my beautiful Tortoiseshell cat, Mexico mated around  the 25th of Feb, thus making her 64 days into her pregnany and, Boy, is she big. She's turned on April12th so she is still really young (and please dont have a go at me for not getting her spade. Things got in the way and she got out!). her nipples are long and pink and her mammary glands feel a little descended but no milk, no plug, no mucus and all those other signs. She is  very affectionate but always has been as has taken to sleep on the living room floor. 

Do i take her to the vets to get her looked at? Monday is Bank Holiday so my vets practice will be closed. I dont know what to do. I am a very anxious, she seems to be taking things in her stride, eating and drinking well but isnt 64 days a bit late?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks! Diolch yn Fawr!

krissy marissy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My Lizzy is also on day 64. She's been sleeping all day, panics when I leave her and is still eating like a horse. Her tummy feels less round, you can feel little bulges where the kittens are, we're expecting 2-3. Anyway, she's not showing any signs yet either. Each cat is different and cats can go to 70 days without issue. They'll come when she's ready. It's hard to wait.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sianithomas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Who knows, ours might be birthday buddies together! Its just so hard waiting. Is this your first litter? How old is Lizzie?
X

krissy marissy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She's almost 16 months. She's been digging and now resting in her box. Hopefully they'll come this weekend! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

And yes, her first litter.

Last edited:

sianithomas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mexico wont nest anywhere! I don't think she will either. Probably have her baby(ies) on our bed knowing her.
Do you have a fair idea how many there are?

krissy marissy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
2 possibly 3. She's been nesting off and on for at least a week. She's confined to my room right now and she isn't loving it lol.

krissy marissy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She didn't finish her lunch, both wet food and dry food are there. She never leaves wet food. She's also pooped 3 times already today which is more than usual. Soft, but not runny.

sianithomas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is confining her to a room the best way to get her to nest? Perhaps I should try that

krissy marissy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Is confining her to a room the best way to get her to nest? Perhaps I should try that
No, I don't think you need to, but I'm trying to keep her away from my kids and our other cat. She has only nested in here so I figured it couldn't hurt. This house is large and I don't want her having kittens in a place that I'm unable to get to. Or staining the cream carpet [emoji]128514[/emoji] All hardwood up here.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cat pregnancies are 65-70 days generally, so I wouldn't worry yet.

Please know that she can get pregnant again within a week of delivery, so she definitely needs to stay in. Mom can be spayed when the babies are 8 weeks old.

Have you bought any supplies for the kittens?

krissy marissy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How's Mexico today? Liz didn't eat breakfast. She wants belly rubs and now she's twitching? Her little arms and legs are shaking some. I think we're beginning early labor. She's been very vocal today too.

Last edited:

sianithomas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cat pregnancies are 65-70 days generally, so I wouldn't worry yet.

Please know that she can get pregnant again within a week of delivery, so she definitely needs to stay in. Mom can be spayed when the babies are 8 weeks old.

Have you bought any supplies for the kittens?
hi TalkingPeanut. No, I haven't bought any supplies. I am going to get KRM and some syringes tomorrow at Pets at Home but my hubby said that there's no need and to let nature take its course. Vet said said the hand-reared kittens tend to have a lower life expectancy because people don't realise that its like feeding a baby and that you have to sterilise all the equipment etc which I though was obvious.

sianithomas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How's Mexico today? Liz didn't eat breakfast. She wants belly rubs and now she's twitching? Her little arms and legs are shaking some. I think we're beginning early labor. She's been very vocal today too.
Oooh exciting!!! I think Mexico has decided on her nesting site but its in the most awkward place imaginable! Behind the tv unit! Luckily its a floor level shelf. Difficult to describe but highly accessible if there's an emergency. She didn't finish her food just now and she won't leave me out of her sight. Just felt the side of her kittybelly just now and there was a hard lump which slowly faded away as I gently put my hand on it. Felt like something from Alien!

Hows lizzie now? X

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hi TalkingPeanut. No, I haven't bought any supplies. I am going to get KRM and some syringes tomorrow at Pets at Home but my hubby said that there's no need and to let nature take its course. Vet said said the hand-reared kittens tend to have a lower life expectancy because people don't realise that its like feeding a baby and that you have to sterilise all the equipment etc which I though was obvious.
A kitten fed correctly will not have a lower chance of living. Quite the opposite - if a kitten needs supplementing you will save its life. Please don't allow a kitten in need of help to starve to death.

sianithomas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A kitten fed correctly will not have a lower chance of living. Quite the opposite - if a kitten needs supplementing you will save its life. Please don't allow a kitten in need of help to starve to death.
id never let a kitten starve to death!!!

I was just saying that a kitten hand fed may have a lesser chance because people don't realise that you to sterilise everything and wear gloves when handling them for the first few hours, if need be.

Last edited by a moderator:

krissy marissy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Lizzy had 4 beautiful babies this morning. They're all nursing well, I'll get weights later, I want them to eat. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Congratulations!  Yes, let those babies nurse.  The first milk is the colostrum which gives them their mama's antibodies, so it's very important.  I think the two reasons that hand-reared kittens may have a lower life expectancy is (1) they don't get the colostrum with the antibodies if they didn't get to nurse in the first few days, and (2) feeding newborns takes a special touch and it is very easy for inexperienced people to get milk in their lungs which causes a mechanical pneumonia that they cannot recover from. 

sianithomas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Congratulations!  Yes, let those babies nurse.  The first milk is the colostrum which gives them their mama's antibodies, so it's very important.  I think the two reasons that hand-reared kittens may have a lower life expectancy is (1) they don't get the colostrum with the antibodies if they didn't get to nurse in the first few days, and (2) feeding newborns takes a special touch and it is very easy for inexperienced people to get milk in their lungs which causes a mechanical pneumonia that they cannot recover from. 
Thanks for the info