What to expect when she's expecting???

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

spooks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It seems that the longer Spooks stays out of her nest, or more frequently gets out the less they cry. I may just be reading too much out of it, but I'm thinking maybe it just took them a little bit to be comfortable without her. Either way they're crying less so that's one more little tick off my little "things to worry about" list[emoji]128076[/emoji]

spooks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay, before the birth I did SO much research and was so ready for any symptoms and situations and now I'm kind of at a loss! Other than consistent weight gain what milestones do I need to watch out for? I've heard they open their eyes at about 1 week give or take a few days and I should attempt to mix KMR with wet food at 4 weeks, right? I just want to make sure I don't think I've got it all figured out and then something tragic happens because I wasn't sure what to look for.

spooks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That is perfect! Thank you so much! One more question, if she's been out of the nest a while when she gets back in she will practically lay on top of them, I know she has plent of room so it seems like it's on purpose? I don't know if she's just trying to be loving or what

spooks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Weights for today!
#1- 198 (+25)
#2- 184 (+20)
#3- 190 (+21)
#4- 182 (+27)
#5- 171 (+21)

Is it normal for them to be gaining THIS much? Everything I've read says 6-10g a day, and they're gaining double that! Although I guess you can't really put kittens on a diet(-;

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Weights are great! All that weight gain is healthy. The 6-10 grams per day is the minimum. More is ideal.

I don't think mom is trying to lay on them deliberately. She is just trying to get close to them!

spooks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's what I thought, she also tries to lovingly rub her head against them but they do not like it one bit! She's a funny little thing, any time they may noise she stares at me and meows before caring for them she's always been so chatty and sometimes I swear she thinks she's a human too!

spooks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

spooks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Are little gasps/pants/sighs normal? I didn't think too much of it because they were all doing it but I'm afraid something may be wrong. They all do this thing where they will opens their mouths and breathe rapidly for a second, it doesn't really seem like a pant but I'm not too sure; I've read about URIs and pneumonia on this site and I'm a little worried they may have the symptoms, do you think I should take them to the vet?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
When do they do this? While nursing? After nursing? In general?

Last edited:

spooks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Definitely while nursing that's why I didn't think much of it, I thought they were just taking breaks to breathe, but I've noticed they'll do it in their sleep or if they're disturbed too.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I don't think it's cause for concern. It sounds like baby noises to me.

spooks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay, good, I've always been a worrier especially that I'm caring for 5 little things that are so delicate! I'll keep an eye on it just in case(-;

spooks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Weights for today:
#1- 216 (+20)
#2- 200 (+16)
#3- 205 (+15)
#4- 180 (-2)
#5- 209 (+38)

Should I supplement #4? I'm not sure how this happened, he was doing fine!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Uh oh, yes, you definitely need to supplement #4. He's clearly getting bullied off nipples. Weight loss is never good. He needs special attention right away. [emoji]128528[/emoji]

Last edited:

spooks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I tried at about 6:45 and he wouldn't take any, but I just tried again (8:15) and he's at least letting me put the syringe in his mouth but my syringe doesn't really go drop by drop more like .25mL at a time and I'm afraid of him breathing anything in so I think I'm gonna try to pick up an eye dropper or something that way I'll also be able to tell how much he's eating because as of right now it ends up all over my chest and his face. I'll keep trying every hour for now until I know he's eating something then I'll probably cut down to every 2 hours. I'll probably also weigh him more frequently just for my own peace of mind. Luckily it's the weekend so he has me just about all to himself I should be able to keep him on a pretty steady schedule

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
When a kitten needs supplementing, you are in charge. Not the kitten. Wrap him in a towel like a burrito, so only his head can move. The kitten will not want the syringe. He gets it anyway in the side of the mouth, drop by drop, tummy down, head up. Kitten must eat!

spooks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Got it! I'm glad you said that, I'll try again when I get home(-: