What's for dinner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
They were nice and tender with hardly any seeds. Quite tasty!

I love squash, pretty much any kind of squash. I think butternut is my favorite, all that dark orange goodness. Yum! Love stuffed acorn squash, too.

Great pictures!!!

I have a Dr. Ocker's vegetable pizza in the freezer that's been calling to me for a couple of days now. I should just make it tonight and get it over with. They're rather small, so it wouldn't be a total disaster. I think it's a little over 700 calories, but that's pretty much all I'll eat today, so it should be OK.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I found a recipe that is fairly easy. You dip the eggplant in a beaten egg, then breadcrumbs and bake it at 450 for 10 minutes or so on each side, that's it!
Tell us how it goes! I keep unflavoured breadcrumbs around so I can use them for different things.
I've made it before and it came out so good I made it again the next night. :lol3:

It's very easy. Peel and cut the eggplant into 1/4" slices. salt them a bit and put between two plates for at least 30 minutes. Rinse with water and dry. Dip into beaten egg and then crumbs (I used panko). Place on a oiled baking sheet and then bake in a 450 degree oven for 7 minutes per side. You can then do whatever with them, cover with cheese and broil, top with sauce, etc.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Sounds wonderful!

I haven't a clue for dinner tonight .......partly because I don't know exactly when Rick will be home and if he'll stop on his way for a bite or expect dinner when he does get home. He'll call me and let me know what's going on. And then I'll take it from there.

Last edited:

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have one package of scallops in my freezer. They are going to be supper. I will bake some gluten free corn bread and haven't decided on sides. I am thinking a baked potato and maybe some steamed broccoli.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I'm thinking about some sauteed vegetables with pasta for tonight.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Last night, I made chicken sandwiches. I had a large chicken breast thawing. Halved it lengthwise, then pounded both halves flat. I have some McCormick Cowboy seasoning, which is really quite good, so I sprinkled that generously over both sides of each breast half. Fried them in spray in a nonstick pan until nice and brown with a good crust. Then I made a bit of a sauce, which was basically a bit of mayo, some ketchup, some hot sauce, and a little Liquid Smoke. Horseradish to taste. Toasted a couple long buns in the broiler. Added some lettuce leaves and tomato. Slathered the sauce on the buns and topped them with the chicken and the veggies. It was delicious! While I had the broiler on, I put some cheese on Rick's sandwich and melted it down a bit. Mine was an open-face sandwich with a bun half. And I threw just a little potato salad together to go with our sandwiches. Rick told me to definitely remember how I did it because he wants them again.

Not sure about tonight, since we're going for groceries. Usually when we get groceries, we just grab some kind of vegetarian pizza or something at the store. Til we get home and get everything put away, it's usually later and the last thing I want to do is cook.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
That sounds yummy, Pam!

Tonight is going to be a salad with chicken, turkey bacon, cucumber and I have to look to see what else I have. Maybe roasted red pepper, artichoke hearts, etc.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Baked herbed chicken, Lemon Herb Roasted Yukon gold potatoes, veggie herbed quinoa, and a salad (not pictured). All gluten free and homemade. :)

The trick to good quinoa is to substitute organic (I use gluten free) chicken stock, instead of using water. Use the same amount of liquid, and it gives so much more robust flavor! I also add in fresh herbs and seasonings to mine. (Roasted bell peppers and onion make great add-in!)

Last edited:

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I pulled out all the leftovers. We had two pork chops left from Friday night at the restaurant and a barbecued pork rib from Sunday at the restaurant. We had that with baked sweet potato, string beans, pears I cooked from our pear tree.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Our grocery had winter squash on sale for $ .79 a pound, so I bought a nice acorn squash and a nice butternut. Tonight's dinner will be stuffed acorn squash (with sauteed onions, spinach, and dried cranberries, among lots of other good things). Rick wanted a pizza last night with pepperoni; since we didn't do vegetarian last night, we will do it tonight.

I love squash. Tried to grow both acorn and butternut, but they didn't do well at all.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi abbysmum. Congratulations. How many years have you been married?
Ok. Questions. What exactly is a crock pot? If you don't have a slow cooker how to cook the lovely recipes that call for slow cooking. Eggplant recipes? Eggplant is very very
@blueeyrdgirl what lovely neighbours you have.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
A crock pot is a slow cooker.

I had to pick up a few items from the store on the way home, and some gorgeous fresh mushrooms called out to me. :)

We had a mushroom, pepper, onion and mozzarella omelet with a sliced baguette.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So if I see a recipe that grabs me but no crockpot how would I make said recipe?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you. I've been married 21 years. :)

You may be able to put it in a covered pot in the oven on a very low temperature.

Tonight is a repeat of last night's salad. I'm trying to clean out the fridge.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I"m looking along the lines of grilled pork chops with roasted butternut squash.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I managed up to 22 years. If I was - were? - still married it would be 43 years but we now share my apartment BUT not bedrooms.

Frozen schnitzel and frozen fries head bowed in shame face the colour of a tomato.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So if I see a recipe that grabs me but no crockpot how would I make said recipe?
When I've googled recipes for the crockpot, they had instructions sometimes for doing it in the oven instead. Check it out! And no bowing head in shame over frozen schnitzel; I wish I had stuff like that sometimes!

Making salmon patties for lunch in the oven. Going to pull out a roast to thaw for either me or the cats...we'll see what happens when it defrosts!

ETA: I am too weak when it comes to roast. I pulled two roasts out; a small one for me and a big one for the cats.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.