What's been going on positive in your life? - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
 I think things are slowly calming down and we're getting back to whatever passes for normal in our family. It's been well over two years now since Rick's dad passed away and over a year since his mom went into assisted living. The house was sold a few months ago....to a young man in his early 20s, who wanted a fixer-upper. That ends over 50 years of us having ties to that neighborhood. We talked about it yesterday; it seems strange to just drive by the street going up into the neighborhood without going in to visit with either my parents or Rick's. I think it's stranger to me than it is to Rick; I drive by every day on my way to and from work. I used to stop in at my parents for coffee in the morning before they moved away and then both passed away. And I'd stop in to Rick's parents to visit and drop off baked treats for them. So it probably bothers me more. It's kind of like ending a chapter in a book, I guess.

It's been a year since Jackie came to live with us, a very, very long year. And it's not been easy, but we've managed. We bought her a new bed to celebrate. She likes rooting around on her top bed (the new one) and creating a pillow. That way she has her pillow and her main Kong bed. I think that, overall, she's happy here, even with all the screaming. She is still on Prozac, but there still is screaming again since she got used to the dosage. Rick did take the gate down between the living room and the kitchen. Our hips are all bruised from trying to get through the gate door with bags of groceries, laundry baskets and the like. I constantly stubbed my toe on the railing at the floor. He finally said enough was enough and took it down. We still have the gate up in the hallway (mainly because of her eating the cat poop from the litter boxes. I think she's still eating the poop from the litter box in the living room, but fortunately, Amber and Ms. Pepe tend to use that one for only peeing most of the time.).

We still miss Boo, but we're coming to terms with it. Rick misses him on his lap at night, although he says Ms. Pepe is happy that she only has to share his lap now with Amber. It's always difficult when a kitty passes away, whether the kitty is young or old, but you grieve and then you have to move on or you'll go crazy. We think about him and we talk about him often, about all silly antics, about his yowling. Rick says he can't use the ladder without thinking of Boo su-purr-vising whatever we did. You would think that with five other cats (and a Beast) in the house, that the loss of a kitty wouldn't leave such a hole in our hearts, but he was a special guy and he was well-loved by everybody, not just us.

Mollipop and Muffin still fight like cats and....cats. Snots, they both are. It is what it is and they will never get along. There is not a day that goes by that those two don't go at it and they're both equally at fault. So Muffin spends her days in her room when we're not home and she eats her meals in the bathroom because she doesn't like dealing with The Beast either. She will not eat in the kitchen, she refuses, and we just deal. When we're home, Muffin is out in the house and she seems content with the way things are. She sleeps in bed with us at night (so does Molli) and she seems comfortable to do so; I guess as long as I'm around to try to keep things on a even keel, she's OK. We've had no more stress-peeing, no more urinary tract infections with her, she's OK since we started keeping her in the computer room whenever we leave the house. She's a Diva, that one is. And I love her dearly. As I type this morning, Mollipop is lying on her pillow back here, glaring at Muffin, who's lying between my feet on the floor at my desk and who's glaring back up at Molli. Those two will never get along. No love lost there. But again, we're just trying to deal with those two, trying to keep things on an even keel.

So I guess we're doing ok and that's a positive thing in itself.

Last edited:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
big positive news here! yesterday i received my NY State property tax relief check -- $230!!! 
  i was going to my bank today, so deposited it. i swear, i looked at that check about 4 or 5 times yesterday afternoon and evening. first to make sure that i didn't simply dream it, then to make sure that it was genuine. no plans for the money at this point, other than saving it.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise

big positive news here! yesterday i received my NY State property tax relief check -- $230!!! 
  i was going to my bank today, so deposited it. i swear, i looked at that check about 4 or 5 times yesterday afternoon and evening. first to make sure that i didn't simply dream it, then to make sure that it was genuine. no plans for the money at this point, other than saving it.
Yay you! 
 Money, money, money, money....mon-ey!

My positive news? No snow yet! 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I booked a February getaway for us. :)

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I think I finished my Christmas shopping.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
My mother was less hostile when I spoke to her this morning. That's a positive at this point. :nod:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Just to Northern New England. :)

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Well, I received an excellent annual evaluation from my boss. He told me that I had done an outstanding job on the greenways document that we did earlier this year and, by doing the project in-house, we saved a ton of money. He was very pleased. And so...I am very pleased. 

And last night at the planning commission meeting, our Chair took a couple minutes before I gave my report to thank me for all the work that I've done in 2016. He said that anybody who knows me knows that I do not like meetings and that I especially do not like meetings that occur after 4:00 (my quitting time). He wanted me to know that he really appreciates my work. He is also the Chair of a municipal planning commission so we work together quite a bit.

It's nice to be recognized for doing your job sometimes. I know....it's my job. And believe me, I'm glad I have a job. But it's still nice to know that I'm appreciated.

ETA: And my boss just approved my vacation day requests. I'm taking two vacation days: December 27 and December 30. Life is good. 

Last edited:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I think all of the gifts are bought and wrapped (except for one) and the cards have been mailed. :)

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
My family had a nice day yesterday, with minimal drama.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Wow! No one has a single positive thing to say?

My new coffee maker seems to be working well and I am enjoying a really good cup of coffee. Sometimes it's the little things. :nod:

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I defended my dissertation for the last time in November and was awarded my Ph.D. this month.  It was A LONG, LONG time coming, let me tell you.  I guess I should make everyone around here refer to me as DOCTOR Lavish Squalor from now on, lol.  If I could just shake my depression over, uh, the recent happenings in the political world, I would be doing great.

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I defended my dissertation for the last time in November and was awarded my Ph.D. this month.  It was A LONG, LONG time coming, let me tell you.  I guess I should make everyone around here refer to me as DOCTOR Lavish Squalor from now on, lol.  If I could just shake my depression over, uh, the recent happenings in the political world, I would be doing great.
Congratulations

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise

Congratulations!  

This is a huge accomplishment!    What was your topic?  

Dr. Lavish Squalor has a nice ring to it.  
    Just imagine the business cards!  

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Congratulations! :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.