What's for dinner? - 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well I don't have a costos. Can't get frozen mangos. Don't live in America.
You could cut up a fresh one, freeze it and use that. mangoes are the best . 

the rose one sounds interesting. does it taste like perfume? I've seen turkish delight sold in the british foods section of our local grocery store but have heard too many people say it tastes like perfume. can't do it. 

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could cut up a fresh one, freeze it and use that. mangoes are the best . 

the rose one sounds interesting. does it taste like perfume? I've seen turkish delight sold in the british foods section of our local grocery store but have heard too many people say it tastes like perfume. can't do it. :cringe:
I was more complaining that we don't have a costos!
I don't know how to describe the taste of rose. I like it. I can't say or remember if it actually tastes like perfume. I also love turkish delight. You should try a piece. You might like it.

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is a recipe for the Rose Lassi - makes about 2 servings.(This should probably go in The Recipe thread, but since you are asking about it here...

1 1/2 cups yogurt
1/4 cup ice water (or crushed ice)
3 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons rose water, plus more to taste
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
Ground cinnamon
Rose petals, for garnish

Place yogurt, water, sugar, rose water, and spices in a blender. Blend on high speed until smooth and frothy. Serve cold, garnished with rose petals.

A Lassi is basically a smoothie made with yogurt and the fruit and/or spices of your choice. You can add more water to make it thinner if you like. They are really easy to make and you don't need any 'special' ingredients! And if you don't have a blender, put it in a bowl and use an egg beater!

Here is a link to 12 different Lassi recipes! 

http://www.buzzfeed.com/melissaharrison/summer-lassi-recipes#.nhDgVJPeo

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Braised pork chops with caramelized onions, cremini mushrooms and sour cream, garlic mashed potatoes and steamed broccoli. And for dessert, a baked apple with cajeta! 

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Barbequed duck breast wrapped in bacon, green lima beans, scalloped potatoes cooked with onions and gluten free cream of mushroom soup. Hubby had a roll.

Last edited:

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is a recipe for the Rose Lassi - makes about 2 servings.(This should probably go in The Recipe thread, but since you are asking about it here...

1 1/2 cups yogurt

1/4 cup ice water (or crushed ice)

3 tablespoons sugar

2 teaspoons rose water, plus more to taste

1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom

Ground cinnamon

Rose petals, for garnish

Place yogurt, water, sugar, rose water, and spices in a blender. Blend on high speed until smooth and frothy. Serve cold, garnished with rose petals.
A Lassi is basically a smoothie made with yogurt and the fruit and/or spices of your choice. You can add more water to make it thinner if you like. They are really easy to make and you don't need any 'special' ingredients! And if you don't have a blender, put it in a bowl and use an egg beater!

Here is a link to 12 different Lassi recipes! 

http://www.buzzfeed.com/melissaharrison/summer-lassi-recipes#.nhDgVJPeo
Thank you very much Fyllid. I can get rosewater in the supermarket. Tell me, is there anything you don't know? You are a mine of information. Thanks again.

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much Fyllid. I can get rosewater in the supermarket. Tell me, is there anything you don't know? You are a mine of information. Thanks again.
You're welcome!

Yes, there is a ton of stuff that I don't know, but I am a firm promoter of knowledge! I am an avid reader and I strongly believe that there is no such thing as a stupid question! I love learning new things and the only way I am going to experience new things is to go out and find them! People often ask me, "What is your favorite book?". I actually have three! The Bible, the dictionary and a thesaurus! I used to drool over encyclopedias, but since Google has emerged... I now drool on my keyboard! LOL

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Braised pork chops with caramelized onions, cremini mushrooms and sour cream, garlic mashed potatoes and steamed broccoli. And for dessert, a baked apple with cajeta! 
Do you cook all this lovely food just for yourself?

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
An egg roll with chilli sauce instead of sweet, chicken, again, cooked in veggies, noodles and potatoes cooked in a sweet sauce, take away. Was just ok.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're welcome!

Yes, there is a ton of stuff that I don't know, but I am a firm promoter of knowledge! I am an avid reader and I strongly believe that there is no such thing as a stupid question! I love learning new things and the only way I am going to experience new things is to go out and find them! People often ask me, "What is your favorite book?". I actually have three! The Bible, the dictionary and a thesaurus! I used to drool over encyclopedias, but since Google has emerged... I now drool on my keyboard! LOL
I also read a lot but only fiction. I use Google quite a bit otherwise iam ttremendously lazy. That should have been picked up by now.

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you cook all this lovely food just for yourself?
Uhmmmmm... yes. I usually cook about 3 or 4 times a week, depending on what kind of left-overs I have. Occasionally, my daughter will come for dinner and we cook together and she will take some home with her. Ironically, she is on her way over here now and we are going to order in a pizza and put up Christmas decorations. Tomorrow, I am going to go pick up a dressed rabbit from a local farmer and plan to make some Saurbraten  this weekend. It takes two days to marinate the rabbit, so I should be cooking it by Saturday! 

I love cooking and I love making things from different cultures. Italian, Mexican, Indian, Ethiopian, German, Chinese, Japanese, and French are some of the ones that come to mind, but there are so many more I want to try!  I've eaten a few things that not many have, LOL  Ostrich, alligator, turtle, rattlesnake, squirrel, squid, tripe, beef heart and brain, sheep liver, pigs feet and 'mountain oysters' (hog testicles), shark, frog legs and snails to name a few. I draw the line at worms and insects though. There are way too many other options! LOL

Fortunately, there is a huge International grocery about 30 miles from me. If they don't carry it, they will do everything in their power to order it for you! The variety of spices from around the world that they have is amazing! Unfortunately, I had to recently order Berebere from Ethiopia online, but Jungle Jim's is trying to get it in stock as it is a very popular spice in our area. 

Be adventurous and try new things! 

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Uhmmmmm... yes. I usually cook about 3 or 4 times a week, depending on what kind of left-overs I have. Occasionally, my daughter will come for dinner and we cook together and she will take some home with her. Ironically, she is on her way over here now and we are going to order in a pizza and put up Christmas decorations. Tomorrow, I am going to go pick up a dressed rabbit from a local farmer and plan to make some Saurbraten  this weekend. It takes two days to marinate the rabbit, so I should be cooking it by Saturday! 

I love cooking and I love making things from different cultures. Italian, Mexican, Indian, Ethiopian, German, Chinese, Japanese, and French are some of the ones that come to mind, but there are so many more I want to try!  I've eaten a few things that not many have, LOL  Ostrich, alligator, turtle, rattlesnake, squirrel, squid, tripe, beef heart and brain, sheep liver, pigs feet and 'mountain oysters' (hog testicles), shark, frog legs and snails to name a few. I draw the line at worms and insects though. There are way too many other options! LOL

Fortunately, there is a huge International grocery about 30 miles from me. If they don't carry it, they will do everything in their power to order it for you! The variety of spices from around the world that they have is amazing! Unfortunately, I had to recently order Berebere from Ethiopia online, but Jungle Jim's is trying to get it in stock as it is a
very popular spice in our area. 

Be adventurous and try new things! 
I've lost my nerve in the kitchen. I used to bake so much and now nearly all my cakes flop

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
La Choy canned chow mein with the requisite noodles. I abhor the stuff; Rick loves it. He's having that for dinner; I don't know what I'm making for myself yet.

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honey garlic chicken. One of my favourite recipes but it's bad for you so I don't make it often.
I'm curious...what is 'bad' about honey garlic chicken?  All three ingredients are very healthy!   

I roast a whole chicken after marinating it with a little thyme, oregano, paprika and some lemon juice and onions, then glaze it with a mix of honey, garlic and a dash of soy sauce and it's exquisite! 

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

La Choy canned chow mein with the requisite noodles. I abhor the stuff; Rick loves it. He's having that for dinner; I don't know what I'm making for myself yet.
I'm with you. That stuff is awful. My DH loved it too. 
 Must be a guy thing.

No idea what I'm making either. Maybe a turkey burger and salad. 

Status
Not open for further replies.