Words that you can't pronounce

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, when I met friends online in person, they were hard to understand at first, Mark (new at this site) was hard at first, but I have been around him more, so I understand him better now. He is from the north (the Pocono's), but I don't know where that is.

And I think some of them had a hard time understanding me too cause I am from the south, and I supposedly have an accent too.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One time I spoke with Neet on the phone, and I laughed so hard at her accent..It sooooooooo does not suit her..
I pictured her sounding all gruff and angry...but she sounds so sweet and cute and innocent..(ya right)

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

One time I spoke with Neet on the phone, and I laughed so hard at her accent..It sooooooooo does not suit her..
I pictured her sounding all gruff and angry...but she sounds so sweet and cute and innocent..(ya right)
Innocent? Are you kidding me or what? Innocent?

I almost fell out of my chair just now

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I absolutely cannot, and never have been able to say: Cinnamon
I just can't.. It comes out at best sim-a-na-nim-a-min.. I add too many "nn" and it just get's all screwy. And go figure my brother would name his cat that! What a dope!

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

My grandfather used to call butterflies "flutterbyes" so I still have a hard time calling them butterflies! Maybe they were related?
Sometime ago I read they were originally called "flutterbyes". Will have to check the etymology of it sometime. (Right now I'm too busy reading and posting.
)

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Yah, its pronounced Sunday but with an H
I've been saying "hi-un-day" my whole life.

I used to have this big list of words I can't say, but all I can think of right now is "rural" and "fifth".

One of my brothers and my mom have speech impediments. When my brother was little, he had to take something to school for show and tell. He brought a wooden firetruck that my dad had made. Well, because of his speech impediment he said, "I have a fire f***!"

My mom can't say "whole almonds", it comes out as "hoy oyms".

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Wildflower79

It sounds simple but for some reason the word Jewelry always messes me up. I seriously have to say the word slowly otherwise it comes out sounding completely screwy.
A-ha! The worst word in the English language, IMO. I say "joolry" but sometimes it comes out in a garbled mess. I really don't like saying jewelry.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by PurrPaws

How about mirror? I say it one syllable "meer." Like the first syllable in meerkat.
I say it meerr... there's no vowel between the two r's, but there are two r's there. At least, I think there are, but the spectrograph of the way I say it would beg to differ
What about nearer, clearer, etc?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I've always pronounced it col-ander. I would think a co-lander would be the person landing with another person.
Apparently there are people landing with other people in the shelter cats cages, then! ROFL
My entire family says co-lander, too!

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
White Cat Lover, and other Minnesotans--

The colander made me think of this. What exactly do you think of as beans and rice? Visiting family in the Cities, when they ask you if you want beans and rice, and you do, you get a pile of white rice on your plate with steamed green beans on top. Being from Ohio, we were expecting black or red beans mixed with rice, probably some sort of spicy sauce in there... Is that just my crazy Scandinavian family, or is that was beans and rice are in Minnesota?

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

I say it meerr... there's no vowel between the two r's, but there are two r's there. At least, I think there are, but the spectrograph of the way I say it would beg to differ
What about nearer, clearer, etc?
When I say nearer and clearer, they have two syllables, but for some reason, mirror has only one

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

White Cat Lover, and other Minnesotans--

The colander made me think of this. What exactly do you think of as beans and rice? Visiting family in the Cities, when they ask you if you want beans and rice, and you do, you get a pile of white rice on your plate with steamed green beans on top. Being from Ohio, we were expecting black or red beans mixed with rice, probably some sort of spicy sauce in there... Is that just my crazy Scandinavian family, or is that was beans and rice are in Minnesota?
Call me a backwoods country gal, but beans & rice are white rice & a can of Pork N Beans. We never go for anything fancy....

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oooo here's another one I have difficulty pronouncing:

Rear Wheel Drive.

Say that one 5 times fast