Words that you can't pronounce

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

It is HUNDAY though...One of my clients owns a dealerhip and he corrected me one day when I said hy-un-dai..
In Australia it's Hy-un-day. There's a few car brands that are pronounced differently around the world. Subaru is another one.

The word I always stumble over is sausages. There's too many S' in there. I had a bit of a stutter whenI was a kid, and occasionally some words trip me up still - and sausages always does it. It generally takes me 2 or 3 goes to get it out.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

OK, maybe you guys can solve an argument!

Is it "Co-lander" or "Col-ander"(like a strainer)? I was talking to my friend last night & I say "co-lander". She looked at me really funny & said "You mane 'col-ander'? As in a strainer?". I've always said "co-lander"! Am I wrong?

This thread has proven to be immensly funny. I never knew about aluminum/aluminium...now I'm not sure I spelled that right either time!
Down here in the South we say COL ander, at least the southerners, I have heard say it.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
My husband has lost hearing in one ear and if I am on that side, he doesn't always hear me correctly. Something I said didn't make sense to him and he asked what I meant by something, something soliloquy. I then tried to say that I didn't say something, something soliloquy but for the life of me, I couldn't pronounce soliloquy correctly that night after several attempts. The syllables were all messed up. At least I won the argument. There is no way I could have said soliloquy because I couldn't pronounce it.

My pet peeve is when tourist is mispronounced. Instead of too rist, they said tor risit.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

OK, maybe you guys can solve an argument!

Is it "Co-lander" or "Col-ander"(like a strainer)? I was talking to my friend last night & I say "co-lander". She looked at me really funny & said "You mane 'col-ander'? As in a strainer?". I've always said "co-lander"! Am I wrong?

This thread has proven to be immensly funny. I never knew about aluminum/aluminium...now I'm not sure I spelled that right either time!
I've always pronounced it col-ander. I would think a co-lander would be the person landing with another person.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I've always pronounced it col-ander. I would think a co-lander would be the person landing with another person.

How about the people that say "Pitcher" instead of "Picture".

My aunts and uncles say that it fully annoys me. "I hung the pitcher on the wall".

The water pitcher? The baseball pitcher? OH! The PICTURE!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can across a word yesterday new to me and I am not sure how to pronounce it ....... "habitional"-is was on a geanological website explaining where Surnames cam from.

For Fran- Its Wisconsin (We-SCON-sin) to use natives its an Native American Indian word that I supposed I learned somewhere along the way what it means.
The word I have problems with the Chiropractor- I alway say Choir-practor!!

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought of another one. I say gover-mint, without the end.

And which is correct "q-pon" or "coo-pon" for coupon?" I say q-pon.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Originally Posted by PurrPaws

Thats a good one! I say Q-pon my Mother says coo pon ...... and it always makes me die out laughing ......she calls window ...... winda
she always makes me laugh with her words

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

My niece, having owned one, says "junk".
I agree

Originally Posted by sarahp

In Australia it's Hy-un-day. There's a few car brands that are pronounced differently around the world. Subaru is another one.
How do you say Subaru?

Originally Posted by lunasmom

How about the people that say "Pitcher" instead of "Picture".My aunts and uncles say that it fully annoys me. "I hung the pitcher on the wall". The water pitcher? The baseball pitcher? OH! The PICTURE!
LOL, That is a good one...

I pronounce it "q-pon". Not because I can't pronounce coo pon, just cause I don't like the way coo pon sounds

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

I agree

How do you say Subaru?

LOL, That is a good one...

I pronounce it "q-pon". Not because I can't pronounce coo pon, just cause I don't like the way coo pon sounds
Q-pon???? Now that sounds silly!!!

In New Zealand they say Su-baaar-oo. In Australia we say su-ba-ru.

Over here in the US it's Nee-san (Nissan), and in Australia it's said how it's spelt - Niss-an.

And over here it's Maaaz-da, and we just say Maz-da.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Q-pon???? Now that sounds silly!!!

In New Zealand they say Su-baaar-oo. In Australia we say su-ba-ru.

Over here in the US it's Nee-san (Nissan), and in Australia it's said how it's spelt - Niss-an.

And over here it's Maaaz-da, and we just say Maz-da.
Yeah it pretty much is said all thos ways here too
I think people just pronounce things differently..but no way is really wrong..

lakeriedog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There are a few words that I learned to mispronounce at home because my parents are deaf and they mispronounce some words. One is Pot Pour-ee(potpourri), another is Quasi Dilla (quesadilla)...

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

My grandfather used to call that "balking tackwards" and we used to do it on purpose when I was a little girl, LOL. I grew up eating been greans and dot hogs.
My grandfather used to call butterflies "flutterbyes" so I still have a hard time calling them butterflies! Maybe they were related?

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think some of it depends on where you were raised. Everyone around here pronances wash "warsh"...as in, I'm going to do the warshing. We're going to Warshington DC. It took me years to get out of that. The only word I can think of that I have trouble with is expedite (sp?). At my job we have to expedite processing sometimes, and it always comes out as ex-PE-dite instead of EX-pe-dite. I think I've seen too many expedite.com commercials!

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I say pitcher and picture the same
Most people who grew up around me do.

And a colander is said, by me, something like CALL-inder, and I wouldn't know what someone was asking for either if they said co-lander.

Cyupon and coopon are both "correct". Some dialects put that "y" in lots of words, like there'd be a store called the "Dyuke and Duchess" but mostly nobody notices those other "y"s.

Also guilty of the "warsh". My father does it invariably, "Warshinton" or "warshrag", and sometimes I hear it come out of my own mouth that way.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

I think some of it depends on where you were raised. Everyone around here pronances wash "warsh"...as in, I'm going to do the warshing. We're going to Warshington DC. It took me years to get out of that. The only word I can think of that I have trouble with is expedite (sp?). At my job we have to expedite processing sometimes, and it always comes out as ex-PE-dite instead of EX-pe-dite. I think I've seen too many expedite.com commercials!
I used to do that all the time until my daughter DesirÃ[emoji]169[/emoji]e kept getting on to me, she is a speech pathologist, and she couldn't stand it.

Now I say waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaash, it drives her crazy still.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Me and a good friend say koopun, just to be funny.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think this thread is so interesting. How we allllll say things so differently. It would really be fun if we all got together..there would be accents everywhere, and people saying weird things..It would be GREAT