What's Everyone Reading??

rosehawke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by batgirl2good

I think they went downhill after the 3rd one, to be honest.
I'll still read it, though.
Actually I have the same opinion. Goblet of Fire was waaaaaay too long. I think after J. K. Rowling "made" it that she was reluctant to edit and her editors were reluctant to tell her to do it! Most writers get a word rate, but I suspect she's getting paid by the book so there was really no reason for that book to be so long. It could have benefitted immensely from some judicious cutting. JMHO of course

Cindy

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just finished Bob Dole's memoir One Soldier's Story. It covers his growing-up years, time in the Army, injury and subsequent recovery and rehab years.

I have the utmost respect for veterans and this memoir is excellent.

bigkittendaddy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today it is Acorna by Anne McCaffery

Yesterday it was Pay the Devil by Jack Higgins

Tomorrow' who Knows?

A book a day keeps the stupid people at bay.

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just finished Firestarter by Stephen King. This book was good, and at least it didn't give me nightmares like his book It did.

I am currently reading Nightmares and Dreamscapes a book of short stories, which is also written by Stephen King.

I also can't wait for the new Hary Potter book. Perhaps I should refresh my mind with these books as I haven't read any since Book 5 came out two years ago.

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katl8e

Just finished Jonathan Kellerman's latest Alex Delaware novel, Rage. Being a psychologist, Kellerman always throws in some strange plot twists.
I just finished reading that last week, it was great!!!
I just love that series!!

amirando

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i'm in between books right now. most recent was "trace" by patricia cornwell. i work as a substitute teacher and have come across some good books in teachers' classrooms, especially if i'm there for more than one day. i usually pull something off the shelf during the silent reading period at the beginning of the day and if it's good i'll try to finish it during lunch. i enjoyed issac asimov's "i, robot" this way (before i saw the movie) and got about halfway through philippa gregory's "the other boelyn girl" which i would love to finish. i'm waiting for the next harry potter book to get here, but keeping my eyes open for something to read until then.

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have my utmost respect and admiration. I have taught elementary school for 24 years. Substitutes are amazing, courageous people!

Originally Posted by amirando

i'm in between books right now. most recent was "trace" by patricia cornwell. i work as a substitute teacher and have come across some good books in teachers' classrooms, especially if i'm there for more than one day. i usually pull something off the shelf during the silent reading period at the beginning of the day and if it's good i'll try to finish it during lunch. i enjoyed issac asimov's "i, robot" this way (before i saw the movie) and got about halfway through philippa gregory's "the other boelyn girl" which i would love to finish. i'm waiting for the next harry potter book to get here, but keeping my eyes open for something to read until then.

jillian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm rereading Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. I cannot wait to read the new one!!! (=

rosehawke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jillian

I'm rereading Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. I cannot wait to read the new one!!! (=
I finished it yesterday
, and got a notification from Amazon this morning that the new one is on schedule to be delivered Saturday --- and to please refrain from calling customer service until after 7:00 pm if I don't get it

I'm not going to start another book between now and Saturday, as I don't want to be interrupted

Cindy

cyberkitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am reading some of Shirley Rousseau Murphy's books - my into to Dulcie and Joe Gray (cute cats!!). On Sat, I will be reading Harry Potter too - I planned to reread the pervious one (which I did last time) but found a sect in my newspaper that gave a good synopsis.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by RoseHawke

I finished it yesterday
, and got a notification from Amazon this morning that the new one is on schedule to be delivered Saturday --- and to please refrain from calling customer service until after 7:00 pm if I don't get it

I'm not going to start another book between now and Saturday, as I don't want to be interrupted

Cindy
I got that same e-mail. Darned if I'm going to fight the crowds, at Barnes & Noble, at midnight tomorrow!

bren.1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jillian

I just finished it for the 3rd time a few days ago. Also excited about the new one. I think I will be mental and go tonight.

Earlier this summer I read The Birth of Venus by Sarah Dunnant. Fabulous book set in Italy during the late 1400s to early 1500s. The main character is a rebellious and intelligent girl, and the book describes her life and how she deals in a restrictive environment, and discusses some of the political influences of the time. If you read the prologue, I promise you that you'll be determined to read the rest.

jillian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yesterday I headed to our local Borders, grabbed a stuffed, soft pretzel, and sat down with the new HP book. I got through 200 pages in two hours, and am planning on going back after work tonight!

Woo hoo for Harry Potter!!!

mom of 10 cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got it Saturday at about 1:30 PM and finished it 3:30 Sunday AM.

I am still stunned. (No spoilers, just that I am..still stunned)

Have to read it again, once Tybalt's done with it.

jillian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I finished Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince on Friday evening. Although the ending left me very sad, I'm confident in Rowling as an author to make sense of everything in the end.

jillian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My hubby and I just started reading The Magician's Nephew by C.S. Lewis this weekend.