What's for dinner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, wow, Pat, that sounds wonderful! And your appliance sounds very interesting.

Catsallaround, I'd love some of that chicken and gravy. And I'd take some cranberry sauce, too.

Grilled pork chops with balsamic vinegar. The never-ending squash (think we'll have stuffed squash boats again) and some corn on the cob.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I looked this up and the consensus seems to be that you can cook sous vide in a crock pot or in a rice cooker, with the preference being a rice cooker. Everything old is new again, just give it a new fancy, preferably French, name and you can rake in the money with a "new" gadget.
But the methods are not the same, so it isn't exactly an old method with fancy new gadget.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Is there much difference between the Crock Pot and sous vide cooking method?  Sorry for my ignorance here, but they sound similar and I'm sure there's a difference.  I love the Crock Pot in how it cooks tough meats and melds the flavors of certain soups, so the sous vide method of cooking has me curious.
I am not the best at explaining sous vide versus crock pot, but they are not the same.  You aren't braising the meat you cook, you don't have to have liquid in the bag with the item you are cooking, and you get different results.  I found this one recipe/article interesting as it discusses exactly what you get by doing the dish sous vide.http://coldgarden.com/Cold_Garden_Warm_Kitchen/Sous_Vide_Beef.html

I did find a number of articles on how to convert a slow cooker/crock pot or rice cooker into being a sous vide machine, on a budget :)  I can only say from my experience, this is a superior way to cook tougher cuts of beef into sublime tenderness and great flavor.

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pretty much homemade poutine, but the potatoes are sliced into small pieces instead of fries, mixed with vegetables, garlic, and onion.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rice cooked in homemade chicken stock.  With what I am not sure.  Afraid to start the chicken I was to roast as it looks iffy over here and thunder storms are expected.  We lose power very easily.  May take some breast off for shake n bake.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, It's my B-Day,   So I am going to go pick up some sushi!  (salmon tempura, just can't do the raw thing!)  My sister & I are going out Saturday for dinner & a movie. 

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I made potatoes in the oven (cut up and cooked with oil, onion, garlic, salt, pepper and italian seasoning) and bbq pork chops. We had angel food cake with strawberries and whipped cream for dessert. 
 My mom and sister came down and spent the day with us today and watched Aimee while I had 3 different appointments this morning.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Happy Birthday, Kelly! 

Last night we had tuna loaf for dinner. Not sure about tonight. I'm thinking of fresh tomatoes and broccoli over pasta. We have a lot of things to do tonight and it's a quick dinner.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Happy Birthday, Kelly! 

Last night we had tuna loaf for dinner. Not sure about tonight. I'm thinking of fresh tomatoes and broccoli over pasta. We have a lot of things to do tonight and it's a quick dinner.
                                       Thanks!! 

Not sure. It's my birthday and hubby says he's going to pick up dinner and cake for us and the kids.

Happy Birthday, "Birthday buddy!" 

Last night when I got home & took my sushi out of the box, they had given me shrimp, instead of salmon, so I called to let them know, & they have a gift card credit waiting

there for me, so I may go get some tonight too!  

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure. It's my birthday and hubby says he's going to pick up dinner and cake for us and the kids.
Happy Birthday!!! I hope it was super yummy dinner and cake!!! :)

I'm going out to dinner tonight. This doesn't happen very often. I'm in two minds about it. I'll either choose healthy and light or go the whole hog!!! I'll report in later ;)

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise

Well, that didn't  happen. My co-worker gave me a large container of sweet and sour pot roast, something that his sister had made for him when she was visiting. I had asked for the recipe, but he said it's one of those dishes that you either love it or hate it; there's no in-between. He wanted me to try it before he wrote the recipe out for me. So that's what we had for dinner last night. It was good and I still do want the recipe. Rick thinks the pot roast is "tweakable" meaning that it was OK, but he thinks it could be better. 

Anyway, tonight is the roasted tomato sauce over pasta.

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had grilled rib eye steaks with grilled asparagus and mashed sweet potatoes. Ice cream cake for dessert!
The kids had pizza and ice cream cake.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had tiger prawns with spaghetti, tomato, chilli and Parmesan. It was quite nice. No dessert. I would like to say because I am a saint but the truth is I would have eaten some. The service was very poor. No one offered dessert and there wasn't anyone to ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.