What does your menu look like?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You know, since I now buy most of the meat locally, "meat cutting" days have gotten a LOT easier! It takes like no time to bag up their meals now. :nod: (Of course, I bag up the total for a meal for 8 cats - and make the individual portions at meal time). The ONLY PIA is goat and rabbit - those are the only ones I cut off the bone now. I otherwise buy boneless - and have the buying stuff on sale down to a science (almost). :lol3:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:flail: PsIMA .......
OK I found the video. It is a Bengal breeder in Texas. Go to Mark's video on his site. HOLY S&&& I couldn't believe the mess he made and I was just cracking up. Raw meat all over the kitchen...... Never saw anything like it before. He makes up HUGE batches :shocker: http://pictures-of-cats.org/raw-food-diet.html#Mark_prepares_his_batch
:crackup: Here I am freaking out washing my hands every time I cut/before and after preparing meat, cutting the meat and putting every small batch in the fridge to keep it cold as I cut...... And this guy just sticks his arms all the way to his armpits in the bucket :crackup:
Rinsing meat? I think he would laugh at my face :thud: OMG! :clap::clap::clap: One thing is for sure..... If his cats don't get sick..... I hope to heck mine don't :lol3:
Oh, and did you notice that after all this mess he was wearing gloves for packing? I was ckacking up about that one :lol3:

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:crackup: Here I am freaking out washing my hands every time I cut/before and after preparing meat, cutting the meat and putting every small batch in the fridge to keep it cold as I cut...... And this guy just sticks his arms all the way to his armpits in the bucket :crackup:
Rinsing meat? I think he would laugh at my face :thud: OMG! :clap::clap::clap: One thing is for sure..... If his cats don't get sick..... I hope to heck mine don't :lol3:
Oh, and did you notice that after all this mess he was wearing gloves for packing? I was ckacking up about that one :lol3:
:flail: I KNOW!!!!!!!! I do the same thing and I only prepare about one or two chubs per day and quickly re-freeze the packaged/weighed bags. I watched it again last night and was practically busting a gut. The guy is absolutely nuts and seems to have no concern for being sanitary with the raw meat :eek: I thought he was going to dive in the bucket :crackup: :flail: to mix it all up. Seriously, IF his cats don't get sick, yeah, you are right we have NOTHING to worry about. :lol: OH and yeah - the gloves for packing :scratch: It was like watching Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. I thought you would get a real kick out of that!!!!!

OH and did you see the first video when he takes the chicken onto his deck? He plops it on the "dirty" cutting board out there, chops away throws it to the cats, and the deck floor looks like e-coli and salmonella breeding ground, AND he is in his bare feet. OMG I couldn't believe it - :shocker: Ya think we worry too much :scratch: :flail:

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, he used that grinder so it really is like meatloaf! That is what commercially raw ground meat looks like too - meatloaf. :nod:
:nod: Ground raw looks exactly like uncooked meatloaf. :nod: The commercial stuff is then formed into patties - looks like uncooked shaped hamburgers.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Gary couldn't watch it. :lol3:
:crackup: Are you kidding me!!!!!!!! Well, I don't blame him - it WAS.... IS pretty scary. :flail: That guy is one crazy cat dude. I want to know how he cleaned up after all of that, OR if he even did :eek2: :lol2:

emilymaywilcha

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Someone explain to me how it is possible to do that and not make cats sick. Fear of illness is one reason I decided not to go the frankenprey route.

emilymaywilcha

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually, it just kind of proves the claims that cats' digestive systems can handle it. OR our food chain is a lot safer than we think!
Most likely the former. If the human food chain was safe in any way, there would be no such thing as food poisoning.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Food poisoning is more common in cooked foods. . .

But after seeing a farm dog toddle out to the ditch every day for a month to gnaw on a rotting dead deer, with no ill effects, I don't worry about what the animals eat :lol3:.

emilymaywilcha

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Food poisoning is more common in cooked foods. . .
But after seeing a farm dog toddle out to the ditch every day for a month to gnaw on a rotting dead deer, with no ill effects, I don't worry about what the animals eat.
That does not make any sense. If cooking meat kills harmful bacteria, how can there be food poisoning from it?

Of course, there are other reasons I am reluctant to make the switch, including fear I will mess up and my cat will be malnourished.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bacteria like warmth. So cooked food, once it's cooled to a temp that bacteria can grow in, they will grow in it, fast. Unless the food is cooled quickly to a temperature bacteria don't like, the bacteria will go wild in warm food. Plus handling by people who are sick--that's a major cause, too. Anyway, there are a zillion causes of food poisoning.

Although I certainly don't think humans should eat raw chicken. . .I saw an episode of Wife Swap, and the nutty lady on it ate everything raw, even chicken. She normally lived on a farm and the raw chicken she ate was fresh chicken she slaughtered herself, which is one thing. But when she went to the other house, she ate raw chicken she bought at the store! Which I think was a bad idea. But she's not dead yet :tongue2:.

How do we feed ourselves without dying from malnutrition? :dk: I dunno, I think we might overthink that aspect of feeding pets. Somehow they made it thousands of years without eating kibbles/canned food.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How do most people feed themselves to avoid being miserable and having high doctor bills? A human's dietary needs are more complicated than a cat's. But most of us manage not to suffer from malnutrition.

I'm sure there's a way to do a raw diet wrong and make your pet sick. But there's probably a lot more illness caused by store-brand kibble. Which is supposedly "complete and balanced". And most of time when you hear about a raw diet gone wrong, it's because the person didn't use common sense. If there's no calcium in the diet, if the diet is all liver, if there's no variety in the diet. . .those should be red flags to anyone with common sense. But then those are probably the people who would otherwise feed store-brand kibble, maybe :dk:.

Last edited: