What temperature do you keep in the house?

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In addition to insulation, you may want to check into whether or not your windows are allowing air in. We have an older house and it needs new windows badly. This is something we are hoping to have done in the next few months. Carpeting also helps with keeping the home warm... You can purchase throw rugs to use if you don't want to put carpet down. Sorry if these things have all ready been mentioned, Ryan, I didn't have a chance to read the entire thread yet

In the winter we keep our thermostat set to about 69 or 70. In the summer, its up to 75 or 76, not by choice though. With our window problems, our AC can't get the house down to 72 (my ideal temp in summer). Our electric bill runs almost $400 in summer for that reason. In the winter, our has been down to about $200 because it doesn't get that cold here, so the heat doesn't have to run much.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by squirtle

Our electric bill runs almost $400 in summer for that reason. In the winter, our has been down to about $200 because it doesn't get that cold here, so the heat doesn't have to run much.
OMG that is expensive!! I think the highest bill I have seen here ws $175 and the lowest like $45. All electric house mind you. If my bil was $400 I would die! When our bill hit $175 I called the electric company and flipped out!
I had to explain that there was NO way that our bill should be that high. We don't run the dryer much and the heat at that time stayed on 66*. And there was DOUBLE insulation and it is a brand new house. I told her I didn't think the meter reader read our meter. (Lee later confirmed that he didn't as he was in the garage when he came that month and he didn't get out of the truck but it wasn't noted on our bill
) it hasn't been that high since.

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Phenomsmom

OMG that is expensive!! I think the highest bill I have seen here ws $175 and the lowest like $45. All electric house mind you. If my bil was $400 I would die! When our bill hit $175 I called the electric company and flipped out!
I had to explain that there was NO way that our bill should be that high. We don't run the dryer much and the heat at that time stayed on 66*. And there was DOUBLE insulation and it is a brand new house. I told her I didn't think the meter reader read our meter. (Lee later confirmed that he didn't as he was in the garage when he came that month and he didn't get out of the truck but it wasn't noted on our bill
) it hasn't been that high since.
I HATE our electric bill. I did forget to mention though, that about $40 of that amount accounts for the water (they are billed together). I can also credit about $50 to the cost of the pool pump running. So a $200 bill or so, is fine with me. But the $400 in summer KILLS me.
That is because of our ac running.... Like I said, we hope to have new windows in the next few months and that will help tremendously. Our windows are so bad that you can feel a draft if you stand next to them

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just can't tolerate the cold! I keep it about 70 in the heated rooms in the cold of Winter, and this is still with the plush robe, fuzzy socks and slippers. It's definitely good for me that the utilities are included in the rent. Hurry back, Summer

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually keep it at 68 while we're out, but then if it's colder when I get it, I will put it up to 72 max till it warms up then back down to 69-70 while we sleep, but I always get hot through the night & end up taking something off...

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With our all electric house the highest bill ever was around $125!!! And I was shocked at that amount. The wood stove really makes a difference!!
Wyan could also check around the doors as if there is a draft from the bottom the seals need to be replaced but in the mean time a rolled up towel or rug can block drafts!!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
***goes into work mode***

You really should have your insulation checked, the cost of upgrading your attic insulation (where most heat is lost) can be cheaper than the money you save over the year in heating costs and there are plenty of grants available for upgrading insulation as it saves our natural resources.

You should also check windows and doors to see if there is air leakage and you can buy cheap weather proofing strips to go around them if there is.

If you have a couple of attic accesses (particularly the ones with stairs installed) they are rarely insulated and you can save easily by buying a bag of R31/R40 batt insulation at home depot etc and laying them over the attic accesses.

If you have a clothes dryer with a vent pipe going outside, use a weather proofing seal around it.

Oh and if you have an uninsulated basement/crawlspace either block it off from the rest of the house or insulate it

sweet72947

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

I keep the house at a constant 80f year round, so I doubt I'd be much help.
But I have tropical birds, tropical fish in an unheated tank, and we use natural gas.
Can I come live with you?! My parents keep the house at 65 most of the time and I'm always so
! I have my space heater running all the time when I'm home!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sweet72947

Can I come live with you?! My parents keep the house at 65 most of the time and I'm always so
! I have my space heater running all the time when I'm home!
Sure, if you don't mind the couch, as I'm quite sure Jeremy doesn't want to give up his office and turn it in a bedroom

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
About 65*F. I would personally have it lower because everyone's turning up the heat in here and it gets so hot, even with shorts and a tshirt on.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by squirtle

Like I said, we hope to have new windows in the next few months and that will help tremendously. Our windows are so bad that you can feel a draft if you stand next to them
That's how our house (built in 1959) was, even with lots of weather stripping. We had new windows and doors installed last year, and it has made a huge difference. We don't have air conditioning, but open up the windows and doors at night (usually cool here in summer), and then keep them, and the shutters, closed all day. The new windows really "trap" the cooler air in the house.
It's too soon to say how much we're saving in heating costs, because so far the winter here has been very mild. I don't notice any drafts now, though.

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

That's how our house (built in 1959) was, even with lots of weather stripping. We had new windows and doors installed last year, and it has made a huge difference. We don't have air conditioning, but open up the windows and doors at night (usually cool here in summer), and then keep them, and the shutters, closed all day. The new windows really "trap" the cooler air in the house.
It's too soon to say how much we're saving in heating costs, because so far the winter here has been very mild. I don't notice any drafts now, though.
Wow! Hopefully we will notice a significant decrease in out electric bill then

Our home was built in the 60's.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
our heat is included in our rent. we are able to keep it 70 when not home or while sleeping, and 72-74 when home. (depends on if it's really cold out--our apartment is not well sealed)

my cats would be packing their bags if i kept it at 65 degrees!
raven and nabu get cold like i do.

snuzy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

I live in an igloo compared to some of you.
Ok, back to the original question. We have 2 zones, the first floor and the second floor. The second floor where the bedroom is stays around 60 during the day, and goes up to 62 at night. We prefer it cold when we sleep, and like to have extra blankets. We also crack a window sometimes.

The downstairs goes down to 58 at night, and is set to go to 66 a bit before we wake up. I normally lower it a bit during the day as we have a lot of large windows that face the south and the sun warms the rooms quite a bit. Once the sun goes down, I normally raise it back up. We do have hardwood floors, and they do get chilly, so I wear extra thick and fuzzy socks. Occasionally I do bump it up a few degrees if it gets real cold out.
We Massachusetts girls must be tough. We keep ours at 60 too. I'll nudge it up to 62 if I'm sitting around too long, but any higher than that and it gets too warm. My oldest son wouldn't want it any warmer either. Even at 60, he wears shorts and no shirt around the house BRRRRRR!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
We must be.
I don't think twice about running out barefoot for the mail in the winter!

My Gas bill came in today - $176. I use gas for heating, hot water, and cooking. I'm not looking forward to it getting colder.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It varies, we have it change during the day, evening and night and sometimes turn it up or down. In general it alternates from 72, 74,76 although sometimes I sneak and turn it up higher if I feel too cold.