What's for dinner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
Tonight it's so-called Japanese chicken salad which has chicken, fresh orange pieces, half of a large can drained mandarin oranges, steamed white rice(cooled), a vinaigrette made with seasoned rice vinegar, and a touch of curry powder. I made that this afternoon so it will have time to marry all the flavors. You can serve this either on small plates, in mussel shells or on soft-leaved lettuce leaves for a festive touch or do it like me: just pig out with a fork, nothing else is needed. Oh, a glass of iced tea would be good, I'm already drooling but it's only 4:14 here on the West coast.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spaghetti...that sounds good!  I need to pick up eggplant and such and make some soon.  It'd be great to take in to work for "lunch" at midnight.

I just stir fried some broccoli, yellow onion, zucchini, and mushrooms in a little olive oil and soy sauce.  It's nice to have some real food.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I took two small containers out of the freezer; one has vegetarian chili and the other contains ham and bean soup. Rick will have one and I will have the other, along with a yeast roll.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just chicken fingers and fries for us tonight. I want a quick dinner because I want to take Aimee to the free swim at the community center and it starts at 6. We normally don't eat until 5:30.

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Kangaroo fillets with a spinach, tomato, beetroot, goat cheese and walnut salad and some sort of Dijon dressing.
Well, that's.....interesting. What does kangaroo taste like? Is it gamy? 

I think we're doing grilled chicken thighs with vegetables tonight. I'll throw the thighs in the microwave and cook them that way, then chop the meat off the bones. And throw them in the grilling basket with sliced onions, sliced yellow squash and some zucchini. We have some fresh Roma tomatoes from the garden, too. And there should be a couple ears of corn ready that we can husk and cut into niblets and throw them on the grill, too. Not sure about what sauce I'll be using yet to go with it all; I didn't get that far yet.....I'm pretty much winging it tonight. 

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Winchester Winchester yes kangaroo is gamy. It's very, very lean so it needs to be quite rare or it gets very tough. I have eaten it years ago and I liked it but last night I didn't really enjoy it. It's food, so of course I ate it anyway!! I did enjoy the salad.

Tonight I was the only one here for dinner so I had eye fillet beef, pumpkin, carrot and Brussels sprouts. The beef was delicious.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I figured it was kind of on the gamy side. Obviously, I've never had it, but I'd probably try it.

I think we're doing a frozen pizza for dinner. We have some errands to run tonight and have to go over to Home Depot, which is not quite an hour away, so we have to do something quick. 

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
@Winchester yes kangaroo is gamy. It's very, very lean so it needs to be quite rare or it gets very tough. I have eaten it years ago and I liked it but last night I didn't really enjoy it. It's food, so of course I ate it anyway!! I did enjoy the salad.

Tonight I was the only one here for dinner so I had eye fillet beef, pumpkin, carrot and Brussels sprouts. The beef was delicious.
I thought you would say it tastes like chicken.  Here in the States it seems like with every unusual meat it always tastes like chicken.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought you would say it tastes like chicken.  Here in the States it seems like with every unusual meat it always tastes like chicken.
More like beef but very strong flavour. It's similar looking to beef but darker not fat marbling.Not as tender as beef either. In my opinion beef is delicious but I don't find kangaroo delicious. I only pan fried it and I even forgot the golden rule and didn't season it!!! If someone else cooked it- well that could be another story!!!:lol3:

Tonight is my cheat meal for the week. I'm afraid I usually take the cheating a bit to far and gorge but I'm going to keep it under control tonight.
Spinach and ricotta agnolotti with a creamy tomato and chicken sauce. Mmmm pasta. :drool:

Last edited:

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
More like beef but very strong flavour. It's similar looking to beef but darker not fat marbling.Not as tender as beef either. In my opinion beef is delicious but I don't find kangaroo delicious. I only pan fried it and I even forgot the golden rule and didn't season it!!! If someone else cooked it- well that could be another story!!!

Tonight is my cheat meal for the week. I'm afraid I usually take the cheating a bit to far and gorge but I'm going to keep it under control tonight.
Spinach and ricotta agnolotti with a creamy tomato and chicken sauce. Mmmm pasta.
I always thought that kangaroo would taste like some kind of deer or maybe buffalo. I've had both.Deer meat also is darker and no marbling so you have to know how to coook it, it makes wonderful stew and goulash, any kind of dish that takes long slow cooking and thenit is delicious. My son-in-law and my grandson go hunting in season as they live in Montana and I get what they call a "care package" every Christmas. Buffalo (bison) I can buy at the farmers' market as there are privately owned herds in Southern Calif.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always thought that kangaroo would taste like some kind of deer or maybe buffalo. I've had both.Deer meat also is darker and no marbling so you have to know how to coook it, it makes wonderful stew and goulash, any kind of dish that takes long slow cooking and thenit is delicious. My son-in-law and my grandson go hunting in season as they live in Montana and I get what they call a "care package" every Christmas. Buffalo (bison) I can buy at the farmers' market as there are privately owned herds in Southern Calif.
Yes I think you would be right in saying that.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Even though I grew up on a farm in a very rural area I never developed a taste for game meat.  I have tried deer, bison, rabbit and elk and I didn't care for any of it.  The bison was ground and mixed with beef but I still didn't care for it.  I am just not that adventurous with food.  I didn't even care for lamb.  I have only had it once though so it may not have been prepared right.  I have heard that it can be pretty bad if it hasn't been prepared right.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Even though I grew up on a farm in a very rural area I never developed a taste for game meat.  I have tried deer, bison, rabbit and elk and I didn't care for any of it.  The bison was ground and mixed with beef but I still didn't care for it.  I am just not that adventurous with food.  I didn't even care for lamb.  I have only had it once though so it may not have been prepared right.  I have heard that it can be pretty bad if it hasn't been prepared right.
Any kind of red meat can be tough if it's not cooked right. Like you I have never developed a taste for lamb, maybe because we ate a lot of mutton (grown up lamb (aka sheep) andi didn't like it then. Rabbit I've had when I was a child but not since, elk my son-in-law sent me and I found it wonderful. You just can't treat it like American beef which is fed grain and grain is not the natural diet of cattle, grass is, watch out Omaha Steak, your beef is grain fed and I don't want that. I probably also had goat but don't remember that. More than half of the meat-eating world population eats goat, I wonder why the so-called civilized world mostly doesn't?

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Speaking of lamb. We are having lamb steaks tonight with pumpkin, asparagus, broccoli and Brussels sprouts
I love lamb. It's my favourite meat.

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I made mac and cheese last night with some pickled cabbage from the freezer and some applesauce from the freezer. Used some of the applesauce to make some applesauce brownies for dear Richard.

Not sure about tonight. I may get a beef chuck out of the freezer and make some beef stew in the pressure cooker today. It's raining right now, although it's not particularly cool outside. But beef stew sounds good.

ETA: Beef stew did not sound good to dear Richard. So I took out a London Broil from the freezer and marinated that for the afternoon. Did it on the grill tonight with some sliced yellow squash that I brushed with balsamic vinegar. Sliced tomatoes. And a couple fresh ears of corn. No dessert today; I had no time for baking.

Last edited:

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No cooking here tonight. Our friends invited us to their church for a welcome meal for their new pastor. When we got finished at our church we rode over to theirs and had lunch there. They barbecued chicken and a pig. Everything was wonderful.

Status
Not open for further replies.