What temperature do you keep in the house?

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

We have a programmable thermostat that we set to lower at midnight and come on about 1/2 hour before we get up in the morning and then lower again during the day while we are at work and again coming on before we get home. The kitties have lots of nice places to sleep (they paw the covers down on our bed and crawl under them). On weekends it is programmed to stay up during the day. Naturally if a weekday is a holiday it has to be manually set which is a piece of cake.
We also use a programmable thermostat. It is 62F/16C overnight, 70F/21C during the couple of hours we're getting ready and the 62F/16C during the day and then 70F/21C from about 4pm to 10pm. On the weekends, it is 65F/18C during the day. I figure we can always turn it up if it gets too cold and so often we're not here so it stays low. If I'm really chilled it can go up to 72F/22C. But no higher. In our house, 72F/22C was the most we could ever do. I couldn't handle one roommate who started turning up the heat to 83F/28F. It was too darn hot and the internal voices from my parents drove me nuts.

We will see how well I do this weekend when our highs are supposed to be about 10F/-12C.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in Central California, and yes, it can get cold here. It's been down to 30 F during the night. We have one of those heaterlator fireplaces - looks like wood burning, but it's cement logs with a blower. I usually have that going when I'm home.

I refuse to set the heat any higher than 67F because I get too warm, especially upstairs. I prefer to sleep in a cold room with the electric blanket on and I turn the heater OFF at night. I also wear fuzzy slippers and a sweatshirt around the house.

For some crazy reason I've noticed that people who live in the coldest climates keep their homes the warmest.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

I couldn't handle one roommate who started turning up the heat to 83F/28F. It was too darn hot and the internal voices from my parents drove me nuts.
I have a coworker who is like that with heat, she keeps the offices at 25-30 all day and the rest of us die from the heat and open the door or go stand in the cold because no matter how much you turn it down, the thermostat is right behind her desk and she turns it back up

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our flat is usually tropical, I keep turning it down and Nate keeps turning it up
When he has a day off and I am working I come home to what I describe as 'the wall of heat'. He has flu at the moment tho so I have let him turn it up. The thermometer says 27.5 Celsius right now. We don't let it get cold because the parrot isn't used to it.

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This probably may not help you much because I have a trailer, but I have two oil-filled radiator heaters, they are 1500 watts total. You can use the 600 watts or the 900 watts or use them together for the 1500 watts.

I keep the house at whatever the temp is outside. I do not use heat until I get home and see what the temps are going to be overnight outside. If the temps are going down to the mid 40's or less, I use the 600 watts in the kichen to warm the kitchen/living room area.

I just picked up the second oil-filled radiator because the bedroom was REALLY cold and I have used that only once for about 20 minutes at the 600 watt level and then had to shut if off.

I really get irked at having to pay twice for the winter heating....once for the gas and then the electricity to run the furnace so my way of getting even was to get the oil-filled radiators. Cats can not knock them over, they are warm....it takes while to heat up the house if it is really cool, but overall, I love them.

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We keep it at about 68-70 we kind of have to my dad has a chiuhauha and she gets cold very easily and we don't turn the heat up and down because that honestly causes the heater to have to work harder because it has to play catch up or atleast that's what I have always been told. And besides we have an outside woodburner so we don't use too much fuel to heat the trailor.

cubbie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

My landlord likes to freeze my butt off..I would say below 66..whatever that is in celcius..
You're in Canada! You should know celcius. Jeebus knows you use your extra "u"s.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I live in an igloo compared to some of you.
We also have the programmed thermostats. I highly recommend them. We installed them in our last house, and liked them. When we moved into this house we took our time installing them and regretted it. We saw an instant savings on the gas bill as soon as we did.

Ok, back to the original question. We have 2 zones, the first floor and the second floor. The second floor where the bedroom is stays around 60 during the day, and goes up to 62 at night. We prefer it cold when we sleep, and like to have extra blankets. We also crack a window sometimes.

The downstairs goes down to 58 at night, and is set to go to 66 a bit before we wake up. I normally lower it a bit during the day as we have a lot of large windows that face the south and the sun warms the rooms quite a bit. Once the sun goes down, I normally raise it back up. We do have hardwood floors, and they do get chilly, so I wear extra thick and fuzzy socks. Occasionally I do bump it up a few degrees if it gets real cold out.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our house is electric heat but mainly heated my the wood stove in the family room. As we have a quad level house its like this -our basement is unheated -when the temps dip on Monday (low of 0F) the beer in the basement is adequately chilled w/o extra refrigeration!! We have programable thermostats in the family room. kitchen and living room. The lowest they are set are 64F. The ave temp seems to be 66F lately so the electric heat isn't kicking on-however the kitchen and living room are above the unheated basement and the floor gets quite cold!! The family room is quite toasty we can pump the heat up to 73F!!! But we have two blankets on the sofa to provide extra warmth. The level with the 3 bedrooms and bathroom well the bedroom thermostats are very rarely turned on so I'm not sure of the temps but they are above the family room so they aren't too bad. Neil turns on the heat in the bathroom in the morning while getting ready for work-it warms up nicely!!
Wyan-you should check out the primloft moc's from Lands End-they will keep your feet warm!!! (Or break down and where your Sorels's around the house!!

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We try to keep it to around 24 (76). That's a nice temperature - of course, higher in winter. But it's going to be 40 (105) tomorrow, so we'll probably have the airconditioning on full-bore all day and stay inside. The babies will have to be indoors too. It's not safe to be out and about when it's that hot. Uggghhh. I like the heat (you almost have to, living here) but I don't like it when it's an furnace. But that's Perth summers

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We've had the house at about 70 lately. Sometimes we will go up to 72 or down to 68. It seems to be most efficient if we keep it about even. One advantage to our house is that sunny days heat it up quite a bit. I wear slippers around in the winter and have a nice comfy comforter on the couch year round.

luvslive

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our home gets cold fast because we have an un-insulated crawl space. It tends to be warm at the end of the house with the furnace and cold at the other end. The vents often blow cold air at that end of the house, even with the heat turned to 68 degrees. People always comment how cold it is in our house. When I go into business places I usually feel like I'm in a sauna..especially restraunts, I start to sweat! It is 8 below zero outside right now..the wind chills were awful today, something like 30 below. The forecast said that the Canadian cold air was headed our way...

enkeli-kitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We don't even have central heating! Our house is made of wood and tin...and that's it.
In winter, it's usally colder outside than inside!! Luckily it rarely gets below zero here. But we wear hats and gloves inside

On the plus side, in a family of six we get a "low electricity user discount" which is pretty good!! So if you want to try turning off your heating altogether you'll save a fair bit

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually keep it about 22 during the day but if I'm sitting watching tv and not moving around much I'll probably put the heating on to warm it up a bit. I'm lucky in that my flat retains heat well so I don't need the heating on much. I don't like it colder than that because Jaffa has thin fur and feels the cold. He also loves to lie against the radiator. I have the radiators on for a couple of hours in the morning so the temp gets up to about 23 and they are on a timer to go off at about 11am. By the time I get home from work it's usually dropped to about 21 but I leave Jaffa his snugglesafe heat pad in case he's cold
I then have the heating on until it reaches 23/24 - if it gets that warm I'll turn it off. I don't like it too warm at night - can't sleep if it's hot and stuffy.

julio

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have gas central heating throughout the house but there is a vast variation in temperatures throughout even if the heating has been on all day. The kitchen never gets above 16 degree C (62 F) ever in winter, whilst the sitting room will be about 70 degrees. This is because we have a long kitchen and no door between it and the hall, lol. I hate going into that kitchen in winter, lol
. I think we should have just put a door on it would make such a difference. I hate the cold. My feet are always like ice.
My cat Juma hates the cold too and likes to cuddle up in bed, lol.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ours is kept at 68* all year round. Wyan have you thought about checking into more or better insulation? I have learned that you can have the temperature you want and use less energy by having extra insulation in the walls and ceiling. When we built our home we used double whatthey recommend for the south. I can really tell on our power bill too compared with my parents who have a smaller home and keep the house warmer in the summer and cooler in the winter.