What's the most disgusting thing you've ever eaten?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

purity

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Miss Mew

I might regret asking this but what is black pudding??
Boiled pigs blood in a length of intestine, bonded with cereals, suet or cubes of fat

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have eaten oysters well actually swallowed them with lots of cocktail sauce!
I have had a couple different types of cavier (I think it was same event!!)
So much of that kind of stuff is doctored up with other stuff what is the point of eating it.
Escargot-tastes like chewing on the erasers on pencils.
I remember watching my grandparents make blood sausage-gross, gross and gross
Rabbit-sorry but dad would raise them and then butcher them in the fall-I couldn't stomach them my sis and I asked for hot dogs (which would really me worse) again.
Collard greens-ICKY
What people will eat and you can by it in jars in the grocery store are pickled eggs and pickled pigs feet. (shudder!!) Or herring.....
I could probably think of more........

evnshawn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sunnicat

My ex ate fried cows' brains. Ugh.
I don't think you can get those anymore. Too much worry about mad cow disease. But I used to see them in the stores. Calamari is AWESOME if it's cooked correctly. Ostrich is pretty good too. It's really like red meat, not like bird.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

purity

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

I remember watching my grandparents make blood sausage-gross, gross and gross
I saw an outtake programme on tv once where a man was showing how to make it, and the camera crew kept having to stop because the presenter kept throwing up when the blood was mixed with cereal!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
LOL! Escargot is just garlic flavoured rubber!

So what's "scrapple"? And for that matter, just what exactly are grits!? I know there's a few southerners out there who could tell me!

The grossest thing I can remember eating is smoked salmon that was well beyond its best by date. I ate it to be polite!!
Next time, I'll put the needs of my stomach before good manners!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've have some oxtail bones in my freezer for soup!! Isn't Tripe something like the intestines or something like that??? Grits are made from corn-haven't every eaten them!!

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the
I had all sorts of seafood at a Chinese New Years dinner once. Including abalony (spelling??) and sea cucumber. Yuk. The abalony was especially disgusting.

I also had some of those Harry Potter jelly beans. Including vomit, grass, dirt and sardine flavour. Sardine was actually the worst one. It's the only one I couldn't swallow. I have never eaten real sardines but the taste of the other jelly beans were pretty accurate so I conclude that sardines taste worst than vomit.

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have any of you ever eaten cat food? When I was a kid I ate some dry kibble. I don't remember what brand but I'm sure it's the kind you can find at a grocery store and contains by-products.

To make it more gross, my mom then told me I shouldn't do that because they can't always control the processing in the factories that make the cat food and sometimes there might be dried up flies in the food. I remember being grossed out, hoping I didn't eat a fly.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pushylady

just what exactly are grits!? I know there's a few southerners out there who could tell me!
grits are made from ground-up hominy. hominy is corn that has been soaked in a lye solution - gets big & puffy. grits are a lot like cream of wheat, only not as smooth.
i've eaten nutria - actually liked it. it's a large rodent (even looks a lot like a rat) found in the swamps of south Louisiana, which is where i had it. tasted like chicken, of course! i've also eaten frog's legs & crawfish, because of my south Louisiana heritage (mom's from there).
on my first trip to the UK, i got a steak-and-kidney pie at a fish-n-chips stand. tasted like liver filling
- couldn't finish it! it was truly nasty - not even the crust was good

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Eeeek i've just thought of another that i tried years ago when i went to a pub in London.

Jellied eels!
And do you know i can't even remember what they tasted like because i just swallowed it

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sure I can out gross you all. I bought some instant mashes potatoes, you know the flakes. Anyway, I prepared the milk butter and water combo, then addes the potatoes. They looked yummy. I put some on my plate with my chicken and veggies, and was enjoying them, without really looking at what I was eating. I was just eating away....... Then I glanced at my plate, and it looked like something was moving. Yes, indeed, something was moving, alright... Thousands of little critters were moving in the form of little white worm type things. Those potatoes were alive with worms or maggots or whatever they were, and I'd eaten over half of them. I felt like getting sick, but I didn't. I quickly spit out what was in my mouth and threw the rest down the garbage disposal. Then I threw away the box of instant mashed potatoes. It was brand new, never been opened before that. Now trust me, THAT was disgusting.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Eewww..... puts me off mashed potato for life!!!
Reminds me of when my sister was eating a piece of cake in bed at night. She didn't finish it and next morning there were ants all over it - including some half eaten ones where she'd bitten into the cake.
I was preparing monkfish once and figured I should devein it. Thing is, monkfish don't have little brown squiggly veins in them! Hubby had to take it back to the store. The teenage cashier thought it was really cool!

Thanks laureen on the grits explanation! I actually like cream of wheat, maybe I'd like grits.

chester&piper

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by darkeyedgirl

Escargot.

Snails. Freaking slimy, goopy, chewy slugs that people actally PAY FOR in nice restaurants!!! It was like eating a big ol loogie!
For some reason, I had always wanted to try escargot. Well, I tried one once and thought I was going to puke! Never again!

rosehawke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sister, who is more traveled than I, tells me that grits is almost identical to polenta which is readily found "up north" apparently.

ricalynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Scrapple has always been defined in my family as "everything but the squeal" off a pig. I've heard lots of comparisons to head cheese, but basically it's all the pork cast-off's boiled down into a gritty sausage-like consistency and molded into meat loaves.
Slice it 1/2 in thick, fry it up, slap it on toast w/a fried egg, salt & pepper, and you have an incredible stick-to-your-ribs breakfast!!!!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by Purity

Boiled pigs blood in a length of intestine, bonded with cereals, suet or cubes of fat
Why did I come back into this thread????? I was just trying to forget I ate this stuff without knowing at the time what was in it, and now I am reminded of what it was

sunnicat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by OllyExtra05

Calamari, IMHO, is only good if it's the fried kind, with a side of spicy marinara for dipping...now I'll be thinking about calamari all day!
You and Joe can share a big ole plate of the stuff, because that's how he likes it, too! I just can't seem to acquire a taste for it!