When is my cat due?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

littlemeow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Adorable! [emoji]128149[/emoji]

Be careful of little claws catching in the shag rug though. So glad to hear they are healthy and happy. [emoji]128522[/emoji]
The kittens have developed a lot faster than I expected. they've started to walk but they're quite wobbly yet so we let them out of their box so that they can move around for short periods and surprisingly they've managed to figure out a technique so that their claws don't get trapped in the rug

littlemeow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
***UPDATE***
We have successfully found wonderful homes for all kittens. They will only be rehomed when they are fully independent- able to eat, walk, run, pounce and use the toilet by themselves etc. We were told that this would usually happen before or at 8 weeks old.
The girls will be rehomed together (black/white & calico) and the boy (tabby) will be living in an excellent home where he will get huge amounts of attention from a little boy.
Mum has started to feed them alot less now and their teeth have started to come through. They're just over 3 weeks old now and I think by next week they should be ready to start to wean. Mum is also back to normal and she is very happy, she was the only cat we had but now she enjoys playing with her babies. The kittens love play fighting and cuddling with eachother, they also love cuddles from us and they feed off attention!

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lovely update.  If you can keep the kittens until 10 - 12 weeks they will be able to learn 'kitten manners' from mom.  i.e. not biting hard or scratching.  The behavior forum has a lot of threads where the problems could have  been avoided if the cats had spent a little more time with mom.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, they should not be re-homed before at least 8 weeks, no matter how "independent" they appear to be, and, as Handsome Kitty said, 10-12 weeks is even better, as they learn kitten manners from mom. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

littlemeow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh okay thats fine & i was wondering if the calico looks abit different to the average domestic cat. Because her face is slightly flatter and wider than mum & siblings

littlemeow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Garfield found an amazing home with absolutely super owners & he has grown so much, he is booked for spaying in 1/2 weeks time. The girls were also sold as a pair and although their owners haven't kept in touch, we see them all the time through their window because the owner of them lives right next to us!! x

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They turned out so cute! Were you able to get mom spayed? Will the owner of the girls spay them?

littlemeow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah the owner of the other kittens is definitely supposed to be getting them spayed & we haven't got mum spayed yet because she ran out again and she is pregnant again, I'm gutted but this is DEFINITELY her last litter and we will be so much more cautious this time round definitely. Are you based in the UK?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm based in America. How far along is mom? I would really consider aborting the litter if I were you. It's brutal to her body to have another litter this soon.

And I would follow up with your neighbors if at all possible. I would want to know it was done and all went well.

krissy marissy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How far along is mom? If it's early she should be spayed. She just had a litter. It seems cruel to let her have another so quickly.

littlemeow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think she is around the 7/8 week mark maybe more. I can see her kittens kicking, her hair has started to fall out and her nipples have got dry milk around them. But we definitely need to get her spayed after this litter for sure. its too late to abort them now :'( but she's used to being outdoors, I don't know how we could keep her inside for the whole 6 weeks after she's given birth?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it's too late now. You absolutely must keep her inside. It's cruel to allow her to have another litter. She can get pregnant any time after a week of delivery, and without going into heat. No outside time at all is safe.

Are you giving her kmr to drink? Another litter and calcium deficiency could easily kill her.

Last edited:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It won't be so difficult to keep her inside after the kittens are born. She will want to be with her litter most of the time.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You just keep her inside in a room with her kittens, food, water, and litter. You don't give in to her meowing. It's as simple as that. We've all had to do it. And cats don't get out by accident if everyone is careful about opening doors.

By going out she can bring back fleas, parasites, and infection to her kittens. She can also disappear and you'll be handraising her kittens. And you can be sure she does not mate again.

littlemeow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thanks everyone & I know Sarthur2 Sarthur2 but we have kids in our house and our home is quite small so we make use of every room :) but thank you and we will definitely keep her inside regardless of how difficult it might be