Why don't B&W's or Black Cats get adopted?

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Hmmm....that is something to consider. See if we cannot promote black cats as a whole "lump group" based on color.
Yeah, and in such a way that wouldn't be saying "We're trying hard to get rid of our undesirable cats" but rather in a way that emphasizes the special beauty they have.

audiocat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Black cats...and black and white are my favorites. I've never understood how black cats are not desired.

Hard to photograph..yes...but just gorgeous.

boomerkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have a GORGEOUS black DLH at our shelter right now. Her eyes are a stunning bright copper color, and the plumage on her tail is profuse and silky. I totally love her.

http://198.171.93.116/availablePets.htm

This photo doesn't do her eyes justice. They glow orange.

Oops, you need to scroll down to "Button" on the bottom. Sorry

lilblu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I love black cats. My first one I got when I was nine. He wasn't my first choice but the cat I already had got along well with him so that's how I ended up with him. I'm very happy it worked out that way too, he was such an awesome cat.
The other two black cats I had were strays. But I don't want another black cat for a long time. Those three all died within two years of each other several years ago. I'm not ready for another black cat yet. If it was a pathetic stray I might take it in, but I'm not ready to adopt one from a shelter. But that's ok, I don't have anymore vacancies anyway.

I want to add that if I were to adopt a cat from a shelter it wouldn't be based on looks. I would choose one that no one else wanted that I could afford to care for. So I would pick the three legged cat or the one eyed cat, or the butt ugly cat over the cute kitten or long haired cat. I could never pick a cat based on looks. I would try to pick one based on personality and what just felt right. I don't understand people who pick a cat based on looks. Is that how you pick your spouse or friends?

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to laugh this week when a woman came in saying she wanted any adult cat, short hair and not black.

She had not had a cat for many years so we are always extra careful in helping them pick one that suits their lifestyle so as I was taking her through she asks about this medium haired black cat (full of personality and a real lap cat). She cuddled her and then we went through the rest of the shelter because she said oh she is lovely but she is black.

At the end of walking through the various cat rooms, we went back in to see another cat in the same room as the black one and she laughed and said 'I guess I am making a liar of myself, I really want the black one' and was afraid we would not adopt to her because her application had said she was looking for something different

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We've just had a black kitten come back from one of our off-site adoption cages at a vet's office. She was there for almost 2 months and no one showed any interest. I hope that isn't a show-stopper for her; she's really a nice cat, with a great personality.

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I almost adopted a black cat, but then I met Ollie. I didn't realize that black cats have issues when it comes to adoption?

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never realized I was such an unusual adoptive mother - my first cat was approximately 4 years old (picked up as a stray, so it was the vet's guess) and is solid grey (or blue, I guess). Three months later I adopted my boy - I was told to look for one about the same age, and I fell for him, and he's solid black. I was told lots of people pass up the solid colored cats, and black cats aren't 'popular'.

Also, most shelters will not adopt black cats out around Halloween, since there are some awful people out there. I got Dante right near the end of October, but the shelter thought I was safe, since my girl came from the same place and I must look like a very boring, safe 50+ lady.

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
i sat and had a conversation with my dad earlier and smooch his ginger cat does a variety of differnt faces as does my flash but Sotty doesnt but =.....ive worked out since having him how to tell hes in these differnt moods that smooch and flash show with out looking at facial expressions