What's for dinner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pot roast tonight, well, my version of pot roast
I put it all in the crock pot this morning.
Potatoes, carrots, little pearl onions, roasted tomatoes, and the beef. I seasoned the beef well; I use Emeril's

Rustic Rub seasoning (I make it myself
and halve the amount of the salt) and then added a good teaspoon of my tomato powder over the whole thing. Mixed the roasted tomatoes with one cup of red wine and poured it over

everything. Put it on High while I was at home, then turned it to Low before I came into work. The crock pot is in the basement on top of the dryer, cooking our dinner. When I get home, I'll add
some fresh sliced mushrooms to the mix

We'll be hungry tonight and won't have dinner until after 7:00. This way I don't have to make dinner after working
outside.
Should I get a slow cooker after 70 years of never using one?
what's rustic dressing?

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday I had half a pita with houmus, tehina as it's called here, some hot sauce and absolutely stuffed with shwarma, donner, and topped with a ton of real chips. Oh yummy. There was so much it was like eating a whole pita for half the price.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday I had half a pita with houmus, tehina as it's called here, some hot sauce and absolutely stuffed with shwarma, donner, and topped with a ton of real chips. Oh yummy. There was so much it was like eating a whole pita for half the price.
That sounds delicious. I love shawarma. 

We are having pork chops tonight since I didn't make them last night. I was hoping to be in the hospital delivering my son today but the doctor decided to wait until at least Wednesday unless baby decides to come on his own before then. 

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That sounds delicious. I love shawarma. 
We are having pork chops tonight since I didn't make them last night. I was hoping to be in the hospital delivering my son today but the doctor decided to wait until at least Wednesday unless baby decides to come on his own before then. 
If he decides to come on his own will it still be a c section?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Should I get a slow cooker after 70 years of never using one?
what's rustic dressing?
Hi Judy! 

I have several reasons for using my crock pots:
  • Time-saver: I can throw everything in the crock pot and let it cook during the day. I don't have to deal with it, once the initial work is done
  • I can come home from work and dinner is almost ready (I say almost ready because I still might have to slice a roast or make a bit of gravy with the liquid in the crock pot, throw together a salad, etc.)
  • Saves on electricity: Instead of heating a large oven or several burners on the stove to make dinner, I throw it all into the crock pot.
  • Easy clean-up: While we're eating dinner, I have hot, soapy water soaking the crock pot. When we're done eating, I just wash it out (no sticking) and put the whole thing away
Even if I was retired, I would still have a crock pot, simply because I like being able to put everything in the crock pot, plug it in, and go about my day. But since you've made it this long without using one, perhaps it's not necessary for you. 
 When I use the crock pot and then leave the house for the day, I always plug it in down in the basement. I don't trust the cats to behave themselves around the cord and such. Better safe than sorry. 

I also use a pressure cooker from time to time. In that case, I can come home from work and have a good dinner ready in about an hour or so, even cooking the meat from frozen. But that's a whole 'nother can of worms, so to speak, and a pressure cooker is completely different from a crock pot.

Rustic Rub is a seasoning mix; the recipe is from Emeril Lagasse who was a chef on Food Network years ago; he had The Essence of Emeril and Emeril Live; both were good shows, although his BAM! got tiresome after a while. He had three rubs: Rustic Rub, Creole Blast, and I think there was a Southwest Essence, too, but I'm not sure anymore. I know there were 3 main rubs. I've stuck with the Rustic Rub, simply because we like it. It can be used on virtually anything....I've even sprinkled it on slices of buttered garlic bread before browning it in the oven.

Here's his recipe:

Rustic Rub (adapted from Emeril Lagasse)

8 tablespoons paprika
3 tablespoons cayenne
5 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
6 tablespoons garlic powder
3 tablespoons onion powder
6 tablespoons salt
2-1/2 tablespoons dried oregano
2-1/2 tablespoons dried thyme

Mix everything together. Store with spices. Good for 3 months, but I’ve kept it for six with no problem. I tend to double the recipe, keep half for myself and give the other half to our son for his use. He likes to use it on beef and pork when he's grilling. You will see that the recipe calls for 6 tablespoons of salt. No. I use about 2-1/2 tablespoons of salt and it's fine. We simply can't use that much salt. But it's a good recipe, nonetheless, and I have used it now for years. I use it in beef stew, pot roast, beef pot pie, even some vegetables. 

An easy way to grind your own spices. Buy a cheap coffee grinder. Works beautifully. Many years ago, my MIL gave me a small Cuisinart coffee grinder for my birthday. I use it whenever I need to mix up seasonings or grind dried herbs for anything. I keep saying that one of these years, I'm going to treat myself to a mortar and pestle, but honestly, I don't think I'd ever use it much. I like using the coffee grinder.

He also had one called Creole Blast and I used that for chicken and some fish. I never kept up much with that one, but I always have Rustic Rub on hand. By the way, I think you can buy Rustic Rub now, too, although I've never bothered. It's so easy to make.

Not sure about dinner tonight. We are running some errands this morning and Rick said he'd treat me to breakfast at Cracker Barrel. Whenever we go out for breakfast, then I don't make much for supper. Perhaps a BLT or something along those lines.

Last edited:

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Winchester.
Thank you for your message. I suppose it would be a bit silly to buy a crock pot now after all these years.
The rub sounds lovely. I'll definitely make it. I'll also make extra for my daughter a DiL.
At least I can get all the spices here.
you're very kind to me.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never heard of emetil lagasse.
can't buy that rub here.
I have a pressure cooker but I've never used it. I had one when I got married 44 years ago and I used it till it was finished. It was English. My mum 'schlapped' it here from England. Once pieces wore out I couldn't get replacements. There weren't any even in England. Shame it was a wonderful pressure cooker.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
It was chilly, breezy, and rainy on Saturday. We got down to 34 degrees F last night. It is to be sunny today, but chilly and breezy.

I took some cooked chopped chicken out of the freezer last night to thaw. It's a good fall day for a dinner of chicken and waffles! 

cutiekitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It was beef chilli and pretzel bread and it was very good on a very cold evening in the midwest area.

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
Pork tenderloin in a terriyaki marinade, brussel sprouts in garlic butter and soy sauce, sour cream & chive mashed potatoes and seasoned grilled corn on Cobb.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a family dinner tonight for my grandmas 95th birthday/Thanksgiving. There was so much food. Turkey, ham, cabbage rolls, mashed potatoes,stuffing, turnip, corn, frito salad, a salad my aunt always makes (not sure what it's called), jello salad, buns, veggie tray, pumpkin pie, apple pie and carrot cake. I'm sure I'm missing stuff, there was a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.