What's for dinner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a good multi-tasker (As long as it doesn't involve a washer and an iPod, that is)

The only reason we get the bones for free is because Rick's mom's cousin gives them to us. He says he's not going to do anything with them, so he's glad to give them to us. We're lucky to get them because even soup bones are expensive around here, too. Believe me, I appreciate them.

I think tonight is going to be a rehash of last night's Louisiana Red Beans and Rice. Rick is having his company holiday luncheon today and he's already said he won't be eating much at all for dinner tonight. I'll just heat the leftovers for myself.
Louisiana red beans?
I multi tasked 20 odd years ago but during the time I was alone at home I didn't have to and I lost the knack and the ability to think in the kitchen and I lost it all. Didn't bake anymore. Didn't cook anymore. Useless. That's me.
:thud:

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last edited by a moderator:

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are having a beef roast with mashed taters and gravy.  Yummy!  It smells so good all through the house.
You're Akillin' me.
A roast. Mashed Potatoes oh yum. Gravy!!!! Oh yum yum.
I love mashed tatties with gravy but I don't know how to make gravy.
Was it good?
No don't answer that!
So was it good?
:nod:

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ham and cheese when we make our own. Bake them, it takes about  half an hour. 

Tonight we had spaghettini with rose sauce and chicken. 
I'm going to drive you mad.
What can I use besides the ham?
What's rose sauce?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not sure, probably split pea soup with a couple English muffins. 

laralove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love mashed tatties with gravy but I don't know how to make gravy.

The way I make gravy is put equal parts butter and flour in a pan -- preferably a pan that's just had meat cooking in it, so I can scrape up all those delicious bits in the gravy). Let the butter melt first, then whisk in the flour. That's called a roux. Once the roux is the as brown as you want, add whatever liquid you need for the gravy you're going for. May be chicken stock (or the leftover fat and juices of whatever meat has just been cooked), may be milk or cream, may be crushed tomatoes with the liquid to be finished with cream later. Add seasoning (salt, pepper, whatever herbs and spices), and let it simmer on medium high so it reduces, concentrating the flavor and thickening. Do this until it's the consistency you want.

Love making gravy.

Oh, and serving sizes. So I use about 1 tablespoons of both butter and flour per serving, and then about 1/2 cup of liquid per serving. So if I'm cooking for four, I use a half stick of butter, a 4 Tbsp of flour, and 2 cups of liquid. More liquid if I want plenty of gravy for everyone.

Last edited:

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The way I make gravy is put equal parts butter and flour in a pan -- preferably a pan that's just had meat cooking in it, so I can scrape up all those delicious bits in the gravy). Let the butter melt first, then whisk in the flour. That's called a roux. Once the roux is the as brown as you want, add whatever liquid you need for the gravy you're going for. May be chicken stock (or the leftover fat and juices of whatever meat has just been cooked), may be milk or cream, may be crushed tomatoes with the liquid to be finished with cream later. Add seasoning (salt, pepper, whatever herbs and spices), and let it simmer on medium high so it reduces, concentrating the flavor and thickening. Do this until it's the consistency you want.

Love making gravy.

Oh, and serving sizes. So I use about 1 tablespoons of both butter and flour per serving, and then about 1/2 cup of liquid per serving. So if I'm cooking for four, I use a half stick of butter, a 4 Tbsp of flour, and 2 cups of liquid. More liquid if I want plenty of gravy for everyone.
Doesn't the food get cold while you're making the gravy?
Is that 2 cups of stock pp or altogether?
I can see you like to make it.
Can't you make it and post it to me?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I would love to stay at your house for a day or two. You always talk about the best sounding food you make.
I don't remember where you live, but you're more than welcome anytime. Rick and I went to Chicago; he went on company business and I went to visit with friends. My friend and I ended up making yeast rolls. We made the dough first, then went to Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. Then we came back and shaped and baked the rolls. My GF and I loved cooking together. I would love to cook with you.

Love making gravy.

You can also add wine to your gravy. I love to add red wine, especially when I'm making beef gravy. For two cups of liquid, I would use 1-1/2 cups of broth or stock and then 1/2 cup of red wine. Or to taste, whichever you prefer. When I make Cornish pasties, I will add wine to the gravy. Yum. And when I make gravy for prime rib and Yorkshire pudding, I always add wine, too.

It took me YEARS to make a good gravy. YEARS. I couldn't get the lumps out of it to save my soul. But I kept at it and kept at it and finally got the hang out of making a good gravy. In fact, when I finally figured it out, I made gravy one night with dinner. Our son looked at the gravy and then looked at me. Tasted the gravy, got up from the table and went over to the sink. When I asked him what in the world he was looking for, he said, "The jar the gravy came in....no way did YOU make this!" I was not amused and I think they heard my "HEYYYYYYYYY!" on Pluto. I was quite upset that he even compared the gravy that I had slaved over to a jar of processed gravy. Never even during my worst attempts did I settle for jarred gravy....although I remember a couple of times that I probably should have. 

Last edited:

laralove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

You can also add wine to your gravy. I love to add red wine, especially when I'm making beef gravy. For two cups of liquid, I would use 1-1/2 cups of broth or stock and then 1/2 cup of red wine. Or to taste, whichever you prefer. When I make Cornish pasties, I will add wine to the gravy. Yum. And when I make gravy for prime rib and Yorkshire pudding, I always add wine, too.

It took me YEARS to make a good gravy. YEARS. I couldn't get the lumps out of it to save my soul. But I kept at it and kept at it and finally got the hang out of making a good gravy. In fact, when I finally figured it out, I made gravy one night with dinner. Our son looked at the gravy and then looked at me. Tasted the gravy, got up from the table and went over to the sink. When I asked him what in the world he was looking for, he said, "The jar the gravy came in....no way did YOU make this!" I was not amused and I think they heard my "HEYYYYYYYYY!" on Pluto. I was quite upset that he even compared the gravy that I had slaved over to a jar of processed gravy. Never even during my worst attempts did I settle for jarred gravy....although I remember a couple of times that I probably should have. 

Ah, yes! I use white wine to deglaze pans fairly regularly and make gravy from that. 

Also, for those who have the issue of lumps: You can mix flour and water (or other liquid) in even parts in a container, just slowly adding the flour to the liquid and whisking until it's all smooth. That's a slurry. Then add that to the pan and whisk, being sure to pick up any browned bits of meat or whatever else is in the pan. 

But I've just recently found the glory of the cream sauce, so I've been making those a lot lately.

Last edited:

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to drive you mad.
What can I use besides the ham?
What's rose sauce?
You can stuff them with broccoli and cheese, marinara sauce and cheese, butter with herbs...basically anything. It's usually something and cheese. Rose sauce is a creamy tomato sauce. 

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't remember where you live, but you're more than welcome anytime. Rick and I went to Chicago; he went on company business and I went to visit with friends. My friend and I ended up making yeast rolls. We made the dough first, then went to Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. Then we came back and shaped and baked the rolls. My GF and I loved cooking together. I would love to cook with you.

It took me YEARS to make a good gravy. YEARS. I couldn't get the lumps out of it to save my soul. But I kept at it and kept at it and finally got the hang out of making a good gravy. In fact, when I finally figured it out, I made gravy one night with dinner. Our son looked at the gravy and then looked at me. Tasted the gravy, got up from the table and went over to the sink. When I asked him what in the world he was looking for, he said, "The jar the gravy came in....no way did YOU make
this!" I was not amused and I think they heard my "HEYYYYYYYYY!" on Pluto. I was quite upset that he even compared the
gravy that I had slaved over to a jar of processed gravy. Never even during my worst attempts did I settle for jarred gravy....although I remember a couple of times that I probably should have. :cringe:  
What a bad child! How old is he? Did he apologise? Did his dad say anything?
I don't drink so don't use wine when cooking.
If I could buy jared/jarred gravy I would in a flash. All I can buy is a disgusting packet that get mixed with water and tastes of soya. We have such good stuff but fall down on things that should be easy. I can only make chicken broth by mixing soup powder with whatever.

laralove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And how do you make it?
What I do is saute thin chicken breasts in a pan with olive oil until they're just about to where I want them, then take them out and wrap it in foil to stay warm. Then mince some garlic into the pan with a couple tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. When it's just started to brown, add a 14.5 ounce can of Italian seasoned diced tomatoes, a teaspoon of sugar, a teaspoon of oregano, and salt and pepper to taste. Bring that to a boil and continue to boil until most of the liquid has evaporated. [To speed up the process, withhold some of the liquid from the tomatoes when adding them.] Remove from heat, add 1/2 cup cream and a tablespoon of butter. This is when I usually add a few tablespoons of freshly chopped basil also. Then return to heat, add the chicken, and simmer about 5 minutes.  Viola... Herbed rose sauce. 

PRO TIP: When working with garlic, break however many cloves you need off the bulb, place into a plastic container or glass jar that is a fair amount larger than the cloves, and shake vigorously for 10 seconds. Remove the shaken garlic to a clean surface and the skins will peel right off. No hassle!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.