Why don't B&W's or Black Cats get adopted?

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Anyone in the PNW that would like to adopt a black kitten- here are a few of a recent litter that were dumped into a dumpster. They are now 4 months old, getting neutered in two weeks and they are sociable with cats, people and dog, litter pan trained and loving, wonderful kittens. 2 females and 3 males are still available-

PM me if you are interested

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mimosa

Like others have already said, I think people are drawn to cats that stand out by their looks. A black cat is like a blank canvas, no markings to draw the eye.
When we got two black foster kittens this summer we just kept thinking someone would be very lucky to have them because they had such great temperaments. I hoped for people who would look for such a good character in stead of a special color.
But I still I kept taking insane amount of pictures because I know pictures do "sell", but they were indeed hard to photograph.

Pics which show how affectionate and cute they were are also good of course:
Awwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!1

wedbby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I visited a Petsmart not too long ago and they had all black cats for adoption and they also had a sign saying they were hard to place especially with October coming up! After that I told myself my next kitty would be a black one and though at the time I couldnt get one there I found another one and once I brought him home I've noticed a little white under his chin but I just love hiiiim! Hes such a sweetheart.

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
ill find my memory card reader and ill put some new ones up of sooty

atm hes lyinh next to me waiting to get my chicken from my stir fry little bugger hehe

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah it wont be long before we put a hold on all adoptions for Halloween
especially people who are suddenly interested in black cats unless they are people we know well

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was working at the local no kill cat shelter today and counted how many black and b&w cats there were. A total of 35 and there are 90 cats total there. Also lots of dark grays and other darker colors.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The shelter from which I adopted occasionally runs 'specials' on black cats, because they aren't adopted as often. Funny to me - my girl is a solid grey and my boy is solid black - and I wouldn't trade them for anything. Although I admit calicos have caught my eye....

A shelter worker told me she believed black neutered males are the friendlist of cats - I know my guy is certainly a lover boy.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not including kittens, because they are adopted so much quicker, this is the number of each colour (all the major ones included for comparison) at our shelter

9 Grey
6 Black
12 Tabby (grey or brown)
3 White
8 Orange (or with white)
8 Black and White
6 Tabby and white
5 Grey and white
8 calico / torti / torbi / tabbico
1 Himi (flame point)
2 Siamese (1 blue point one chocolate point)

I dont have stats for the ones in boarding / foster at home

Looking at the long termers, one is black but also had some medical problems so not sure how much of the time she was with us that she was actually up for adoption, but they are all less adoptable for age / temperment or medical issues rather than colour

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here at the shelter we have:

2 torbies
1 calico
8 torties
1 orange
6 grey
4 buff
4 white (!!!! 2 are feral kittens)
1 grey/white
9 black/brown tabbies
11 solid black
8 black/white
4 orange/white
6 black/brown tabby with white
4 grey tabby

1 white persian
1 siamese-ish looking DMH/DLH
1 siamese looking kitten

Plus in one foster home we have 2 grey, 4 black, 2 white/grey, & 4 black/brown tabby. I know I have 1 black kitten - I think another foster has 5 black or black/white kittens. Another foster has 3 black/brown tabby & 1 black. Plus I think we have 6 or 8 cats in a foster home that I don't know what look like (I think all torties, black, or tabby & white).....and then we got like 25 cats from a hoarder at another place - either torties, torbies, black, orange, or siamese looking.

The longer term kitties are black "middle aged" kittens who've grown up in cages, torties who are the same, or adult torties.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Here at the shelter we have:

2 torbies
1 calico
8 torties
1 orange
6 grey
4 buff
4 white (!!!! 2 are feral kittens)
1 grey/white
9 black/brown tabbies
11 solid black
8 black/white
4 orange/white
6 black/brown tabby with white
4 grey tabby

1 white persian
1 siamese-ish looking DMH/DLH
1 siamese looking kitten

Plus in one foster home we have 2 grey, 4 black, 2 white/grey, & 4 black/brown tabby. I know I have 1 black kitten - I think another foster has 5 black or black/white kittens. Another foster has 3 black/brown tabby & 1 black. Plus I think we have 6 or 8 cats in a foster home that I don't know what look like (I think all torties, black, or tabby & white).....and then we got like 25 cats from a hoarder at another place - either torties, torbies, black, orange, or siamese looking.

The longer term kitties are black "middle aged" kittens who've grown up in cages, torties who are the same, or adult torties.
Black, B/W and torties - harder to place. Plain brown tabbies - follow a close second.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never had a problem placing a torti unless special needs, people around her love them and dilute tortis, I rarely both putting on the website because I usually take them back down the same day.

of my 8 calico / torti / torbi / tabbico

2 (1 calico 1 torbie) are special needs
1 calico is senior
2 had URI and are only just available now and being shown
The other three just came in and one was already adopted today

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

I have never had a problem placing a torti unless special needs, people around her love them and dilute tortis, I rarely both putting on the website because I usually take them back down the same day.

of my 8 calico / torti / torbi / tabbico

2 (1 calico 1 torbie) are special needs
1 calico is senior
2 had URI and are only just available now and being shown
The other three just came in and one was already adopted today
Around here - yes - torties are hard to place. Right up there with black.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good god - we have a medium to long hair shy tortie with the most piercing green eyes we've had for 6 months now.....I have no idea what we're going to do with her, we've had one person really interested in her.
I'd kill to be able to adopt out some of these torties!

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Black cats are an issue here too, although we dont have that many at the rescue I think, the bulk of ours are torties, but at least 3 of those are ferals that hate people. I absolutely adore pure blacks, one of my girls is pure black and I adore her - I currently have a black foster cat too, they are just so sleek and gorgeous. I'm not quite as keen on some of the black and whites though, I prefer white and blacks - anything with mainly white really draws my eye for some reason. We have a stunning black girl at the rescue, she has some lovely ghost markings, and really soft fur, but she has been with us for months - although looking at her website pic, it really doesn't do her justice, will see if the one I took is any better. i dont think we have any problem adopting tabbies out, most people love them round here (they are another of my favourites), and gingers rarely stay with us for long. I am not keen on torties, and the only reason I own one is cos the rescue decided she could stay, I wouldnt have kept her.

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TJN66

I never used to pay much attention to calico's for some reason. Then when we took Pudgie (tortie) I think she spoiled me for other markings lol...now I look at the dark and torties first! They have such personalities. Tortitude!
I totally agree. Yeah! Tortitude!
We got one calico/patch tabby who was awesome, then another, now I have a true calico...

samhainborn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I somtimes think it takes special people to truly love a black or darker colored kitty. I also think it's a matter of shedding. A lot of people don't like black cats because their shed fur stands out so much on everything from the floor to the furniture.

Loudmouth's last liter had 7 kittens, and within 2 hours of advertising, I had a home for everyone of them except the black one. Not that I minded that too much. I fell in love with little Smudgie, as had my husband over the webcam in Afghanistan. I have a b/w tux, as well.

Of course, my furniture is all black microsuede, and my husband and I tend to gravitate towards black clothing, as well, so for us, Black kitties are almost a Must. :-) I would not dream of bringing a ginger colored or white cat into my black living room! Disaster! :-)

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

Anyone in the PNW that would like to adopt a black kitten- here are a few of a recent litter that were dumped into a dumpster. They are now 4 months old, getting neutered in two weeks and they are sociable with cats, people and dog, litter pan trained and loving, wonderful kittens. 2 females and 3 males are still available-

PM me if you are interested

Sending vibes that all black kitties find loving homes this season.

Here are a group of sweet rescues that need homes.
Come and get 'em.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mtbee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I never thought my initial post would bring in so many B&W and Black kittie Lovers and owners!
I am happy to hear that.

Killerapple - BATMAN is beautiful!
Sleek and shiney and those eyes ugg, love them!

Nekochan - Roxy is stunning! Look at that face!

Clixpix - Your Black kitty, are those Orange eyes really his natural color?

Mimosa and Hissy - Cutie Patooties you both have as well!!

Everyone in my family who have adopted from shelters come home with a B or B&W, they have the best personalities. Not saying other colors don't but these colors never seem to get a fair shake at showing people what they are about.

I specifically go for B&W's. No kitty is bad luck!

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
my sooty

how could you not fall in love with this

with his big sis

some of my friends are scared of him because he is all black, but hes more scared of them than them of him