Worried: Lower Urinary Tract Blockage

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Wonderful news!  
    Tintin will be so glad to see you and to be back at home.  Do you have any photos of him you could share?   We love photos around here. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danitaielle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We are back home and he is eating like it's going out of style! I'm going to try to put a picture up. We will see how that goes.

danitaielle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's been in the litter box a couple times. But no pee...

margd

Veteran
Purraise
Tintin is probably still sore from the catheter which might be making him feel like he has to urinate, even when his bladder is empty.  Keep an eye on his urine output and if he doesn't produce any within the next 60 minutes or so, I'd call the vet and ask if it's anything to worry about.  Did the vet give you an idea of when Tintin should pee after getting home?  

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's been in the litter box a couple times. But no pee...
It could be due to its been so soon. He's bladder's most likely empty but he still sore and has that urge to go even though there's nothing to go. Keep good watch on him, I know its very stressful.

danitaielle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He was at the emergency vet so my at home care instructions were rushed (another emergency came in). I'm watching him like a hawk. He seems happy. He's been curious and playing. But I'm just a worried mom!

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As others have said: keep a good watch on him and do not hesitate to contact the vet, if no pee or if he is acting agitated. Hoping it's just that he doesn't have to pee and is sore from the catheter. Were you sent home with any pain meds and/or anti inflammatories? It's been a while since Kitty's crystal/bladder crisis but I think I remember she had both initially (no more than a couple of days worth) in order to make sure she was comfy but she was not fully blocked so the protocol with that may be different.
Also, believe me when I say I know how worried and stressed you are that Tintin start peeing, but try to be as calm and relaxed as you can...that will help Tintin remain relaxed and stress free which will help his recovery. Again, way easier said than done....a year and a half after Kitty's crisis, I'm still the pee police!
If you can, pick up some Feliway today, which should help him relax.

Hang in there...you are doing great!!

margd

Veteran
Purraise
He was at the emergency vet so my at home care instructions were rushed (another emergency came in). I'm watching him like a hawk. He seems happy. He's been curious and playing. But I'm just a worried mom!
Of course you are.  I'd be a nervous wreck in your shoes.  Try not to let Tintin pick up on how worried you are - cats are very sensitive to their humans' moods.  Easier said then done, I know!

danitaielle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He was sent home with 3 medications. He has now peed a tiny bit, which makes me feel better. He's drinking a lot of water, I have water dishes everywhere. I luckily have today and tomorrow off so I'll be home with him. The boyfriend is picking up feliway right now.

Thank you so much everyone, I don't know how to explain how amazing you all are.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If he likes tuna, a good way to make him drink more is create Tuna Water.  Take a can of tuna and put in a quart canning jar.  Fill with water and shake it up, let it soak for a bit, then strain the water into another container and give the tuna to your other cats.  Put tuna water down in a dish for him.  It worked on my girl, but tuna was a treat to her after 1 1/2 years on dry shelter food. 

Last edited:

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he likes tuna, a good way to make him drink more is create Tuna Water.  Take a can of tuna and put in a quart canning jar.  Fill with water and shake it up, let it soak for a bit, then strain the water into another container and give the tuna to your other cats.  Put tuna water down in a dish for him.  It worked on my girl, but tuna was a treat to her after 1 1/2 years on dry shelter food. 
I second the tuna water....great way to get extra water in your little guy!

Glad you can be home with him today...good for both of you [emoji]128571[/emoji]

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
He was sent home with 3 medications. He has now peed a tiny bit, which makes me feel better. He's drinking a lot of water, I have water dishes everywhere. I luckily have today and tomorrow off so I'll be home with him. The boyfriend is picking up feliway right now.

Thank you so much everyone, I don't know how to explain how amazing you all are.
Hi there, So glad your boy is coming home. I havent had to deal with crystals in a long time but changing the diet to all wet food instead of dry is big.

My girl got crystals from corn in her food. I had to hunt high and low for dry food without corn-this was in 2004. She would not eat canned-so once i got better quality dry that helped-now fast forward-I have been spending the past 2 years still transitioning to wet. I only wish I knew then what I know now..so if you can get them off dry don't hesitate.

I found she goes through phases where she only ate fish foods..then she turned her nose up..so now I bought some fancy feast pate nonfish and she ate it up. GRRR. So make sure you have a bit of variety. I have tried the more expensive foods and they are chunks rather than meatloaf which she absoluteluy HATES. So I only buy pate/meatloaf style.

I learned a trick from a friend who treats Renal kitties-take water and mash it with the wet food to a pudding like texture..she loves it..i also add a bit of canned pumpkin to keep her regular then lysine for her eye goops. I feed two cans a day but she only licks the juice and leaves the meat. I cut back on dry. so i fill dish in the morning and wet down. then at dinner wet again. if she eats all dry she doesnt get anymore but she will go eat it out of others dishes-I have 3 cats..each has their own area to eat but flo monster is a pig and eats everyone else's food

So for now I am still learning and I would like to try that vinegar trick because my girl gets pukey at times because of constipation..I gave her a teaspoon of pumokin yesterday and again this morning..hoping for results when i get home...It would be nice if I could get them off dry..sorry for so long yacking...I thank all who share their tips=if they could do what we tell them and tell us what is wrong?!

So glad kitty is home..playing and horsing around is good. Cats are desert animals-mine only go once every 10-12 hours even with extra dishes all over. so it wuldnt be unusual if its a bit before another pee but if he was on iv fluids he will pee more until it runs its course.

All you can do is try the best you can. You are not a bad mommy!! STOP that!! You are here looking for answers!! Thats more than most people do...sadly this is true..welcome to our corner of the 'net!

danitaielle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: Tintin has peed a few times and definitely acting like his old self! Mommy might actually get some sleep tonight. I'm planning on making Tintin a wet food only kitty, and switching my girls as soon as we are out of dry food. We have a dose of pain medication coming up soon, I'm nervous about that!

The other thing is that my 3 cats sleep in a bedroom at night, but my 2 girls have been hissing and growling at Tintin since he got home. So I put them in their room. I'm nervous about having him stay in the room tonight, but the little bugger eats cords, so I don't like leaving him alone near electronics. Any advice or ideas?

Also, I figured out how to add pictures to my profile. So you all can see the little (huge) boy youve been all helping!

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yay!! We love lots of pee! Tintin is such a handsome man. Il more than a little smitten [emoji]128571[/emoji]

I bet your girls don't "recognize" Tintin because he smells like the vet. I have rad other threads on this forum about this type of aggression. I think it might be called "redirected agression". Try searching that and see what comes up. Hopefully, someone who has expirence with this type of issue will come along and give you advice.

Good luck with the pain med!

danitaielle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I bet your girls don't "recognize" Tintin because he smells like the vet. I have rad other threads on this forum about this type of aggression. I think it might be called "redirected agression". Try searching that and see what comes up. Hopefully, someone who has expirence with this type of issue will come along and give you advice.

Good luck with the pain med!
I'll look it up! Thank you so much!

margd

Veteran
Purraise
Tintin is a black kitty!  As the mom to a black kitty myself, I have a special love for them.  

The girls are probably hissing and growling at Tintin because he smells like the vet instead of his usual self.  Try rubbing them all with a sock to swap scents.   The "vanilla trick" is another method that helps the stay at home cats remember the poor soul returning from the vet.  This link is old, but it's still applicable:  http://www.thecatsite.com/t/24962/what-is-the-vanilla-extract-perfume-trick

To stop Tintin from chewing on electrical cords, try spraying the cables with bitter apple.  Here's the link to amazon but you can get it at retail pet stores as well..     If that doesn't work, there are cable protectors that help protect electrical wires and cables:  
Great news that Tintin is peeing like he should!  
  (We get excited at the strangest things around here!)

Last edited:

danitaielle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hear you there. I've never been so excited to clean a litter box before! I'm going to try the sock trick. I feel bad because he clearly missed them and they are not being nice. Luckily his dog sister was so happy to see him and welcomed him home with lots of love.