Why don't B&W's or Black Cats get adopted?

snuggy's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nekochan

Roxy is special, she is solid black with gold eyes, polydactyl, and was born the day before Halloween.

Here is Roxy:

Wow, Roxy is GORGEOUS!!!!

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Funny this thread should come up today. I ran across a colony of ferals today that were black, white, and black and white. Not a gray, orange, or any kind of tabby among the ones that I saw. There were 15-20 of them, just beautiful. They all came and peeked at me when I pulled up to pick up the lady I was taking to work in my cab. The people in the trailer park where I saw them take care of them. She said they are pretty friendly for strays, and some of them have been neutered or spayed.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Over here black cats, or bi colours always go first. It's tabbies and longhairs that are last to be adopted.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As I was scrolling thru the thread, DH noticed the picture of Roxie and asked if that was Muddy. So I explained the question in the thread - why are black cats hard to adopt out. His response? "cause they're so darn cute!". He loves our Muddy and Koko.

I don't get it either. When we adopted our last dog, the shelters were surprised when we told them we were looking for the big black dog that everyone else passes up. Yes, their hair shows up more than my red cats and dogs, and no, they don't photograph well, but WHO CARES!?!?!?!?

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Personally i think if i didnt take sooty i think the person that had had the kittens would of had trouble finding a home for him. as soon as i clapped eyes on him he was to be mine and a little story from tonight, i went shopping i was out an hour i came back sooty was waiting for me at the door and jumped up for a cuddle and head nudges kisses the whole kitandkabodle hows that evil

my friends tux is exactly the same whes more black then white and so loving

my first choice will always be a black kitty

tjn66

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We now have 4 cats. One is a tortie...very dark but shes a luv bug. Our other is a big black cat that we specifically went to the shelter to find. I asked for a male, that might not ever be adopted. Out of a small two by two cage they brought out the most perfect long haired black boy weighing 11 pounds at 9 months old.

He was born at the shelter and had been there all that time. Hubby picked him up and he just purred and layed limp in his arms and stretched his front paws out to me. "Thats the one and we'll take him." The shelter was so happy. He was the most overlooked cat they had. He is so layed back and mellow lol..nothing bothers him. He plays with my german shepherd and acts like he's a dog!

Our other cat is a long haired 8 year old tabby that was a stray and starving in a town close to us. Walked into petsmart and they were having a special event with cats that day. Hubby walked over and she layed her head in his hand and fell asleep. Took her home too. She's gray/white and black. We were looking at the kitten's after we had filled out the paperwork for her, just playing with them and the lady said oh please dont change your mind. She'll never get adopted.
Nope..no way. Sadie is the greeter here. Loves everyone and likes to be in the thick of things!
I have got to figure out how to post some pics!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are lucky with black and whites, they actually do go fairly quickly and the blacks we have in the shelter have not been with us too long but they are slower to be picked than the others. The ones we have had longer - A siamese with tabby markings with piercing blue eyes, a torbie and two whites.

It helps that a lot of our blacks been long-haired as they go a little quicker than the shorthaired blacks but I think most people do choose on personality but they are not willing to even meet the black ones

killerapple

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I hope what I said wasn't misinterpreted - I sure don't care that Batman is hard to photograph. I just wonder if that is another issue with adoptions because their online cat profiles might not have the best pictures.

My sister in law has a black dog - it's such a wonderful family dog and so loving, but she can 'look' scary because she's a big black dog. She was a sweet pup from the pound.

I know some people who prefer black kitties because they are so elegant looking and pretty. I tend to think all kitties are pretty...

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Most of the farm cats are darker colored.

The three I recently rescued are B&W and black. Sadly their owner got evicted and just left their cats after putting them outside. The owner of the house was going to use them as target practice...No way was that gonna happen
I really want to keep the two B&W boys but the black girl can't stay at the farm as she needs to be an only cat. She sees another cat and will try to bite the person holding her.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My most recent group of foster kittens are 5 kittens from two litters. The slightly older litter originally had 4...the two "better marked" kittens went quickly, leaving the tortie and the patched tabby behind. Those two girls developed the most loving personalities I have ever seen. Ever. The other three I have are from a litter taken from a hoarder's house. They were completely unsocialized. But they're beautiful kittens. Everybody calls for them, but when they meet them, they're too shy. They won't even give a look at the tortie and patched tabby (not the most distinct tabby pattern). One time the tortie curled up on this girl's lap, and I don't think she even noticed. She certainly didn't pet her. She left and never called because the "prettier" one they wanted wasn't quite friendly enough.

Just the other night a couple came to look at the "prettier" kittens...they really wanted to love them, and they did appreciate them, but the "less pretty" kittens (and 5 months old to boot) put on a show! They climbed all over them, jumped up on their shoulders, showed their bellies, and purred the whole time. Needless to say, they won the day, and just today those kittens finally went to their new home after 5 months of being overlooked!

Here are the lucky girls!

Also, I try to help out by taking pictures of foster babies in other homes. Yes, the black and torties are so hard to get just right. I have to show off one picture I took. I took so many of him to try to get him just right. He's a stunning boy with copper-penny colored eyes. And yes, shortly after I took pics of him and his sister, they were adopted!
Isn't he stunning?

jupeycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Most of the feral kittens we had in last year were black or black and white, they were hard to home. I talked to a lady on the phone who wanted a kitten, she said she didn't want either of those colours so she didn't get a kitten!

When we went to adopt Jupey, there was a gorgeous silver tabby, he was a lovely kitten but I still chose to bring home the scruffy one because I just knew I had to and it's thanks to him that I became involved in cat rescue.

Jupey, the day before we brought him home - with ringworm, fleas and cat flu:

Jupey at 6 months:

Beautiful Jupey now:

It's a type of racism really, people should be going for personality not looks. Black kitties certainly aren't all the same except for that they are all beautiful!

I always get a bit nervous around Halloween, I hate to read the stories of the black kitties that are bought and then given up or worse yet, the ones that are abused

cjh27

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I use to volunteer at a shelter and I do think that many people want something special. Red is very popular for some reason.

Hardest to rehome are the all black cats or tigers with no white- just plain ol cats.

Speaking of wanting special cats- three legged cats, bild or deaf cats were easier to rehome as long as the cat was otherwise healthy and friendly. You'd have women in the shelter hell bent on "saving" a disabled cat to save it form being put down because nobody else would want it- regardless of the fact that it was a no- kill shelter which had just paid for the cat to get fixed up by the vets

The same ladies would walk right past a black cat ....

One of the shelter's staff joked that they'd be better off amputating legs to get the black ones adopted out.

regards,

christine

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cjh27

Hi,

I use to volunteer at a shelter and I do think that many people want something special. Red is very popular for some reason.

Hardest to rehome are the all black cats or tigers with no white- just plain ol cats.

Speaking of wanting special cats- three legged cats, bild or deaf cats were easier to rehome as long as the cat was otherwise healthy and friendly. You'd have women in the shelter hell bent on "saving" a disabled cat to save it form being put down because nobody else would want it- regardless of the fact that it was a no- kill shelter which had just paid for the cat to get fixed up by the vets

The same ladies would walk right past a black cat ....

One of the shelter's staff joked that they'd be better off amputating legs to get the black ones adopted out.

regards,

christine
Yes - I understand what you are saying. And I love black kitties. I love them all and I also encourage people to choose based on personality, but most people won't listen.

jupeycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yep, when I was fostering Meg, I was told that she wouldn't have a problem finding a home because people would feel sorry for her or be morbidly curious. Nobody else had a chance of adopting her though, she was meant to be with us!

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am dying to get an all black kitty or atleast a b&w kittie..GiGi has black in her tabby markings but a caramel brown is starting to become prominent so Im working very very hard to convince Bf we NEEEEEEDDDDD to rescue a older black kitty and open our hearts up and give some deserving kitty a home!!!!! But man I would sell a kidney to have him let me get an all black kitty but right now hes saying we are at our limit

mimosa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Like others have already said, I think people are drawn to cats that stand out by their looks. A black cat is like a blank canvas, no markings to draw the eye.
When we got two black foster kittens this summer we just kept thinking someone would be very lucky to have them because they had such great temperaments. I hoped for people who would look for such a good character in stead of a special color.
But I still I kept taking insane amount of pictures because I know pictures do "sell", but they were indeed hard to photograph.

Pics which show how affectionate and cute they were are also good of course:

tjn66

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh my..that black kitten in his back has got to be one of the cutest pics I have ever seen!

I never used to pay much attention to calico's for some reason. Then when we took Pudgie (tortie) I think she spoiled me for other markings lol...now I look at the dark and torties first! They have such personalities. Tortitude!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
out of my...13?
cats that I have now, 5 are solid black and 3 are black and white. They are all very sweet kitties. I don't have a choice when it comes to my cats, but if I do get to choose, I would always choose personality

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mimosa

Like others have already said, I think people are drawn to cats that stand out by their looks. A black cat is like a blank canvas, no markings to draw the eye.
(emphasis added). This really jumped out at me. I think it's also harder to "see" the personality in a black cat. Flowerbelle is white - and she has a very expressive face and it all "jumps" out at you. Ming Loy and Billy - both with basically black faces (Billy has a cloverleaf of white around his nose) are much harder to "read" - or often even SEE - their expressions.

And BTW - all of these black kitty photos are insanely cute!

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by killerapple

I tend to think all kitties are pretty...
Me too, especially now since I'm older.

re: black cats, sometimes i think the shorthaired ones look like little panthers!