What's the dirtiest place in your house?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm giving the house a good cleaning because I am having a graduation party here on Saturday for my niece. My biggest challenge is going to be cleaning the inside of the microwave. I'm a bit disgusted by how bad it is.

What's the dirtiest place in your house?

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If a garage counts, then that's my dirtiest spot hands down. If that doesn't count, then I'd have to say our sun room - DH has a bunch of construction materials in there right now so I haven't been able to clean it thoroughly in a couple of months.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The inside.

Ok maybe the diaper pail? My microwave is actually decent. I do need to vacuum badly though... So maybe the floor outside the laundry room since the girls track litter out there.

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Roommates room. Looks like a garbage dump threw up in there. Literally. So yeah, I don't go in there.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
The corners of the attic. DH cleans up there once or twice a year, but the ShopVac's nozzle is too wide for them and he can't be bothered taking the regular vacuum up there to use just in the corners.

bellaandme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a storage unit in the basement and it's so cluttered and stuffed that every time I open it there's an avalanche of junk that falls out. I just dread the thought of cleaning that out!!!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
The basement, definitely the basement. We've been remodeling down there and it's a mess. Plus we're working on gathering items for a trip to the landfill and there's a nice pile of stuff. And we're working on items for a yard sale for mid-July. The basement is cluttered and messy. (I don't think it's that dirty, though, as we were just down there over the weekend doing some vacuuming and cleaning. It's terribly messy right now.)

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would say my inner window sills
. I need to get a bucket of Mr. Clean going and start scrubbing. Having a party is a good excuse to get the cleaning done. Have a great graduation party

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I absolutely HATE HATE HATE cleaning the microwave and oven, so I without exception use a cover for food in the mic and usually aluminum foil for the oven. I also have aluminum foil covering the very bottom of the oven and toaster oven, and if anything ever does spill that makes things so much easier too.

Dirtiest place in the house for me is the garage as nothing is organized anymore, and I can only fit one car in the two car garage because of all the boxes of stuff I've promised are going on craigslist and I never get around to it.

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

I'm giving the house a good cleaning because I am having a graduation party here on Saturday for my niece. My biggest challenge is going to be cleaning the inside of the microwave. I'm a bit disgusted by how bad it is.
For those of you with bad microwaves:

Place a bowl of vinegar with a couple drops of lemon juice (optional, makes it smell a bit better) in the microwave, put it on high for 5 minutes. Carefully remove the bowl, take a damp cloth and wipe. The steam from the vinegar loosens the dirt nicely and makes it 10 times easier to clean.

I learned that from the show "How Clean Is Your House".

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ducman69

I absolutely HATE HATE HATE cleaning the microwave and oven, so I without exception use a cover for food in the mic and usually aluminum foil for the oven. I also have aluminum foil covering the very bottom of the oven and toaster oven, and if anything ever does spill that makes things so much easier too.
I cover everything (mostly) in the microwave and I line my baking trays with foil; but do be careful. Foil is technically flammable. I've seen it happen before!

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LuvMyParker

Place a bowl of vinegar with a couple drops of lemon juice (optional, makes it smell a bit better) in the microwave, put it on high for 5 minutes. Carefully remove the bowl, take a damp cloth and wipe. The steam from the vinegar loosens the dirt nicely and makes it 10 times easier to clean.

I was going to say this too when I started reading this thread. Except I skip the vinegar and just squeeze half a lemon or maybe a whole one into a cup of water and microwave for a few minutes. I'm sure either would work, as they're both acidic. Then again, I have hundreds of lemons on the lemon tree out back, so I have to find excuses to use whole lemons, rather than a few drops or a teaspoon of juice..

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ducman69

Dirtiest place in the house for me is the garage as nothing is organized anymore, and I can only fit one car in the two car garage because of all the boxes of stuff I've promised are going on craigslist and I never get around to it.
You mean you can fit a car in your garage?

Originally Posted by LuvMyParker

Now that is an excellent tip!!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The front dash. It's covered in layers of folded blankets then cat beds to make it level. I don't remove them all nearly frequently enough to remove all the cat hair that migrates down.

After that... I'd have to say Gary's bedside table.