What's the weather and temperature like where you live?? - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

It's been crazy in California! Here on the Central coast, we've had lots of rain and high winds, which means lots of trees going down, which means power outages and road closures. 85000+ people without power today in Monterey County. Major freeways shut down because of trees down. Rain was supposed to end mid-afternoon here and be heading your way, @segelkatt but it's almost 10 p.m. here and still raining.
It started to rain about 4 pm and I don't know when it stopped as I went to bed at 9 with an aching shoulder. The wind was howling through every crack, it even made the wrought iron bannister sing, very weird low humming. They say there were 150 mph winds going through the pass called the Grapevine which is north of LA going towards Bakersfield and later "died down"  to 100 mph. That's still too darn high wind and I always worry about my son in weather like that because he drives a big rig. This morning no rain but I just heard that from Huntington Beach south it is already raining again at the beach which will come farther inland shortly. There is huge surf, they say as high as 14 feet which would be a sight to see but I'm staying home. There is more rain forecast for Monday through Wednesday. Temp is barely up to 50F and with the dampness and wind it always seems so much colder. We don't have clothes for weather like that!   I'm staying in with a book and my fur babies.
I saw on the news that there was a big slide in the San Bernardino mountains.  I can't even imagine 150 mph winds!  That is so scary.  We had winds up to 85 mph and SO many trees came down.  There were road and bridge closures all over the place.  It's still overcast and windy today but we're getting a break from the rain today.  It's supposed to start again Sunday night through Wednesday.  

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
Just heard that LA had received 9 inches of rain from this storm and that SoCal had received 198% of its usual rainfall! That's almost twice as much as we usually get by this time of year and there is more to come.

I saw the film of the San Bernardino slide, that was awesome. Unbelievable how such a huge amount of earth can just slide off the mountains.  Thank goodness not in any area where people live. Where I live everything is built up and has been for many decades but people are not prepared for this much water all at one time. The various rivers which are dry the biggest part of the year (Los Angeles River, San Fernando River, Santa Ana River etc) are raging rivers sweeping everything in their path away. Homeless people live under bridges and every year some of them have to rescued because they have been swept away in flash floods, so far I haven't heard anything like that. 

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's 65 F here in Ohio the middle of February.  I went to Target and I go by a public golf course to get there and it was packed.  We are supposed to have highs in the 60's until next Saturday.

You have probably seen the video of the semi being blown over in Wyoming.  No one was in the police car and no one was hurt.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It's 65 F here in Ohio the middle of February.  I went to Target and I go by a public golf course to get there and it was packed.  We are supposed to have highs in the 60's until next Saturday.

You have probably seen the video of the semi being blown over in Wyoming.  No one was in the police car and no one was hurt.

My son says he does not like to drive a load that is not heavy because of the chance of being blown over and he absolutely refuses to  drive an empty trailer, they not only are easily turned over but also wiggle back and forth behind the truck because there is no weight to hold them down. Yes, I did see that overturned truck on TV a few days ago and thought of him. But as he only drives the Western states west of the Rockies he's not exposed to those long stretches of flat land where the wind can reach those speeds and he is never on the hiway that goes from Las Vegas to LA  where the wind can churn up the desert sand and thus sandblast the paint off your vehicle. This is just not a route he ever travels.. 

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well, it's either the 'mid-winter thaw' here or just more of the abnormally mild on and off weather we've been having here --  62 degrees F right now (at about 4:15pm)! the snow's been busy rapidly melting......
  and it's been sunny all day.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

well, it's either the 'mid-winter thaw' here or just more of the abnormally mild on and off weather we've been having here --  62 degrees F right now (at about 4:15pm)! the snow's been busy rapidly melting......
  and it's been sunny all day.
Same here, of course.  I'd post a picture of our snow cover this morning, but you'd be jealous.

;)

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a nice week/weekend here again. It really has been a nice surprise for February! Can't complain at all!
Went walking today! :)

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It rained some more during the night but apparently not really hard, everything is wet, the street has not dried. It might be drizzling, I'll find out when I go out to the farmers' market in a bit. Chilly 50 so I'll bundle up.

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's beautiful in the "Big Apple" - Anyone around the 5 burrows, get out and enjoy.

Tee shirt and jeans is all you need, but keep a light jacket for the afternoon, it's supposed to get chilly.

Great day for Central Park or Brooklyn Bridge walk.

Enjoy!!!!!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
a cloudy, but warm 55 degrees in Boston!!  Windows open, balcony door open a bit!! heat is shut off... but it will be getting a bit chillier.. 

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
60! We are at 60! 
 Rick is outside, taking down the Valentine's Day lights from our weeping cherry. I just finished vacuuming and Swiffering a bit. We have the heat turned off in the house and the cats are loving the open windows.

I know that winter will return and much sooner than I'd like. But for right now? Life is good.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Raining off and on, then the sun will peek out for a few minutes and then more rain. At least there is just a light wind, not those huge gusts we have been having. However, with all this dampness it feels really chilly, it's still not more than 52 and it's already noon. This is NOT the usual California weather for this time of year. 

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sunny and70 degrees.  Before anyone gets jealous, please remember that I DO NOT DO HEAT WELL AT ALL!  I really need to get out of the Deep South.  And for those of you who aren't sure of the difference between "The South" and the "Deep South," the Deep South is below the Spanish Moss line.  Forget Mason and Dixon.  LOL..if you live below the Spanish Moss line, anyone above it is just a Yankee with a drawl!    

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
The windy city was not too windy today - low 60's and 
- yesterday was picture perfect too!

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ Finally we are getting rain. We may even pull out of the 5 year drought !
Last night in Los Angeles the winds were about 40 MPH. The old fiberglass awning over my back door blew off. Oh well ...
[emoji]9748[/emoji][emoji]128168[/emoji]

Status
Not open for further replies.