What's for dinner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We were going to have leftover southwestern turkey soup on Saturday night, but then I got this craving for pepperoni pizza, so we had that instead. We will have the turkey soup today...it's a good day for soup and cornbread. Got the soup out of the freezer this morning after my treadmill walk.
Silly question coming up. What's turkey soup? It's not like chicken soup is it!
I must be the only person in the world who dislikes pizza.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are having roast. We are going to hubbys parents house for dinner like we do every Sunday. No cooking, no dishes and they chase around after my daughter for a few hours.
Sounds good to me.
What do you make fo Sunday roast?
My mum used to make roast beef potatoes can't remember what veg Yorkshire pud and gravy. Yum. I don't remember the last time I had Yorkshire pud but it was before I left England and that was in 1968.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fried: sausages onions eggs and chips except the chips were microwaved. I like it with heinz spicy ketchup and mayonnaise mixed together. Very nice and very healthy.
:chescat:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Silly question coming up. What's turkey soup? It's not like chicken soup is it!
I must be the only person in the world who dislikes pizza.
My turkey soup is pretty much like chicken soup, yes, just turkey instead of chicken. This soup has a southwestern flair, with the addition of cumin, and dried dundicut chilis. And some corn. Each bowl of soup is sprinkled with crushed tortilla chips and shredded cheddar. I made the soup with our leftover turkey from Thanksgiving and threw it into the freezer.

I put red beans and andouille sausage with tomatoes in the crock pot this morning. We're going to have Louisiana Red Beans and Rice for dinner tonight. With some four bean salad....my MIL made the salad over the weekend and gave us a container. Rick doesn't eat bean salad, but I love the stuff.

Last edited:

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My turkey soup is pretty much like chicken soup, yes, just turkey instead of chicken. This soup has a southwestern flair, with the addition of cumin, and dried dundicut chilis. And some corn. Each bowl of soup is sprinkled with crushed tortilla chips and shredded cheddar. I made the soup with our leftover turkey from Thanksgiving and threw it into the freezer.

I put red beans and andouille sausage with tomatoes in the crock pot this morning. We're going to have Louisiana Red Beans and Rice for dinner tonight. With some four bean salad....my MIL made the salad over the weekend and gave us a container. Rick doesn't eat bean salad, but I love the stuff.
You Americans make such wonderful food. You have the advantage of being able to get everything in America and not have to bother about it being kosher.
If the turkey has already been cooked what flavour is left for soup?
When I make chicken soup I sometimes put the turkey neck in for extra flavour.
So did it not spill when you 'threw' it into the freezer?
:high5:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
You Americans make such wonderful food. You have the advantage of being able to get everything in America and not have to bother about it being kosher.
If the turkey has already been cooked what flavour is left for soup?
When I make chicken soup I sometimes put the turkey neck in for extra flavour.
So did it not spill when you 'threw' it into the freezer?
Because after the turkey has been roasted, I roast the bones with onions, celery, carrots, and herbs to make my own turkey broth. I make my own turkey and chicken broth whenever we have roast turkey and roast chicken. I would never throw the poultry bones away without making broth first. I make my own beef broth from roasting large beef bones....my MIL's cousin has a farm and whenever they butcher, he always gives me a huge trash bag of beef bones for making broth. It's an all-day project, but well worth it in the long run.

You cannot get anything better than homemade broth and stock...the flavor is just delicious.

I covered the soup container before 'throwing" it into the freezer. 
 You will find that I "throw" a lot of things around....I throw stuff into the freezer, I throw stuff into the fridge, I throw stuff into the ovens.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Because after the turkey has been roasted, I roast the bones with onions, celery, carrots, and herbs to make my own turkey broth. I make my own turkey and chicken broth whenever we have roast turkey and roast chicken. I would never throw the poultry bones away without making broth first. I make my own beef broth from roasting large beef bones....my MIL's cousin has a farm and whenever they butcher, he always gives me a huge trash bag of beef bones for making broth. It's an all-day project, but well worth it in the long run.

You cannot get anything better than homemade broth and stock...the flavor is just delicious.

I covered the soup container before 'throwing" it into the freezer. :lol3:  You will find that I "throw" a lot of things around....I throw stuff into the freezer, I throw stuff into the fridge, I throw stuff into the ovens.
I was being silly.
How on earth do you do all this broth making? You work outside the home as well don't you?
I have no idea how to make broth. I make chicken soup. Meat bones cost the earth here. I wish I could come to you for cooking lessons.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What do you make fo Sunday roast?
My mum used to make roast beef potatoes can't remember what veg Yorkshire pud and gravy. Yum. I don't remember the last time I had Yorkshire pud but it was before I left England and that was in 1968.
We had roast, potatoes, corn, buns and gravy. We always had yorkshire pudding growing up, but my mother in law doesn't usually make them.

Tonight we are having stuffed chicken breasts and potatoes.

mamabirdy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What recipes do you use for your "Yorkies"? I use a recipe from a famous Italian chef that I saw about 2 years ago and since I started using it, they have never failed. And they rise about 3 inches high. I use the following ingredients, plain flour, milk and eggs with a pinch of salt. I use a teacup and measure 1 cup of flour, 1 cup of milk and then however many eggs it takes to fill the cup and then blend them together and let it stand for about half hour before cooking them.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Crock pot chicken Cesar with fresh monzarella and bell peppers. Going to make a side of baked broccoli to go with it later! :)

catclan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I need to go food shopping because kitty emergencies have kept me close to home. Dinner will therefore showcase the elegance of carrot, onion, and potatoes roasted in foil in the oven. :)

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had roast, potatoes, corn, buns and gravy. We always had yorkshire pudding growing up, but my mother in law doesn't usually make them.

Tonight we are having stuffed chicken breasts and potatoes.
How do you stuff chicken breasts?
Your meal with your Mil sounds lovely.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What recipes do you use for your "Yorkies"? I use a recipe from a famous Italian chef that I saw about 2 years ago and since I started using it, they have never failed. And they rise about 3 inches high. I use the following ingredients, plain flour, milk and eggs with a pinch of salt. I use a teacup and measure 1 cup of flour, 1 cup of milk and then however many eggs it takes to fill the cup and then blend them together and let it stand for about half hour before cooking them.
How many eggs do you usually use?

mamabirdy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Stewball, its usually between 3 & 4 depending on the size of the eggs. As long as they fill the cup to the same level as the flour and the milk, that's all that matters. I tend to lightly beat each egg before I put it into the cup.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I was being silly.
How on earth do you do all this broth making? You work outside the home as well don't you?
I have no idea how to make broth. I make chicken soup. Meat bones cost the earth here. I wish I could come to you for cooking lessons.
I'm a good multi-tasker (As long as it doesn't involve a washer and an iPod, that is)

The only reason we get the bones for free is because Rick's mom's cousin gives them to us. He says he's not going to do anything with them, so he's glad to give them to us. We're lucky to get them because even soup bones are expensive around here, too. Believe me, I appreciate them.

I think tonight is going to be a rehash of last night's Louisiana Red Beans and Rice. Rick is having his company holiday luncheon today and he's already said he won't be eating much at all for dinner tonight. I'll just heat the leftovers for myself.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.