Will Persi go to jail? Is he truly a vicious animal?

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Duchess15

First and foremost, Texas is notorious for having laws that do not fit most situations or do not protect the people who need it most.

I could not even imagine someone taking any of our cats away. This is uncalled for, but then again, this is Texas and they seem to lack common sense most of the time.
In my opinion, Texas has some of the most sensible laws in the country. However, I think if you went through the books here, I suspect you could find a spate of laws passed for special events or situations that remain long after the necessity is gone.

Just as an example of our good laws, we have very stringent laws protecting your homestead and your marriage. Those laws were passed to keep the husband from gambling away or mortgaging the house or ranch without a good reason, and to keep men for treating women as property. Until very recently, you could not increase the indebtedness on your house unless you made actual improvements to it. No second lien mortgages, cash-out refinances, etc. Had that law not been repealed, Texas would have been almost completely immune to the current sub-prime problems. Also, a woman has the right to 1/2 of her husband's property in the case of divorce (or death). And in Texas, if you ever represent yourself as married, you are. If either party thinks you're married, you are.

In the particular instance of Persi, it should be noted that had it not been Lee's cat, it would have had to be quarantined or killed and checked for rabies, which would be a good thing...for Lee. Had Lee been living at his own residence, all he would have had to do is keep Persi quarantined to his home, which he would have been doing anyway. The unique situation of an ER report and the hotel as residence is what put this one in the "odd" category, and even at that, they allowed Lee to have the cat quarantined at his own vet's location.

Sorry, but while it's a traumatic experience, I think the law and the way it treated Lee was just about spot on.

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

And in Texas, if you ever represent yourself as married, you are. If either party thinks you're married, you are.
Bit of a tangent, but that doesn't sound sensible to me. So someone could just say he was married to you, without a marriage license, and the law would support him? Married without your consent?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emmylou

Bit of a tangent, but that doesn't sound sensible to me. So someone could just say he was married to you, without a marriage license, and the law would support him? Married without your consent?
actually, i think it's the plural of 'you'... i.e., if a couple presents themselves as married [even if they aren't] then they're considered married - common law marriage. also applies if a couple is living together - this is also considered common law marriage. no divorce needed, tho, i don't think!