Will Persi go to jail? Is he truly a vicious animal?

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess I'm lucky the county of L.A. is lazy and underfunded because I've been in the ER twice with cat bites from stray cats and both were reported and NOTHING followed. One was just a kitten and was actually in the vets office for her shots when a big dog walked in. I picked her up, but she panicked and I got very bloody. The other had no records of any kind. No records of any vet visits at all. I got an infection, but no calls from Animal Control.

crt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness. I am so sorry you have gone through such a nightmare. I've been following this thread closely because a similar incident happend to me about a month ago. I live in Texas. My cat freaked out and went totally balistic when her leash got tangled up in a plant on my balcony. My leg was in the line of fire. She was only trying to free herself. I too went to the ER the following day but luckily I truly thought she had gouged me with her claws. When I explained how it happened nothing further was said about having to report it. I didn't know anything about the quarantine law until I found a thread about in on this site.

I ended up with a major infection which took almost the whole month to get rid of, so please take care of yourself. Once I realized it was a bite, my Dr. said it was MY cat and the bite was not intentional, so she didn't report it. I was very lucky. Lots of hugs for you.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is the law and practised here too, we have often had cats at the shelter on quarantine (we can self quarantine since they are caged and all have up to date shots) for much more minor scratches. They only time Public Health fusses is if the shots, particularly rabies, are out of date.

I am sure if you were the maid working, and the person was of no fixed abode and could disappear with the cat and you would never know if it did have rabies, which can take 10 days to show signs of - the reason for the 10 day quarantine - you would feel better knowing the cat was quarantined.

As far as the grooming etc, it is something that will have to be dealt with, but if the laws are like here, I wouldn't fuss about getting a lawyer to pay for the quarantine and grooming because the city can turn around and fine you for having a vicious cat that is a danger to people (or in one case I know of recommend the cat be PTS and then checked for rabies)

miao_kitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OMG...This is so bizarre. I hope everything will work out (or has it? I haven't gotten through the whole thread yet.) I think it's really really weird that even though this is your animal you still have to file a vicious animal report. I mean...kinda messed up. I can't even understand why that applies. Anyways, sending lots of for you and yours!

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG this must be the longest 10 days of your life!! I hate the fact that no matter what you do, the dr's give you a tetnis shot! Darn thing hurts! I got bit by a MaCaw last summer (trust me, it was my own fault, like usual I ignored the do not feed sign) and they gave me one then even tho I had just had one! They didn't do anything to the beautiful bird, I took the fault, and the Dr's bill which did serve me right. Im so sorry you're going through this right now! They just dont understand how hard it must be for poor persi to be in a strange environment and held differently than use too!! I can't beleive he's going to forever have the title of "vicious animal" that is just too weird! I guess with all the blood loss though, you never know what someone would do if they saw you like that! Keep us updated!! Have you seen him?? Is he okay?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by glitch

OMG this must be the longest 10 days of your life!! I hate the fact that no matter what you do, the dr's give you a tetnis shot! Darn thing hurts! I got bit by a MaCaw last summer (trust me, it was my own fault, like usual I ignored the do not feed sign) and they gave me one then even tho I had just had one! They didn't do anything to the beautiful bird, I took the fault, and the Dr's bill which did serve me right. Im so sorry you're going through this right now! They just dont understand how hard it must be for poor persi to be in a strange environment and held differently than use too!! I can't beleive he's going to forever have the title of "vicious animal" that is just too weird! I guess with all the blood loss though, you never know what someone would do if they saw you like that! Keep us updated!! Have you seen him?? Is he okay?
There are two things to attend to today:

Close and sign the final papers on our brand new home.

Go see Persi.

If you have any trouble whatsoever identifying which one will happen first...

Alley spends most of her time looking for Persi, they are true snugglebuddies. But, Alley suggested the other night that perhaps we should try and change my username to Alley & Persi. These cats will just take advantage of any little opportunity...

I went to see Persi Tuesday and took movies. I was thinking of posting them to You Tube but DW asked me would that not be akin to taking a camera to a funeral? Scratch that idea. 5 more days. Half way there. They are counting from the day I was bit rather than the day (next) I took him to the vet. We are moving into the new home Monday so Alley will have two days to explore without Persi.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Halfway there!

At least it is almost over. Just be prepared that there might be some fuss with Persi and Alley when he comes back, since he will smell like the vet's office and everything, not to mention being in a new house.

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I've been thinking about how poor Alley's been doing too! Has to be hard on her as well, wondering what's going on and where Pers went.

Hopefully the last 5 days goes by faster than the first! And congrats and good luck on the closing of your new home!!!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

...Alley spends most of her time looking for Persi, they are true snugglebuddies. But, Alley suggested the other night that perhaps we should try and change my username to Alley & Persi. These cats will just take advantage of any little opportunity...

Lee, I just now figured out that when you mentioned "jail" in the Lounge, you weren't talking about a stay at the vet's. I'm so sorry for all you've gone through with this -- I can only guess at the emotional turmoil it must be causing. Thank goodness you weren't forced to entrust Persi to strangers, at least!

So did they issue Persi a little orange jumpsuit?

tutti_bella

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Looney me missed this whole thread. Sheesh! Lee, how's dear Persi holding up now?

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Is Persi out yet? I missed Nova a whole lot when I had to go away for just 5 days.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry that Persi had to go to jail.

If I had been in that situation, I would have just cleaned the room myself. If I knew that the cats would get stressed, I would have tried to keep them happy. Only you know how the cats get.

I have a dog named Opie that has issues. Opie found our home 6 years ago, we think he had been abused by his former owners. Anyways I know certain things that stress him out, so I avoid those things at all cost.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First and foremost, Texas is notorious for having laws that do not fit most situations or do not protect the people who need it most.

That being said, I'm sorry this happened to Persi! Having persians myself, I know all to well the grooming demands.

This has happened in our family on two occassions. The first time, my mom was bitten in the finger by Precious, who had kittens and saw an intruder outside. She was just trying to protect her babies and my mom just happened to be there at the wrong time. Her finger got so infected that she had to go to the doctor and he wanted to file a report because her finger ended up getting sliced open so the pus could be drained.

My mother refused to even allow the report and said if it went through, she would never give the cat over. We never did.

The second time was when we had two males, one neutered and the other wasn't. They constantly fought so I had to keep them seperated. When I switched them out one time, Tedi saw the other and instead of biting Sebastian, I stuck my leg out so he bit me instead. He left two deep hole punctures in my calf barely missing my tendons. This was through sweat pants. I limped for a week.

I could not even imagine someone taking any of our cats away. This is uncalled for, but then again, this is Texas and they seem to lack common sense most of the time.

I hope that Persi comes home and is able to adapt after this horrific experience. Keep us posted!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Persi is free.

I hope that you feel better quickly Lee.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow! I didn't know about this till Carol Petunia posted in the lounge.
Holy cow! Poor Persi, and how traumatic for his humans too. I'm glad to hear he's free now, and I hope he's doing OK.