What happened to my cat?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Konner920

Well I don't know if he is. That's what we was told. we got him free we didn't pay for a cat.
Please don't worry about the specifics of Meow's breeding - it's not fair to you during this crisis...At this place in time, his actual breeding is a moot point - that's like arguing to a tow truck driver about whether the car getting towed is a Ford, Toyota, or Suzuki. Your cat's symptoms can happen to both moggies and purebreds.
I know all of us here at TCS are concerned for the cat and you. This thread is very frustrating for us all because you have not been getting the vet assistance that you NEED and HAVE PAID FOR
and many of us here wish that we could "beam" you to our vets and get some REAL care
Kudos to you for sacrificing your precious things to raise money for a second vet. Alsobless you for not blaming your sister (my 30yo daughter has brain damage & I used to volunteer in Sp.Day classes & know how unintentionally difficult Special people can be, without meaning to be)

It sounds like your cat may have been so traumatized and stressed from being hit with the clothes hamper, his immune system went too low and now he has a concurrent illness. Even though he is hiding, when you can, speak to him in a healing, soft voice; show him sympathy without trying to touch him; let him know that you are there for him; if you will, tell him that your TCS family is praying for him to get better. Cats don't always need touch to feel comforted. Tell Meow that as a member of a family with a "special needs" person, he is a very important kitty - part of the support system for your mom, brother & you.
Please keep us updated: MeowMix, Puppy, & your family are in our thoughts and prayers
Susan
P.S. I know that good cat care in your part of the nation can be difficult to come by. But I also know that prayers can work and miracles to happen
To you from California

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsknowme

Please don't worry about the specifics of Meow's breeding - it's not fair to you during this crisis...At this place in time, his actual breeding is a moot point - that's like arguing to a tow truck driver about whether the car getting towed is a Ford, Toyota, or Suzuki. Your cat's symptoms can happen to both moggies and purebreds.
I know all of us here at TCS are concerned for the cat and you. This thread is very frustrating for us all because you have not been getting the vet assistance that you NEED and HAVE PAID FOR
and many of us here wish that we could "beam" you to our vets and get some REAL care
Kudos to you for sacrificing your precious things to raise money for a second vet. Alsobless you for not blaming your sister (my 30yo daughter has brain damage & I used to volunteer in Sp.Day classes & know how unintentionally difficult Special people can be, without meaning to be)

It sounds like your cat may have been so traumatized and stressed from being hit with the clothes hamper, his immune system went too low and now he has a concurrent illness. Even though he is hiding, when you can, speak to him in a healing, soft voice; show him sympathy without trying to touch him; let him know that you are there for him; if you will, tell him that your TCS family is praying for him to get better. Cats don't always need touch to feel comforted. Tell Meow that as a member of a family with a "special needs" person, he is a very important kitty - part of the support system for your mom, brother & you.
Please keep us updated: MeowMix, Puppy, & your family are in our thoughts and prayers
Susan
P.S. I know that good cat care in your part of the nation can be difficult to come by. But I also know that prayers can work and miracles to happen
To you from California

Hi Konner,

How is your kitty doing today? Any news? Is he eating his food? How much? Do you think he is feeling any better? Worst? Are you able to give him the meds? Is he still hiding? is he using the litter box?
Any chance of going to another vet if we can find you a good place to go, close to your area?
Please keep us updated ok?

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Please don't worry about the specifics of Meow's breeding - it's not fair to you during this crisis...At this place in time, his actual breeding is a moot point
Thank you, thank you, catsknowme - I was thinking the EXACT same thing. That was a bit unnecessary...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

konner920

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Susan
To you from California
Thank you for that
I'll be trying everything

Originally Posted by Carolina

Hi Konner,

How is your kitty doing today? Any news? Is he eating his food? How much? Do you think he is feeling any better? Worst? Are you able to give him the meds? Is he still hiding? is he using the litter box?
Any chance of going to another vet if we can find you a good place to go, close to your area?
Please keep us updated ok?
We're waiting for the vet we normally go to. The road is being worked on right now so they can't get anyone in. They will actually do tests and everything on my cats to make sure nothings wrong.

He eats all of the food in the bowl, but he's not feeling any better. He still won't let us touch him or anything. We are not able to give him the meds, he just like spits them out. He's still hiding, he comes out every now and then for a while. I don't know if hes using the litter box. He goes in there and acts like hes going to but then he just walks away. He acts like he has brain damage. When he had a seizure a couple months ago he was never the same. He was very vocal compared to what he was like before. He acts like he has brain damage or he can't see right. His eyes are ALWAYS dilated now. He was in the kitchen and he was smelling the floor and when his nose hit the floor he would jump like it scared him.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thank you for that
I'll be trying everything

We're waiting for the vet we normally go to. The road is being worked on right now so they can't get anyone in. They will actually do tests and everything on my cats to make sure nothings wrong.

He eats all of the food in the bowl, but he's not feeling any better. He still won't let us touch him or anything. We are not able to give him the meds, he just like spits them out. He's still hiding, he comes out every now and then for a while. I don't know if hes using the litter box. He goes in there and acts like hes going to but then he just walks away. He acts like he has brain damage. When he had a seizure a couple months ago he was never the same. He was very vocal compared to what he was like before. He acts like he has brain damage or he can't see right. His eyes are ALWAYS dilated now. He was in the kitchen and he was smelling the floor and when his nose hit the floor he would jump like it scared him.
Dilated pupils can be for many reasons. His jumping out of the kitchen floor too - he can be getting startled easily now.
Please make sure to take him to a vet who WILL do tests to him and DEMAND an X-ray. Not only touching and feeling and sending you home.
It is great news that he is eating his whole food - this could mean he is better than you think; it could be a lot worst. Very sick cats often stop eating, and that can be a big problem... A good indication of how a cat is feeling is his eating... So that is great news. A cat who doesn't eat also runs the risk of the live shutting down, and that can be deadly.
Is the medicine in Pill form? There is something called Pill Pockets, that are little treats - you put the little pill in it, close it and give it to him. It is sold in pet stores or at the vets office - you can try that.
The litterbox habits worry me a LOT. This cat can be going through an UTI, or worst, it can have crystals or be blocked. This is also something very serious, blockage can kill a cat, and would explain him acting the way he is as it is extremely painful.
Make sure to get him to the vet ASAP, and get a Urine test done while in there too.
I don't understand how you do now know if he is using the litter box or not? If he is using there is something in there - if he is not, there isn't. Please, go look in his litter box and see if he is pooping and peeing - this is important. Ask your mom if she has been cleaning the box and if there was something in there. This is the kind of thing you need to keep a close eye on when you have a sick cat.
Is my cat eating? - keep an eye on the food!!
Is my cat using the litter box?? - keep an eye on the litterbox

Changes in these habits are indicators of health issues.

Give him more wet food just in case he is having urinary problems - the more the better. In fact, if he eats wet food well, try feeding him only wet so he keeps his hydration in check.

konner920

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My mom called our vet and they said they can't check him, it sounds more serious so they told us to go to this one place in stillwater oklahoma that has MRI machines, catscans etc. I got a picture of him, he's letting us pick him up.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good, it sounds like your mom is on board with it? When is he going to the vet?
It does sound like he is feeling a little better now, he is letting you pick him up... That is good news!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the update - Glad that he's feeling better, but those dilated pupils and his tense face show that he's not "out of the woods" yet. Sending mega TCS prayers and vibes that he gets to the vet soon, and that your mom gets some sort of financial assistance grant to help out with his medical needs

konner920

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A towel fell off the table and went over him and he had no clue how to get out from under it. D:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Good, it sounds like your mom is on board with it? When is he going to the vet?
It does sound like he is feeling a little better now, he is letting you pick him up... That is good news!

A towel fell off the table and went over him and he had no clue how to get out from under it. D:
Konner, when are you taking him to the vet?
Can you give us more details? Please?
Is he still hiding most of the time? Or he is coming out more now? Still hissing the same?
Have you checked the litterbox? Was there pee and poop in there?
We are trying to help, and are worried about your little boy...
When you have a chance, please post more details, ok?

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by threecatowner

Thank you, thank you, catsknowme - I was thinking the EXACT same thing. That was a bit unnecessary...
I'm sorry, you all seem to have misunderstood me. It was not about breeding, but about the fact that the cat is in pain and he has a gene that might be causing it (assuming the fold eared-parent hasn't been in x-ray before letting to mate). The OP told us that the cat was hit with a clothes hamper and was obviously in lots of pain after that, later got more sick. To me it sounds that he must have had some underlying problems, possibly sceletal abnormalities if he was so upset about being petted/handled. I hope I'm wrong (it's just that this reminds me of a case similar to this).
Lots of vibes for the kitty to heal fast.
And apologies if someone got offended by my worrying.

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by NorthernGlow

And apologies if someone got offended by my worrying.
We understand your passion re: breeding, but there is nothing the OP could do about this now. No harm, no foul...

konner920

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Konner, when are you taking him to the vet?
Can you give us more details? Please?
Is he still hiding most of the time? Or he is coming out more now? Still hissing the same?
Have you checked the litterbox? Was there pee and poop in there?
We are trying to help, and are worried about your little boy...
When you have a chance, please post more details, ok?
We can't take him. We don't have over 1k or more to get scans done on him. Our vet refuses to take him in since they think it's more serious.

He's coming around more now. he's a little scared still but he's meowing now and hes purring. But he won't use the litter box. Loud noises scare him also.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

We can't take him. We don't have over 1k or more to get scans done on him. Our vet refuses to take him in since they think it's more serious.

He's coming around more now. he's a little scared still but he's meowing now and hes purring. But he won't use the litter box. Loud noises scare him also.
Kooner, if that' is the case, not using the litterbox, this is a SERIOUS problem; if he is blocked with crystals (thus not urinating) he can die.

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A blocked cat can die in 2 days. If your cat is not peeing then he HAS to see a vet.

Make sure he eats every single day, it sounds like his liver isn't doing so well. I am glad that his appitite seems ok. You really need to try hard to get the meds in him. Wrap him up in a towel like a burrito, then tilt his head back & use your fingers to open his moth & drop the pill as far back as possible. Then hold his mouth closed until he swallows. Blowing on their nose lightly can make them swallow.

My cat has been sick for 4 and a half months with liver problems, he didn't eat on his own for 3 months straight and I had to force feed him. At the begining of his sickness his eyes were dialated too, I think it was because he felt crappy. The vet thought it was FIP at first too, but my cat would have died by now. We still don't know the exact cause of his problems but he is 80% normal now.

If I were you I would get out the phone book and look up vets. Start at the first one and call them & explain your situation. Ask if they will make payment plans. Call them all if you have to. If you find one make sure you get your records from the other vets faxed over.

It is hard to find a vet that will see you when you have no money, but if you explain your situation, how much you have already spent, and promise to make payments then you may find one. Also see if they will let you clean kennels or something to make up for some of the bill.

I really hope you can figure something out, it honestly sounds like he won't make it much longer without proper vet care. I am sorry your vets have been so aweful, it is hard to find the "perfect" vet. Most vets suck nowdays.

Many vibes for you & your kitty

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I could help more tangibly - but you and your family and your kitty are in my prayers every day.

konner920

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KatKisses

A blocked cat can die in 2 days. If your cat is not peeing then he HAS to see a vet.

Make sure he eats every single day, it sounds like his liver isn't doing so well. I am glad that his appitite seems ok. You really need to try hard to get the meds in him. Wrap him up in a towel like a burrito, then tilt his head back & use your fingers to open his moth & drop the pill as far back as possible. Then hold his mouth closed until he swallows. Blowing on their nose lightly can make them swallow.

My cat has been sick for 4 and a half months with liver problems, he didn't eat on his own for 3 months straight and I had to force feed him. At the begining of his sickness his eyes were dialated too, I think it was because he felt crappy. The vet thought it was FIP at first too, but my cat would have died by now. We still don't know the exact cause of his problems but he is 80% normal now.

If I were you I would get out the phone book and look up vets. Start at the first one and call them & explain your situation. Ask if they will make payment plans. Call them all if you have to. If you find one make sure you get your records from the other vets faxed over.

It is hard to find a vet that will see you when you have no money, but if you explain your situation, how much you have already spent, and promise to make payments then you may find one. Also see if they will let you clean kennels or something to make up for some of the bill.

I really hope you can figure something out, it honestly sounds like he won't make it much longer without proper vet care. I am sorry your vets have been so aweful, it is hard to find the "perfect" vet. Most vets suck nowdays.

Many vibes for you & your kitty
He uses my brother's floor. He's been doing his business in his room. He has been eating and drinking, he's meowing and purring but he still doesn't like to be picked up.

breamarie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to offer a different opinion: sometimes if you don't have the money, you don't have the money. I'm sure that you'd like to do all you can for your cat, but sometimes it just isn't possible.

I had a cat, Scarlett, who was wonderful. She loved everyone, was so sweet, etc. But she had major problems. She had serious liver, kidney, and food intolerance issues. She was always having some sort of health crisis. A few months ago, she stopped eating the one food on the face of the earth that she could tolerate (a $40 a bag hypoallergenic vet diet). She became badly jaundiced, lost 2 pounds off her 6 pound frame, and just wasn't herself.

There were things that we possibly could've done, but they would have been horrendously expensive, and it wasn't certain that they would've made a difference, anyway. We ended up putting her to sleep last month. It broke my heart, because she was such a great cat, and she was only about 4 or 5.

But sometimes, the money's just not there (or, as in our case, we didn't feel it would be wise to spend so much of the money we had), and you've gotta do what you've gotta do.

Don't feel bad if the money's run out (I was totally touched that you pawned your game systems for the vet treatment). You've done what you can, you can't get blood from a stone. Just make sure that your kitty is reasonably not in pain.

Good luck to you!

gothicangel69

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was thinking the same thing as BreaMarie. I have had to make the same decision before (My baby was only 2 years old- I had already spent $3,000,and the vets said he needed surgery which would cost more then $5,000, and that he may not survive. Ihad to make the difficult decision to have him pts because I didn't have the money to treat him.)
Even though it is very hard, you need to think about the quality of life this cat is having.
Its very upsetting when you have to make this sort of decision just because you don't have the money, but I think it may be something you need to consider if you are not able to get the poor dear to a vet and find out what is wrong. I know you love him very much, but its not fair having him suffer when you are not able to have him treated.

I really hope you can find a way to have this poor thing examined properly. I understand how frusterating some vets can be- sometimes, I dont know how some of them got their licenses.

Sending lots of vibes. I really hope everything works out for you.