Worried: Lower Urinary Tract Blockage

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you decided on a diet for your cat. There lies the answer to your cat having a good life from here on.

I had two cats, both males, who lived their lived bothered by urinary issues and one who died from acute kidney failure. We never knew what caused his death.

It is scary to watch how sick a cat with this problem can get in such a short time. Both of my cats were immediately put on prescription dry food from the vet and that is all they every ate. No snacks, no cheating.
Both cats did well and never had any more issues, They were fed two meals a day in separate boxes so they only got the intended amount of food. One cat had a tendency to be overweight and according to my vet, that can make the urinary issue worse. Another thing I did is switched their water to only filtered or purified distilled water, always. It is amazing how well they were when I finally did what the vet said, gave them the RX food and started the purified water.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As others have said: keep a good watch on him and do not hesitate to contact the vet, if no pee or if he is acting agitated. Hoping it's just that he doesn't have to pee and is sore from the catheter. Were you sent home with any pain meds and/or anti inflammatories? It's been a while since Kitty's crystal/bladder crisis but I think I remember she had both initially (no more than a couple of days worth) in order to make sure she was comfy but she was not fully blocked so the protocol with that may be different.
Also, believe me when I say I know how worried and stressed you are that Tintin start peeing, but try to be as calm and relaxed as you can...that will help Tintin remain relaxed and stress free which will help his recovery. Again, way easier said than done....a year and a half after Kitty's crisis, I'm still the pee police!
If you can, pick up some Feliway today, which should help him relax.

Hang in there...you are doing great!!
I was wondering the same. When Angel had strurvite crystals, He was put on amatriptyline to help relax his bladder from spasms he was having too. It may be something you can ask about if he continues to have a hard time. (It's actually an anti-anxiety/ antidepressant,  so helped his bladder relax to pee too!)  I think it was a big help after going through all of that at the vets too. It's something to keep in mind. 

Also, his ultrasound showed some inflammation of the bladder, so he was put on cosequin too. After he was better, I still kept him on it for his joints as he got older. He never had any problems, but maybe that was why. I figured it was a good preventative!  

I also only gave him water from my PUR filter on the faucet, & also always mixed some in his wet food as well, for the rest of his life. I didn't want him to go through that again!

After Angel was on Purina UR SO RX can food for a year or so, I wanted to find a healthier food for him that would compare & address his needs as well, but just with better ingredients.

At a local natural pet food store, they told me about Dave's Restricted diet pet food. There was one that was made to compare to the urinary formulas. I gave a couple of cans a try, he liked it, so cleared it w/ my vet after showing her the ingredients. We did a follow up urinalysis 3 weeks after Angel being on the Dave's, & all was still good!

Here is a link for it on chewy.com, if you don't have a local natural pet food store. 

http://www.chewy.com/cat/daves-pet-food-restricted-diet/dp/101617

As for the cosequin, & the feliway (or comfort zone) I have found the best prices on amazon. 

I hope things continue to go well. Keep us posted. Many of us have been through it, so we know how you feel!  

Last edited:

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was wondering the same. When Angel had strurvite crystals, He was put on amatriptyline to help relax his bladder from spasms he was having too. It may be something you can ask about if he continues to have a hard time. (It's actually an anti-anxiety/ antidepressant,  so helped his bladder relax to pee too!)  I think it was a big help after going through all of that at the vets too. It's something to keep in mind. 
Also, his ultrasound showed some inflammation of the bladder, so he was put on cosequin too. After he was better, I still kept him on it for his joints as he got older. He never had any problems, but maybe that was why. I figured it was a good preventative!  
I also only gave him water from my PUR filter on the faucet, & also always mixed some in his wet food as well, for the rest of his life. I didn't want him to go through that again!
After Angel was on Purina UR SO RX can food for a year or so, I wanted to find a healthier food for him that would compare & address his needs as well, but just with better ingredients.
At a local natural pet food store, they told me about Dave's Restricted diet pet food. There was one that was made to compare to the urinary formulas. I gave a couple of cans a try, he liked it, so cleared it w/ my vet after showing her the ingredients. We did a follow up urinalysis 3 weeks after Angel being on the Dave's, & all was still good!
Here is a link for it on chewy.com, if you don't have a local natural pet food store. 

As for the cosequin, & the feliway (or comfort zone) I have found the best prices on amazon. 
I hope things continue to go well. Keep us posted. Many of us have been through it, so we know how you feel!  :)  

Thanks so much for sharing the tip about Dave's pet food. Like you, after about a year on Royal Canin Urinary SO, I wanted to get her off of it due to the ingredients and subsequent weight gain. I've been feeding Kitty NVI duck and rabbit for about 6 months and thus far, follow up urinalysis have been crystal free but it's good to have other options to add to the rotation.
If Kitty ever has repeat crystal episode, I am going to ask about the possible need for anti anxiety meds. I don't want to medicate her uneccesarily but I have read often that stress is/can be a factor in crystal formation. Right now, I try to play with her every day, I've put up bird feeders in her window etc in an attempt to enrich her environment and make her life happier [emoji]128571[/emoji]

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for sharing the tip about Dave's pet food. Like you, after about a year on Royal Canin Urinary SO, I wanted to get her off of it due to the ingredients and subsequent weight gain. I've been feeding Kitty NVI duck and rabbit for about 6 months and thus far, follow up urinalysis have been crystal free but it's good to have other options to add to the rotation.
If Kitty ever has repeat crystal episode, I am going to ask about the possible need for anti anxiety meds. I don't want to medicate her uneccesarily but I have read often that stress is/can be a factor in crystal formation. Right now, I try to play with her every day, I've put up bird feeders in her window etc in an attempt to enrich her environment and make her life happier [emoji]128571[/emoji]
Yes, I also kept a plug in diffuser of the feliway, or comfort zone plugged it all of the time after that. 

I like the NVI too, but was too expensive for me at 1.99/can.  So am glad I found Dave's & he liked it.  

Yea, the ametriptyline was great. He was only on it for a certain amount of time. (5 mg.) Trying to remember, maybe a month?? Then, I could alway give 1/2 a dose if I thought he needed it, & was good to have for that reason as well.  (like when he had to stay in another room for the day when my mom & I were painting the living room floor). Just in case. I didn't want him stressing out. It was also the reason for a very smooth indoor only transition!  When he first came to me he was indoor & outdoor for the first two years, then I was able to keep him in w/ out a problem for the rest of his life. Last Aug. was 4 yrs. inside, so this Aug. would have been 5, but now he is playing free over the rainbow bridge. 

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I also kept a plug in diffuser of the feliway, or comfort zone plugged it all of the time after that. 

I like the NVI too, but was too expensive for me at 1.99/can.  So am glad I found Dave's & he liked it.  
Yea, the ametriptyline was great. He was only on it for a certain amount of time. (5 mg.) Trying to remember, maybe a month?? Then, I could alway give 1/2 a dose if I thought he needed it, & was good to have for that reason as well.  (like when he had to stay in another room for the day when my mom & I were painting the living room floor). Just in case. I didn't want him stressing out. It was also the reason for a very smooth indoor only transition!  When he first came to me he was indoor & outdoor for the first two years, then I was able to keep him in w/ out a problem for the rest of his life. Last Aug. was 4 yrs. inside, so this Aug. would have been 5, but now he is playing free over the rainbow bridge. :rbheart:  
I've been reading about the loss of Angel and I don't have words that can begin to express to you how sorry I am. I loved the shelf you dedicated to him and how you continue to honor him [emoji]128591[/emoji][emoji]127995[/emoji]. I can't begin to contemplate the grief you must be feeling. He was one lucky kitty to have such a great mom but I bet you consider yourself lucky to have had him in your life.
I love the NVI as well but agree the cost is steep (even through Chewy). I've going to try out Dave's. It's great to hear that the mediation helped him but clearly did not leave him drugged our or in a haze!
Take care, Angel's mommy [emoji]10084[/emoji]️

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been reading about the loss of Angel and I don't have words that can begin to express to you how sorry I am. I loved the shelf you dedicated to him and how you continue to honor him [emoji]128591[/emoji][emoji]127995[/emoji]. I can't begin to contemplate the grief you must be feeling. He was one lucky kitty to have such a great mom but I bet you consider yourself lucky to have had him in your life.
I love the NVI as well but agree the cost is steep (even through Chewy). I've going to try out Dave's. It's great to hear that the mediation helped him but clearly did not leave him drugged our or in a haze!
Take care, Angel's mommy [emoji]10084[/emoji]️
Aww, thank you so much. I do consider myself very blessed to have had him in my life, he truly was a special boy!! 

smichelle88

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there! I just wanted to make sure....

I just got my cat back today from the vet after they successfully unblocked him. They didn't find any crystals or stones. They're thinking inflammation is probably what caused it. However once we got home he's been in and out of the litter box. He pee'd an okay size amount the first time but immediately after he kept going back in just squatting. Only dribbles will come out. I called the vet and they did say that because he had a catheter in, his bladder and urethra are irritated it's making him have the urge to go without really needing to. But I am such a worry wart. :(

I want my little boy to be okay. It's been such a tough weekend.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hi there! I just wanted to make sure....

I just got my cat back today from the vet after they successfully unblocked him. They didn't find any crystals or stones. They're thinking inflammation is probably what caused it. However once we got home he's been in and out of the litter box. He pee'd an okay size amount the first time but immediately after he kept going back in just squatting. Only dribbles will come out. I called the vet and they did say that because he had a catheter in, his bladder and urethra are irritated it's making him have the urge to go without really needing to. But I am such a worry wart. :(

I want my little boy to be okay. It's been such a tough weekend.
I'm glad to hear he is home. Did they not send you home with anything for the inflammation? My vet sent me home with a bottle of Dasequin to give for the inflammation. It was expensive, so after that was done, I started buying cosequin from amazon. It's only 16.99 for a bottle of 80. Even though it's for joints, it still addressed the bladder inflammation. I kept him on it for the rest of his life, since he was over 10 years old, as a preventative for any future issues. The maintenance dose was every other day.  While treating the bladder inflammation, it was every day. 

smichelle88

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah they gave me pain meds and a muscle relaxant. I've been giving him the muscle relaxant but not the pain meds because he just stays wide awake on those things. He doesn't sleep at all and he get's so restless so I opted to give him rest. He hasn't been complaining of pain. He's still producing small urine amounts but he goes every time he's in the litter box.His vet told me as long as he's producing some urine he's not so concerned. And he started eating Tuesday, started drinking water yesterday. I am hoping for some good amounts of urine this weekend. Or else I will be calling his regular vet. It's been such an emotional ride for him and myself. I can only imagine what he's been feeling, poor little guy,

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yeah they gave me pain meds and a muscle relaxant. I've been giving him the muscle relaxant but not the pain meds because he just stays wide awake on those things. He doesn't sleep at all and he get's so restless so I opted to give him rest. He hasn't been complaining of pain. He's still producing small urine amounts but he goes every time he's in the litter box.His vet told me as long as he's producing some urine he's not so concerned. And he started eating Tuesday, started drinking water yesterday. I am hoping for some good amounts of urine this weekend. Or else I will be calling his regular vet. It's been such an emotional ride for him and myself. I can only imagine what he's been feeling, poor little guy,
Oh, I understand. I remember that all too well! They kept Angel wide awake too. Just remember that cats hide pain well, so try & stay "tuned into him" as much as possible to try & read his eyes. I usually tried to give it durring the day, then skip the night dose, in hopes for sleep & rest.  Or, just cut the dosage in half. (or give a dose, skip a dose & so on) Hopefully the muscle relaxers are helping w/ any pain as well. 

Yes, it's good that he is peeing. It may also be less amounts because he hasn't taken as much in, or because there may still be some inflammation.  

smichelle88

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, he finally started eating okay Tuesday when his regular vet gave us his lifetime food. But I also had asked if he can give kitty an appetite stimulant because he just was not eating at all since he had gotten sick and the last thing I needed him to get was fatty liver disease on top of everything. It wasn't until yesterday that he started drinking water on his own too. So I am hoping for some good pee size clumps this weekend. Unfortunately I work 12 hour shifts this weekend so I asked my dad to watch over him for me until I come home. So far though he's been good in eating and drinking water. I've placed several fresh water bowls around the house just in case. His last dose of muscle relaxant is tomorrow morning so I will see how he handles it this weekend as well. Super worried for that
. I can not stress how thankful I am for you responding and for the information on this site. It's helped so much. 

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yeah, he finally started eating okay Tuesday when his regular vet gave us his lifetime food. But I also had asked if he can give kitty an appetite stimulant because he just was not eating at all since he had gotten sick and the last thing I needed him to get was fatty liver disease on top of everything. It wasn't until yesterday that he started drinking water on his own too. So I am hoping for some good pee size clumps this weekend. Unfortunately I work 12 hour shifts this weekend so I asked my dad to watch over him for me until I come home. So far though he's been good in eating and drinking water. I've placed several fresh water bowls around the house just in case. His last dose of muscle relaxant is tomorrow morning so I will see how he handles it this weekend as well. Super worried for that
. I can not stress how thankful I am for you responding and for the information on this site. It's helped so much. 
Aww, you are so welcome. It makes me happy to know I can help. That's why I have stuck around, so I can pass on what I've learned here, or been through. Besides, I will have another kitty some day...when I am ready.

It may be a year from now, I don't know, but I will have another. I have too much love to give & can't live alone forever! I miss having a kitty, but just not ready. The 5th will just be 2 months since Angel crossed the bridge.

Yes, I'm glad you got some appetite stimulants to help him eat. It worries you when they don't because like you said, that's another issue. Is he eating on his own now,or do you still have to give him the appetite stimulants? How is he on them? I wouldn't recommend them any longer than really needed, because they increase the heart rate. It makes some cats more vocal. I think it's because they are telling you something doesn't feel right. I could only give Angel 1/2 a dose. I'm glad your dad will be there to keep an eye on him while you're at work. You'll have to tell him he's on "pee pee watch." 
 "Detailed reports expected." 

rose2015

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Miss Kitty, I'm so sorry to hear about your awful experience with crystals. May I ask what you were feeding before and now? I'm just trying to work out a good diet for my 8 month old female to help prevent crystals. Thank you so much.:lol3:

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Rose
Prior to the crystal episode I was feeding Wellness dry and canned (primary dry with a portion of canned in the morning and evening). Immediately after the crystal/bladder inflammation: Royal Canin Urinary SO canned with a tiny portion of RC Urinary dry as a treat (former kibble junkie). She was on the RC for about 8 months. After lots of research and talking to my vet, I decided on Nature's Variety Instinct canned, typically either duck or rabbit. I picked that because it's high in protein, grain free and she likes it. Her diet is 95% canned now with either freeze dried chicken/turkey or NVI raw boost minis for treats. I also added a water fountain and additional bowls of water in every room to promote more water intake.
Good for you for being proactive and working towards prevention of urinary issues for your girl before they ever happen. I wish I had known more and spared my girl the whole ordeal!

rose2015

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for replying so quickly. Wow! That's really scary because I have been feeding her pretty much that (Wellness kitten complete balance dry in the morning and kitten canned at night). However have read in the last few days that Wellness is responsible for a lot of these problems. I'm so scared now! I've switched her canned to Holistic Select (fingers crossed) and just waiting to finish off her dry Wellness complete kitten. What are the symptoms of crystals? I'm so so scared now :sigh:

Last edited:

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The first thing I noticed was that she was not peeing as usual-not as often and not as much (I only have her so her litter habits are easy for me to be aware of). Then there was a day where there was really no pee except for tiny dribbles.i would see her go into her box, stay in there a long time with no results. She did this over and over and was constantly licking her genitals in between. I knew something was wrong. I then googled this and read these symptoms could be either a UTI or bladder inflammation due to crystals. Either way, not peeing was a medical emergency from what I read so I called my vet. They wanted to see her immediately so off we went.
Try not to worry about this happening to your kitty but be observant of her litter habits. If there is a change, then watch a little closer and contact your vet. I was hoping it was not crystals but unfortunately it was. There was a massive amount of crystals in her urine sample but thankfully no stones. We were lucky in that an immediate diet change to the canned RC Urinary SO along with anti inflammatory meds and sub-q fluids (and pain meds to keep her comfortable) solved the problem rather than having to put her thru surgery.
The best thing is that you are educating yourself BEFORE anything happens. [emoji]128522[/emoji] I commend you for that!!

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I hope things continue to go well. Keep us posted. Many of us have been through it, so we know how you feel!  :)  
Angels mommy-
Had to thank you for the suggestion about Dave's cat food. I was able to find a local pet store where I could buy individual cans for my girl to try before committing to ordering by the case via Chewy. She LOVES it and it makes me feel good that it will help support her urinary tract (plus a bonus...ill be saving some money!!) Had it not been for your suggestion, I would have never known about this! Thanks again and I hope you are doing well [emoji]10084[/emoji]️

rose2015

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much Miss Kitty! All that advice is brilliant. We may need to feed kibble on some days, but planning to change her diet so most meals are canned, a couple raw (with raw treats through the week) and only a few mornings of kibble. At this moment can only find Holistc Select as a good option after scrapping the Wellness (in Australia). How is your kitty doing now? Would love to see some updated photos of your furbaby now :lol3: Attached is my Zoe xox

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Angels mommy-
Had to thank you for the suggestion about Dave's cat food. I was able to find a local pet store where I could buy individual cans for my girl to try before committing to ordering by the case via Chewy. She LOVES it and it makes me feel good that it will help support her urinary tract (plus a bonus...ill be saving some money!!) Had it not been for your suggestion, I would have never known about this! Thanks again and I hope you are doing well [emoji]10084[/emoji]️
Oh YAY, That makes me so happy!!! 
I'm so glad you were able to find it locally!  As long as you can get it locally, I would just order cases from there. Better to support a local business. 

I'm glad your girl likes it.  Keep me posted on her progress.