What's for dinner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
Hmmm, "calf fries" haven't heard of that before! Don't know if I'd be game enough to try them, although I have eaten deer tongue before and I have to say it was delicious. Pays to keep an open mind.

After an exceptional dinner last night of four pieces of raw cabbage dipped in garlic dressing, I thought I'd put a little effort in tonight. We had tostones and baked stuffed chayote, both of which I'd never had before, and grilled pork chops. Yummy! Definitely worth the effort and those tostones have me inventing variations in my mind already! Absolutely yummy.
Chayotes. In my community garden I have neighbors from Asia and they grow chayotes which are all over the place, hanging not only over my fence but grqwing all over my grapes where I  could not even see the grapes. There is also a long green one  apparently on the same vine. Had to look up what to do with the chayotes. Found they are also called mirlitons in the Cajun (New Orleans) kitchen and they make a sweet pie with them besides using them like any other squash which I don't like. So will make one of those pies and report on them. Don't know what to do with the green long ones, if I can't find someone to take them off my hands they will end up in the compost. And I will ask the neighboring gardener not to grow them so close to my fence next year.

Went to Mimi's Cafe for my B-day and had French onion soup and chicken crepes with a nice salad on the side and a glass of Pinot Grigio. Was invited so did not have to pay for it which made it even better. Really enjoyed the crepes. 

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
at age 90 she's still baking her I own bread? Well good for her. I'm nowhere like that at 70. Wish I was but not my nature. Massive lazy. My hat's off to your Mil.
Rick's mother still bakes. It's nothing for her to whip up a batch of sticky buns or cookies. She'll throw together apple dumplings. She doesn't do as much as she used it and she gets tired easily now, but she still does her own baking. And she still shares with us. Whenever I bake something, we always take some to Rick's parents, too.

You are all having interesting dinners! (I don't think I could try brains)

We are having dinner with friends tonight. She said she's making pork chops and scalloped potatoes. I am to bring dessert. Not sure what I'm making, but it's a toss-up between an apple trifle or a lemonade party cake. I'm really in the mood for lemon, so it probably will be the lemonade cake, I think.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chayotes. In my community garden I have neighbors from Asia and they grow chayotes which are
all over the place, hanging not only over my fence but grqwing all over my grapes where I  could not even see the grapes. There is also a long green one  apparently on the same vine. Had to look
up what to do with the chayotes. Found they are also called mirlitons in the Cajun (New Orleans) kitchen and they make a sweet pie with them besides using them like any other squash which I don't likeSo will make one of those pies and report on them. Don't know what to do with the green long ones, if I can't find someone to take them off my hands they will end
up in the compost. And I will ask the neighboring gardener not to grow them so close to my fence next year.
Went to Mimi's Cafe for my B-day and had French onion soup and chicken
crepes with a nice salad on the side and a glass of Pinot Grigio. Was invited so did not have to pay for it which made it even better. Really enjoyed the crepes. 
happy belated birthday
hugs.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rick's mother still bakes. It's nothing for her to whip up a batch of sticky buns or cookies. She'll
throw together apple dumplings. She doesn't do as much as she used it and she gets tired easily now, but she still does her own baking. And she still shares with us. Whenever I bake
something, we always take some to Rick's parents, too.
You are all having interesting dinners! (I don't think I could try brains)
We are having dinner with friends tonight. She said she's making pork chops and scalloped potatoes. I am to bring dessert. Not sure what I'm making, but it's a toss-up between an apple trifle or a lemonade party cake. I'm really in the mood for lemon, so it probably will be the lemonade cake, I think.
I've never tried brains either yuk or lungs double yuk. They're eaten here.

smokem

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
shredded vegetables and beef..new recipe for me very tasty..

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Well, my GF made pork chops, scalloped potatoes, orange-glazed red beets, and pickled cabbage. I did make the lemonade party cake and it was a big hit. A very nice dinner.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was very young we ate all those yucky things too. Didn't think much about it then but did detest lung. Now I don't want to even think about eating any of that besides maybe liver. Nah!

I made the New Orleans pie made out of chayotes. Mmmm! good, consistency like a pumpkn pie but a little too sweet for my taste. It would be good with whipping cream or maybe a little sour cream. Real easy too, I was surprised just how easy. Now to find someone who will eat it as I am not into sweets but this will make a good addition at a bake sale. I still have quite a few more chayotes so will try a few other interesting looking recipes and maybe make another pie and freeze it. 

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
A belated 
 Segelkatt!

I took two chicken breasts out of the freezer to thaw. Tonight we are having sauteed breasts with a cranberry sauce/glaze (I still have a half-bag of cranberries in the freezer that I want to get used). My GF gave me some leftover scalloped potatoes to go with our chicken and I think I'll oven-roast some baby carrots. Dessert will be the last of the lemonade cake.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

A belated 
 Segelkatt!

I took two chicken breasts out of the freezer to thaw. Tonight we are having sauteed breasts with a cranberry sauce/glaze (I still have a half-bag of cranberries in the freezer that I want to get used). My GF gave me some leftover scalloped potatoes to go with our chicken and I think I'll oven-roast some baby carrots. Dessert will be the last of the lemonade cake.
Thank you so much.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was very young we ate all those yucky things too. Didn't think much about it then but did
detest lung. Now I don't want to even think about eating any of that besides maybe liver. Nah!
I made the New Orleans pie made out of chayotes. Mmmm! good, consistlike a pumpkn pie but a little too sweet for my taste. It would be good with whipping cream or maybe a little sour cream. Real easy too, I was surprised just how easy.
Now to find someone who will eat it as I am not into sweets but this will make a good addition at a bake sale. I still have quite a few more chayotes so will try a few other interesting looking recipes and maybe make another pie and freeze it. 
I eat sweet I do.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A cobb salad and a 1/6th slice of hubbys birthday cake (chocolate with a layer of apricot, espresso buttercream...drool).

Status
Not open for further replies.