what's the meaning behind your username?

keyes

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

It's just the username I use everywhere. It's a made up Tolkien-name. I can't remember if it's Sindarin or Quenya. It theoretically means "Star-knowledge maiden." In reality it means "owner of username can't remember umpteen usernames and uses the same one everywhere."
I know what you mean about user names.  When I start doing the memory thing I am going to be so screwed!!

sparrowhawk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My username comes from the modern English word for my surname, which originated in England during the language period known as "Middle English" (to give you an idea of how old that is - Shakespeare is technically modern English). While I know the Middle English word in spelling, it's very difficult to pronounce, and looks really funky.

Obviously, the Sparrowhawk is a type of bird. In America, it really is a type of hawk (a kestrel) but the English bird from which my name comes from was actually a falcon and used by royalty and nobility for falconry. My family's surname came about when the King of England started calling his personal sparrowhawk keeper "Sparrowhawk" (which was a compliment because the Sparrowhawk was this king's preferred falcon, whom he said he admired for its traits, both for its nature and its capabilities) as a nickname. So, my surname is kind of unique - most surname's come from 1) occupation 2) nickname 3) References to nature 4) Descriptors [i.e. Smithson = Smith's Son or "Andrews = Warrior-like"] or 5) Location.  My surname simultaneously embodies 4 of those possibilities.

I personally like it because the bird is small, but both fierce and cunning. Not only is it able to take down prey as large as itself, it (successfully) defends nests against other birds more than 2x's their size because of their reckless style. While circumstances sometimes prevent it, they normally attempt to mate for life, which I also find cool.

Courageous, Fierce, Loyal, and Cunning. Couldn't ask for a better mascot for a family name!

Last edited:

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Sparrowhawk

And here I thought your user name was in homage to Ursula LeGuin's three Wizard of EarthSea novels, where the protagonist has the common name of Sparrowhawk (as opposed to his true name.)

sparrowhawk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@Catapault lol no, but that would have been cool too - I love to read, including fantasy novels (I read pretty much all genres), and I'm finishing up my first fantasy book =)

roguethecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
well, the Rogue is a force of nature, but the name was already taken. He's a cat (although he mostly acts like a cross between a piglet and a puppy), so here goes.

Last edited:

cassthecatlover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, that's easy! My nickname is Cass and I love cats! 

Sometimes I like to call myself Cassacat.

cerendipity

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My user name of Cerendipity (Serendipity was taken) reflects my history as a cat owner (parent) over the years.   My current and former cats came to live with me when not when I was looking to adopt a pet but when they needed a new home and I agreed to keep them until a new home was found.  Of course I ended up quickly bonding, falling in love with and keeping each of them.   Six years ago I took in my current male cat who's 32 year-old owner had tragically died and the friend who first took him in couldn't keep him.  He's huge with a sort of wild cat look and she was a bit afraid of him even though he wasn't aggressive.  I took in in but due to some uncertainty in my life didn't think it was appropriate for me to get a pet so, along with the former owner's mother, looked for a new home.  During this time I found out that he was a Bengal which helped me understand his mischievous behavior and needs.  Also during this time I was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer and my treatment was going to start with chemotherapy before surgery.  My oncologist suggested precautions (gloves and a surgical mask) when cleaning the litter box during chemo but otherwise there was no problem.    After finishing chemo and having a mastectomy I checked out Craigs List to look for a possible playmate cat for my very active then 2 year-old male and found a 6 year-old female Bengal being re-homed.   Her owner brought her over and the cats were curious about each other and not at all aggressive.  It turned out to be a great match as both cats love to play and interact with each other.  She bonded with my male cat first and eventually with me.  Although my Bengals are more rambunctious than my previous cats and I had to remove all fragile things from tables and shelves as the daily through-the-house warp-speed chases knock things over, it's worth it to see the fun they are having. My breast cancer treatment lasted a year with radiation therapy following the mastectomy.  As a single woman with no kids, my cats have been a source of joy, entertainment and mutual affection.  As with my previous wonderful cats, taking in a cat who needs a new home despite not seeking one has proven serendipitous.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I love your slogan about "saving one cat" etc., very heart warming!!!
@mazie     Was this comment directed at catwoman707....or someone else?  Because I think @catwoman707's slogan is very heart warming, too.: "Saving one cat won't make a difference in the world, but it makes a world of difference to that one cat."  

To Cat Nap-I know, so do mine.  First they lull you into a false sense of security, "Ah yes, they're sleeping and I'll be able to sleep all night." and then when you're sleeping soundly it's a call to arms.  Otherwise known as hawking up a hairball, crawling underneath the bed with the feet motoring along the bottom of the mattress, using the door frame as a scratching post or deciding to do a chorus of the Midnight Blues!  I have six of the little charmers in the house and sometimes there is no rest for the wicked.
Hey, @keyes....your gang sounds like so much fun, except for when you need sleep.
  "crawling underneath the bed with the feet motoring" is a new one, that I have not heard about. 

I just had a quick question about your soul cat's name.  Is it pronounced "keyes" like "Florida Keys"....or differently? 

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise

My user name of Cerendipity (Serendipity was taken) reflects my history as a cat owner (parent) over the years.   My current and former cats came to live with me when not when I was looking to adopt a pet but when they needed a new home and I agreed to keep them until a new home was found.  Of course I ended up quickly bonding, falling in love with and keeping each of them.   Six years ago I took in my current male cat who's 32 year-old owner had tragically died and the friend who first took him in couldn't keep him.  He's huge with a sort of wild cat look and she was a bit afraid of him even though he wasn't aggressive.  I took in in but due to some uncertainty in my life didn't think it was appropriate for me to get a pet so, along with the former owner's mother, looked for a new home.  During this time I found out that he was a Bengal which helped me understand his mischievous behavior and needs.  Also during this time I was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer and my treatment was going to start with chemotherapy before surgery.  My oncologist suggested precautions (gloves and a surgical mask) when cleaning the litter box during chemo but otherwise there was no problem.    After finishing chemo and having a mastectomy I checked out Craigs List to look for a possible playmate cat for my very active then 2 year-old male and found a 6 year-old female Bengal being re-homed.   Her owner brought her over and the cats were curious about each other and not at all aggressive.  It turned out to be a great match as both cats love to play and interact with each other.  She bonded with my male cat first and eventually with me.  Although my Bengals are more rambunctious than my previous cats and I had to remove all fragile things from tables and shelves as the daily through-the-house warp-speed chases knock things over, it's worth it to see the fun they are having. My breast cancer treatment lasted a year with radiation therapy following the mastectomy.  As a single woman with no kids, my cats have been a source of joy, entertainment and mutual affection.  As with my previous wonderful cats, taking in a cat who needs a new home despite not seeking one has proven serendipitous.
@Cerendipity   Can you post photos of your cats in the "New Cats on the Block" Forum.  http://www.thecatsite.com/f/20/new-cats-on-the-block    We would love to see photos. 

And I hope you and your cats are doing well. And that your health stays fully in remission.

You have a great username....very Serendipity....."Cerendipity" 

cerendipity

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you @cat nap. My furry kids and I are doing well.  Although I have some permanent side-effects from having such extensive treatment and remain on an anti-estrogen drug with its own unpleasant side effects, I am happy to be alive and with no evidence of a recurrence of my formerly aggressive, partially chemo-resistant breast cancer.  I am very proud of my kiddies and will definitely post some photos.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise

@cat nap  and @mazie  thank you for saying that!  

So true too, I live by this every day.
Aww, catwoman707, your posts and advice are so informative to read...I have learned a lot from them.  
   (It should be "thank-you"...not you thanking me.)

Thank you @cat nap. My furry kids and I are doing well.  Although I have some permanent side-effects from having such extensive treatment and remain on an anti-estrogen drug with its own unpleasant side effects, I am happy to be alive and with no evidence of a recurrence of my formerly aggressive, partially chemo-resistant breast cancer.  I am very proud of my kiddies and will definitely post some photos.
  I will look forward to the photos, then.

And send you more positive wishes, prayers and vibes for a lessening of the side effects, or added strength to deal with them.

keyes

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@ Cat Nap-Keyes like computer keys only with an extra e.  He was wandering around the office parking lot where I used to work and every one there was saying that some one should take that kitten home.  All talk and no action.  So I said I would but it was early in the day and so I kept him in my office and he spent most of the day in my lap and walking on my keyboard.  Hence the name Keyes.

stillstending

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mine's based off of my last name, Stender. It's kind of a reminder for me that I can get through whatever life throws at me because I'm "still standing" thanks to God.

pocho

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Pocho is one of my cats name. He was named after an Argentine milonguero. My favorite to dance with during my tango days.