What happened to my cat?

konner920

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My scottish fold cat used to be the sweetest cat and loved to be around people and loved attention. Sometimes I thought he never would stop purring, Well, my sister (She's 9 with cerebral palsy) decided to smash him with a clothes hamper while he was laying in the floor in the laundry room, and he went and hid. I didn't see him the whole day. Me and my brother went looking for him. He is a indoors cat. We found him behind some boards in the laundry room so we took him and put him on my parent's bed. He wouldn't move or eat and he acted like he was hurt, he scratched his back and bit his back when we tried petting him. The next day my brother tried picking him up and he started hissing and biting at him. He has never hissed or bit at someone. Or bit someone in a non playing way. He jumped off the bed and ran into the living room and hid under the love seat. He stayed there all night and almost all day. We took him to a cat clinic to get seen and he kept panting when we got him there. When we was trying to hold him down to get his temperature taken, he hissed and moved all around, He jumped off the counter and bit my mom really hard. He has extremely sharp teeth. The doctor came in and we ended up taking his temperature. He had a fever of 102, and he has fleas apparently. He won't respond to his name and he acts like he doesn't know who we are. He's not even 2 years old yet.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, he had a seizure in the past while he was sleeping.

Here is pictures of him

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

konner920

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Nope. They just said "We don't feel anything wrong with him, let's keep him over night"

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
He is probably in pain. I think you need to get a second opinion if the vet can't get a handle on how injured he is. I'm surprised that they won't do an xray.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would call in the morning and get an update. Then ask them to go ahead and do an x-ray.

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with everyone else. ^^^

Did you ever find out what caused the seizure?

I would deff get an xray, that is usually the first thing a vet would do in this case...
Have your tried comforting him? Try giving him treats/nip/attention to calm him some, he sounds like he is pretty upset. He could be acting out from pain/injuries, or he could be just upset but usually a cat doesn't stay "mad" for that long.

How long has be been like this, and how long ago did the accident happen?

He is a very beautiful cat! I don't know much about Scotish Folds, I didn't realize they could be black. How pretty!

I hope it is nothing major & he comes around soon.

konner920

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My mom is going to call them in the morning and hopefully hes eaten something. He hasn't eaten or drank anything at all. It's just so upsetting that he's doing this. He's usually nice and loyal and loves everyone. Now it seems he hates us all

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats usually behave like this when they are in a lot of pain... I think this might be the case with your poor baby... Please do not take this personally... If the vet still thinks "there is nothing wrong with him" take him to a second opinion at once. X-ray is definitely in order. If he doesn't eat or drink, make sure the vet give him some fluids.

konner920

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
we got him home, he doesn't act hurt. he looks confused and scared like he doesn't know where he is.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Konner920

we got him home, he doesn't act hurt. he looks confused and scared like he doesn't know where he is.
Sorry to break to you, but do not dismiss these signs - in cat language, that is very VERY likely to mean pain. Cats hide their pain and hurt from predators, they do not "show it" as you would expect - they show it by acting like what your cat is doing.
Please do take him to another vet...
Did you get an x-ray?

konner920

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Carolina

Sorry to break to you, but do not dismiss these signs - in cat language, that is very VERY likely to mean pain. Cats hide their pain and hurt from predators, they do not "show it" as you would expect - they show it by acting like what your cat is doing.
Please do take him to another vet...
Did you get an x-ray?
Nope they kept saying there's nothing wrong with him. They said they did blood work and got him up to date with his shots, but nothings wrong with him. they apparently don't have a x-ray machine. The vet we need to go to, is busy all week..

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Nope they kept saying there's nothing wrong with him. They said they did blood work and got him up to date with his shots, but nothings wrong with him. they apparently don't have a x-ray machine. The vet we need to go to, is busy all week..
Sorry.... The bloodwork will not really show anything if he got hurt by the clothes hamper - not really sure why they would do that, but oh well. I hope you can get your kitty to another vet soon, poor baby...
Keep a close eye on him - if he stops eating, using the box, has rappid breathing, or other symptoms apeear, take him straight to the emergency vet.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor cat. Already is in stress last thing it needed was shots. It really needs to be xrayed. if money is an issue call shelters to see if any low cost options. My one vet doesn't have xray machine but refers clients to a few different vets. Also if this may happen again it may be worth looking into rehoming the cat. If the hamper had hit his head he could suffer seizures, blindness, deafness or other stuff and organs if the belly. Was it an empty small basket or a full size full of clothes hamper? big difference

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have your mom call the vet that you want to go to and explain the situation and tell them that it's an emergency and the vet you're currently seeing is doing what needs to be done to help this cat. Ask them if they can work you in or if you can drop the cat off in the morning and pick it up in the afternoon.

konner920

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's finally coming around but he acts like he's not all there. You can EASILY tell there is something wrong with him. He keeps staggering and almost falling over. It looks like one of his hips is bigger than the other and he can't bend down or sit. just stand. He's in so much pain and we don't have any money. that crappy vet made us pay $180 of something we don't have.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, I am sorry you are on this situation, but you HAVE to take your cat to the vet - this is becoming an emergency now IMHO. My cat would be in the way to the ER tonight.
Can your mom apply for carecredit? She can use it immediately...
Please, please take him.... he needs help, and you and your mom are the only ones who can help him.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

He's finally coming around but he acts like he's not all there. You can EASILY tell there is something wrong with him. He keeps staggering and almost falling over. It looks like one of his hips is bigger than the other and he can't bend down or sit. just stand. He's in so much pain and we don't have any money. that crappy vet made us pay $180 of something we don't have.
Where do you live?

lotso'cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Please take him to a different vet soon. The swelling in the hips sounds like your cat has a VERY serious break. PLEASE do what you can to help him. He's in a ton of pain and needs your help.