What Breed is My Cat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Merro. Welcome to TCS! What a beautiful cat showed up at your home! Wonderful markings and looks like gorgeous gold eyes, set off by her dramatic eyeliner. She is like a movie star of cats!

Her coat pattern is Brown Mackerel Tabby and White. A "brown tabby" is really genetically a black tabby, because the base color is black and the darkest markings are black. But the lighter 'background' part of the tabby pattern often looks brownish, so they have traditionally been called "brown tabbies" But in some of them ( like this cat) the 'background' appears a cooler color, more grey.
It is interesting she apparently has a black nose? Tabbies usually have a reddish brown / pinkish brown nose, surrounded by the cat's base color -- in this case black ( or if the nose is in the middle of a white patch on the face, it's usually pink. ). but hers isn't piv
Most cats are not a specific breed or mix of breeds in the way most dogs are; Dogs are much more likely to have ancestors who have been selectively bred by humans. The vast majority of cats have bred randomly on their own over the centuries and their ancestors are mostly or entirely other random-bred cats from the same part of the world. These cats who aren't considered a particular breed or of unknown ancestry are often called Domestic Shorthair or Domestic Longhair.
But there's some differences in random-bred cats from different parts of the world.
Hmmm. she kind of reminds me of some cats from the Mediterranean region. but it 's subtle and may just be by chance.

hello can you please tell me what my cat breed i found her outside my home :
)

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Merro! I swear I had not even yet seen your post saying you are from Jordan when I said she looked like a cat from the Mediterranean area.
So I am feeling very clever, LOL .

I think she is just a very beautiful native cat of the region.
She looks similar to the cats from the Greek Islands that they are calling Aegean Cats.

And she looks a bit like some of cats from Turkey I have seen identiied as native Angoras (when they are in a summer coat) She looks mostly like a shorthair, but I don'[t know -- she does have a rather fluffy tail for a shorthair cat. and her coat is not extremely short. Hmmmm.. I wonder how it will look in winter ?

She is very striking. I think a lot of cat breeders would be very happy to get eyes like that, but she may have got them from Nature / God !

merro092

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ohh i didnt think how she would look like in winter ? :D I will post new photos in winter :) 

and yes her eyes are so beautiful Thank you 

ninja-kitteh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

This is Luna my cute kitty cat, I got her about two years ago from craigslist and the temporary owner said she bought her from a breeder but didn't know the breed... Any possibility someone knows her breed? or even a guess? she sheds allot so i take it she is medium haired. And her eye pupils get really large in the evening, i have no idea if that is normal or not for a cat xD

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They are very cute blue tabbies! Looks like you have one Blue Mackerel Tabby and one Blue Classic Tabby and White. Very attractive kitties.
Saprize!  Technically they are surely "moggies" or Domestic short hairs.  But they being so very much alike our typical Swedish "peasant cats" so you can surely say they are look alikes the European cat.

Which is the purebred version of said "peasant cat" here in Europe.

"American Shorthair" is essentially their historical alikes in the USA....Although with slightly different looks.

Very cute fellas, and what admiringly long tails!

Good luck!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ninja-Kitte!  Your cat is a (look alike) of a Turkish Van.  These black (or reddish) blotch on the head at the ears, the black tail... The rather long fur.

The breed not so common, but the pattern as such quite common.

She has also a big black part on her tummy, which isnt a part of the breed description, although I suspect common enough. But which I suppose is not so good for a show winner.

If the story of buying from a breeder is correct, she may even be purebred yes.  Although sold and buyed as pet quality.  Otherwise the buyer would of course know exactly, and have also paperworks to back up his claim.

Now we really dont know. For many, a breeder is simply the owner of the mom cat who got these kittens.

Anyway, Luna is a beautiful cat. I hope she is also a wonderful friend to you.

Good luck!

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@ Ninja Kitteh ,
Luna is a beautiful Blue and White cat ( and you've taken some great photos of her!) I do not really think she's a specific breed.

I really doubt someone would have bought a pedigreed kitten from a real breeder and then forgot what breed she was! Maybe the "breeder" was, as Stefan suggests, just the owner of a cat who happened to get pregnant, and mentioned in passing some breed that they thought Luna looked like, or that they thought the mother was. But breed must not have been a significant part of the conversation or how could you forget? I don't care if it's a cat bought as a pet. I can't imagine spending like $800 on a Turkish Van kitten and forgetting what breed the cat was.

I do not think she is a Turkish Van. For one thing, the coat texture doesn't look right especially in that last photo , she looks like she has a fluffy coat with an undercoat.
also even though not all Turkish Vans will have "perfect" markings, I think it is unusual even in the "pet quality" ones to have as much color as Luna.

She maybe looks a little like a Ragamuffin?
She might be a Ragdoll mix. ?
Anyway it is impossible to know , and she may be mostly from many generations of random-bred " Domestic Longhairs" . but she certainly is a beauty !

ninja-kitteh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ya, we tried asking the temporary owner what breed luna was but she had forgotten xD she has two huge dogs so she wanted to sell luna because she was in danger, it was quite strange. But her fur is super soft and never gets rough. She must be a mix because all the turkish vans ive seen are white with orange marks. By looking at google pics she seems like she has the eyes and pattern of a turkish van but the hair length of a ragamuffin. but she is a very loving cat! :p

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

lori1802

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Can anyone tell a possible breed of my female cat? I want to be able to put a name to her kittens once they're born and I get them new owners. Any sort of help would be greatly appreciated, the person I got her from was very uninformed and I'm pretty sure they found the kittens new homes much to early so I never bothered contacting her after I got my baby girl home.

Last edited:

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Unless you have pedigree papers from a reputable breeder, she is a domestic shorthair. Her color I would call tortie and white. She is a beautiful lady.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Can anyone tell a possible breed of my female cat? I want to be able to put a name to her kittens once they're born and I get them new owners. Any sort of help would be greatly appreciated, the person I got her from was very uninformed and I'm pretty sure they found the kittens new homes much to early so I never bothered contacting her after I got my baby girl home.
Tortoiseshell-and-white domestic shorthair, no particular breed. Tortie-and-whites are called calicos sometimes, though the idea of calico usually brings to mind more white than she has.

Is this the first time you've taken care of a pregnant cat? We have a good pregnancy/kitten forum. Some of us foster pregnant momcats for shelters, and some are hobby breeders, so you'll find some experienced people to advise you. Your cat can be spayed after the kittens are weaned, but you are right--it is better for the kittens to stay with the queen until they are older than that. They learn how to play nicely with each other, and how to be polite to humans, and how to use the litter box reliably. I once met a cat who was taken away from his mother too soon and he never learned how to lick himself clean. He had to be bathed, the poor thing! Ten weeks is good; twelve weeks is better. But you can certainly let potential new owners visit the kittens earlier, so they can get to know each other. It's better for the new owners that way; the kittens will have had their first shots and be old enough to be on their own, and some vets will do pediatric spay/neuter so the kittens can go to their new homes already fixed.

my wife and daughter found this beautiful cat, her name is Lila. Anybody know what breed she is?
She's a tortoiseshell domestic shorthair--in other words, a moggy or an alley cat, with no particular breed, or else a representative of the population of random-bred cats in your area.She's a very pretty girl.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.